What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Hear, hear!! Anti-propellant/unneeded cans since I first picked up a razor in the late 60s. Also a cheapskate... Williams Mug RIP, oh the humanity. (Was it killed by, dare I say it, Arko?)

And while I'm at it, I should go post an 'old man rant' about the disappearance of cardboard boxes of powdered laundry detergent to be replaced by plastic jugs containing mostly water.

One word…”Boraxo”

Costco sells giant tubs of powdered laundry detergent but it's still a plastic container. My wife prefers it. I like the giant bottles of liquid as I'm convinced the dissolve better in the wash. My old man rant is, where in the hell is my 5 cent Hershey bar and 10 cent RC cola, dammit???

I once got a Mickey Mantle in that 5 cent pack. I bel it was 1966 or 1967. It had the Yankees on a diagonal stripe on the top right.
Now that one should harvest one heck of a return on that .5 !!!!!!
If only I would have hung on to all those old cards I acquired back in the mid to late 60’s!!!!!$$$$$

You're right that it's not necessary to post a picture with every "shave of the day" posting though it should be up to each B&Ber based on preferences. I suspect that many of our members are proud of what they've collected or just feel sharing photos adds to how we can connect. YMMV likely applies here like everywhere else.

My approach has been to post a few photos here and there while mostly relying on my copy to participate. A few photo's, while not necessary, help make us more real to fellow B&Bers. We are fortunate in that I don't think there are many "fakes" posting on B&B.

So far I've only noticed one former member (mods deleted him from site early this year) who was likely a fake. This individual claimed to be ex military from Russia, always stated he had limited access to shaving tools in his geography, never really shared how he shaved while asking lots of questions on shaving items/topics he may have just found on the internet. He reached out to multiple members via private messages or in brotherhood threads trolling for free items or worse grooming to build relationships for some future purpose and at one point posting propaganda that Russia would never invade Ukraine. His B&B name was Latin for "Evil Storm". The mods did a good job removing him when he went berserk after being advised that the purpose of the Clubs and Brotherhoods was not solicit product donations from B&B members and that he should post on the BST. Hard to tell if he was here for personal or state sponsored professional reasons or perhaps both.
But a perfect fit for the Muhle R41………

(YMMV of course)
😊👍💈
Tell you what... I will give the Feather a last chance.
I'm done with the Iridiums too, but dont try to talk me out of that one.

Tell you what... I will give the Feather a last chance.
I'm done with the Iridiums too, but dont try to talk me out of that one.
Deal……Let’s take one blade at a time!😊
B6FEC5A9-34F3-4F9F-B2AE-8AF5A9FA569B.jpeg

Now that one should harvest one heck of a return on that .5 !!!!!!
If only I would have hung on to all those old cards I acquired back in the mid to late 60’s!!!!!$$$$$
That and my Willie Mays card were saved for a few years and then inadvertently thrown away. It’s a buy high sell low type of collection.

Hi, guys!

So we all know the shaving world is extremely YMMV, and even choices that seem to work for 90% of people don't work well for the other 10% (or perhaps the situation is reversed!) This is the thread to talk about them (mostly :biggrin:) judgment-free regardless of whether it's a difference in technique or prep, product preference, or whatever else you think might leave others shocked.

I'll start with a bit of a grenade:

I think canned Barbasol produces a pretty decent shave as long as it's preceded by good prep. Maybe because I have oily skin and it's somewhat drying.
I’ll bite- with the exception of the rare and independently wealthy individual who built a custom home around a shaving hobby, 99.9% of “dens” are actually multi use rooms also known as water closets, bathrooms, loos or crappers, but at any rate contain a bathtub or a shower and a sink. I’m new. Hope I didn’t get kicked off on my first day. Love this forum and the spirit of helpfulness and politeness here. Add to that, I can get DFS+ with a Braun series 7 electric if I use it as a wet shaver in the shower with Cremo. Yes, it takes forever and isn’t nearly as much fun, or as close as a DE, but if I’ve cut myself, over shaved a bit and need a rest, traveling, etc. I still use it 1-4 times a month.

Last edited:
If you want a so-so shave (and many guys are happy with them), get an electric. Some work better than others but none of them work anything close to a proper BBS wet shave by an experienced man. Axe me how I know!
Yep- I owned a Braun 7 for years before I learned to appreciate the “wet shave” function. I can get a good DFS in the shower with Cremo, it just takes a long time and it’s never going to be BBS- but it’s very acceptable and safe. Just not any fun, and not BBS.

Newer folks tend to be more passionate and share their rites of passage more often, myself included. After a decade of self mutilation I discovered the Overlander. I bought two and wrote a dozen posts on how it is THE razor. After a SS Timeless .95 OC fell in my lap and I was brave enough to try it, I realized where my place in this world should be. I’m likely to learn nothing more and hold strong that this, now is the perfect razor for EVERONE lol. Anyone know where I can buy a Timeless hat?😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Would love to hear more about Timeless vs Overlander- I’m a newb too, about 6 months into DE, several vintage Gillette TTO and adjustable, and a GC 84 tried so far But super intrigued by Blackbird, Timeless 95oc and Overlander. Finding GC 84 now too mild and I don’t like the adjustables really cranked up. Not made of $, but would like to eventually settle on 2-3 nice razors ranging from Blackbird to slightly more aggressive than GC84 and be done. Also tried all Dads old Schicks and the inherited Gems and those are not my cup of tea- I want to enjoy a good aggressive razor, not be worried about slicing myself the whole time.

Would love to hear more about Timeless vs Overlander- I’m a newb too, about 6 months into DE, several vintage Gillette TTO and adjustable, and a GC 84 tried so far But super intrigued by Blackbird, Timeless 95oc and Overlander. Finding GC 84 now too mild and I don’t like the adjustables really cranked up. Not made of $, but would like to eventually settle on 2-3 nice razors ranging from Blackbird to slightly more aggressive than GC84 and be done. Also tried all Dads old Schicks and the inherited Gems and those are not my cup of tea- I want to enjoy a good aggressive razor, not be worried about slicing myself the whole time.
There is so much information here regarding, as well differing opinions which are all correct. Personally (most agree I think), the Overlander is so brainless, enjoyable and successful in producing perfect shaves. I use mine 99% of the time when on a traveling work contract.

The Timeless .95 OC, for me, takes a tad more consideration yet is more fun to use. If you want to go for it, I suggest buying both. My bronze OC and Ti Slim, have been edged out and will be sold/traded after the holidays. Shiny and light are nice however I prefer the matte stainless the most so far.

I am not in the Blackbird camp personally and sold mine. Honestly, one really never knows until a razor can be used. If deals can be found, you won’t lose too much offloading the lessers here on the BST. Try them all 🥳.

Lastly, with time and technique, you just might be surprised how much you enjoy your inherited vintage razors. Like many folks, I have loved my journey thus far. It’s ironic I had to spend much money on a dozen new razors just to finally realized that $5 GEM is badass lol. Best of luck sir and have a blast.

Top Bottom