What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

That's why I can't shave so fine.

Here in Brazil a blade costs less than US$ 0.05 (a Lord one, for instance, in packs of 50) and I shave 4 to 5 times with it.

DAMN

Glad I bought some vintage blades for US$ 1 each, I hope they will shave twenty times better.
You get what you pay for. That’s why beer tastes so much better after you ship it halfway around the world. To the locals it’s the cheap stuff but by the time it gets to you it’s premium imported.

Last edited:
I think that probably the most surprising thing for me about traditional wet shaving. I mean, I knew we all have different whiskers and the skin on our faces vary, but I had no idea shaving was this subjective. I expected a more commonality.... but that sure doesn't seem to be the case.

I think it was said here somewhere.. if you ask people to list their favorite and worst razor blade, for instance... there will be an equal number of votes for the best and worst. I find that odd. But that seems to be the norm... what works for one person might be horrible for someone else. That's why I try to determine what someone likes.... and if I'm looking for advice, get it from someone who has the same check boxes I have.
There was plenty of commonality in the old days compared to current times with the internet and hobby forums like this one. My personal view after shaving since I was 16-17 and am 70 now, is almost all blades, razors, soaps, brushes, etc. are as good as the person using them. It's like golf. You go out and take a lesson with a pro and gripe about your crappy clubs. He/she takes a few swings with them and crushes it. Only at the higher levels of experience, technique, curiosity about the minutiae between hardware and software will differences become noticeable. You want to be successful with shaving with a brush, soap and razor? Work on your technique, don't blame the gear. Hell, a guy can even lather Williams if they're dedicated enough! :D I think more guys are into this for the hobby of it and collecting than just getting a good shave in the morning. Just MY opinions, of course.

Clear misunderstanding of physics. Once you dry your brush manually, further drying occurs via evaporation, not gravity.
Ah, here we go…. :D

I understand that as I wrote before I store them also on the side and up. Bristle down is a myth or … is it… ?? 😀

…but still hanging brush looks cool :) and keep the knot dust free 😎

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There was plenty of commonality in the old days compared to current times with the internet and hobby forums like this one. My personal view after shaving since I was 16-17 and am 70 now, is almost all blades, razors, soaps, brushes, etc. are as good as the person using them. It's like golf. You go out and take a lesson with a pro and gripe about your crappy clubs. He/she takes a few swings with them and crushes it. Only at the higher levels of experience, technique, curiosity about the minutiae between hardware and software will differences become noticeable. You want to be successful with shaving with a brush, soap and razor? Work on your technique, don't blame the gear. Hell, a guy can even lather Williams if they're dedicated enough! :D I think more guys are into this for the hobby of it and collecting than just getting a good shave in the morning. Just MY opinions, of course.
I got better shaves since day one... before I found B&B a little under two weeks later. In a few days, I'll have 2 DE razors models and one AC SE razor model but I now have a brush collection. ;)

I am guilty of the latter though. I do love tools and gear. I do think shaving with one razor for 5 months has helped me develop my technique, so I'm glad for that. The plan is to use just the two DE models I recently purchased for the rest of the year, except for our month journey to Bali for dental work. I'll take my Claymore Evolution with me. It is easier to replace if it ends up getting stolen, though I doubt that will happen. I like becoming familiar with tools. They become old friends.

This isn't to say collecting is bad. There are so many different ways to approach life. I'm glad we aren't all the same.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
OK, you asked... :p

1. Most people don't have sensitive skin and a coarse beard: their technique just sucks.

2. There is zero science to making a decent lather; those patented techniques are a circle jerk.

3. Shaving with a straight is primarily a demonstration of perserverance (or bloody-mindedness).

4. Synthetic brushes are indubitably superior.

5. "YMMV" is for the pusillanimous.
Here goes...

1) There are no antonyms for pusillanimous adequate to riposte #5. But spunky comes close.

2) The vast majority of us had to look up "pusillanimous".

3) Many of us poor geographers here in the States fell further down a rabbit hole and had to use the Google to find out where the heck Aotearoa is.

YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom