What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here’s one I’ve been thinking about recently. I think poorly of soap makers who include copies of well-known fragrances in their range (so-called dupes).

I get that many people might like to have their favourite commercial fragrance in one of their favourite soap bases, and there is a market for it. But I just can’t get past thinking that if somebody wants to be in the business of making scented soaps, and especially if they want it to be a premium product, then they should be confident enough to make their own scents and put out nothing but their own work. I don’t understand why they would be satisfied doing dupes when they could express themselves and make something of their own - maybe something really good. I don’t understand why they are in this business at all.

So I don’t buy those brands, even if some of them have highly rated soap bases. I won’t mention names.
As I've mentioned before... I'm not a scent person...so if a great soap maker adds an unscented soap to their line up.. I'm tempted. Ethos just came out with one but it's out of stock. So far, I only have Canada Shaving soap and Phoenix Scentsless CK-6, but the rest of my soaps and/or creams are lightly scented.

As I've mentioned before... I'm not a scent person...so if a great soap maker adds an unscented soap to their line up.. I'm tempted. Ethos just came out with one but it's out of stock. So far, I only have Canada Shaving soap and Phoenix Scentsless CK-6, but the rest of my soaps and/or creams are lightly scented.
There are definitely good scentless soaps, but you’re right they aren’t always easy to get. Don’t think they are big sellers but a lot of the good soap makers recognise the need for them and serve that market.

Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal, Noble Otter Bare, Macduff’s Aspen Parkland, Martin de Candre Nature, Fitjar Islands Holme, in addition the Ethos one are all great soaps (though Ethos is a brand that also sells dupes!). Abbate Y La Mantia Krokos (Saffron) isn’t scented to most people’s noses too, and they make interesting vegetal based skincare shaving soaps and aftershaves. The MdC, Abbate Y La Mantia and Fitjar ones are always easily available, and I think the Noble Otter is usually available.

You could get some incense sticks to burn while you shave, and I think that would be cool. Oaken Lab sells incense sticks in their shaving soap scents, even, and I think The Razor Company stocks them. I love Oaken Lab soap scents - very much like an expensive spa vibe. They don’t do dupes, by the way, they have a classy style in their scents.

Some artisan soaps are so heavily scented that opening the top of the jar/can peals the paint off of the walls. The container needs to be taken out into the forest and opened there. Then, it has to be left for a couple of days, open, to air out before being allowed back into the house. This also allows time to repair the damage caused by opening the jar inside of the house. Whatever happened to manly scents that were light and pleasant?

Slickness matters to me, scent well I certainly do not need it. I believe it is called a wet shave. Not a scratch and sniff shave...
Now I know I seen some coffee croaps out there and some yes bacon too. Anyone know of a nice egg - western omlet scented croap??
Then what should the after shave be? Whole wheat toast , butter & grape jam?
Now if you are a morning shaver, you might like this.
Royalties sre mine. $$$
Oh man, my bad...not to forget the pre-shave, slide in the fresh OJ with the plup...
egg.jpg

For me, specifically targeting youtube shave videos. Mainly the ones with a topic of a razor review. And then you find out, damn where is the razor? Now what H* is he talking about? Know I am guy that appreciates the Art of Not Wasting Time. So the ones that go on and on, painting his face for 20 minutes....with topics not about the razor. Or going down the rabbit hole of the scent, I am gone faster than one legged duck swimming in circle....Sorry no thumbs up from me. Focus Grasshopper.....
Almost all youtube shaving reviews are a complete waste of time, especially with a few of the more prolific reviewers. I gave up on them quickly. About the most interesting stuff has been the history of Gillette by Razor Emporium. But none of those guys have anything they can teach me.

Almost all youtube shaving reviews are a complete waste of time, especially with a few of the more prolific reviewers. I gave up on them quickly. About the most interesting stuff has been the history of Gillette by Razor Emporium. But none of those guys have anything they can teach me.
I find this site is a great with regards to vintage Gillette's.

On a thread discussing the merits of expensive versus inexpensive razors or brushes, within four posts someone will use a cheap versus expensive motor car analogy.

On a thread discussing how to extend blade life, within three posts someone will miss the point entirely and say "but life is too short' or 'but blades are so cheap'.

On a thread dicussing how to clean a brush, within two posts someone will come up with the witty and original line that they clean it with soap and water every time they use it. They may add 'lol' or 'just saying' at the end of their post in the style of a five year old.

On a thread asking for one single favourite of anything, witin a single post someone will choose more than one because they can't pick just one, they can't read the question, or they are just special.
Or their favorite Beatles song or Frank Sinatra song

Hi, guys!

So we all know the shaving world is extremely YMMV, and even choices that seem to work for 90% of people don't work well for the other 10% (or perhaps the situation is reversed!) This is the thread to talk about them (mostly :biggrin:) judgment-free regardless of whether it's a difference in technique or prep, product preference, or whatever else you think might leave others shocked.

I'll start with a bit of a grenade:

I think canned Barbasol produces a pretty decent shave as long as it's preceded by good prep. Maybe because I have oily skin and it's somewhat drying.
Who coined the word (proper) like it’s the be all end all in the shaving world, someone should make a list of just what is and is not (proper) when we shave

Reactions: CCS
Who coined the word (proper) like it’s the be all end all in the shaving world, someone should make a list of just what is and is not (proper) when we shave
I think this comes from British usage. Proper can mean many things. Things done properly are following the established rules and customs. A proper cup of tea is excellent or a very good example of its kind. A proper doctor is someone who is very well qualified for his job, etc.

My wife rolls her eyes every time I complain that I can't get a proper bagel in this town!

I think this comes from British usage. Proper can mean many things. Things done properly are following the established rules and customs. A proper cup of tea is excellent or a very good example of its kind. A proper doctor is someone who is very well qualified for his job, etc.
That's exactly how I think of it.

I've got one more unpopular opinion, if you're going to shave traditionally, use traditional gear and stay away from synthetic shaving brushes and get badger, boar, horse, or something real. I don't care how close they work to an organic brush, I ain't gonna use one. Blech!
I hate synthetic brushes, I tried to but just can’t get used to them

Spending time inventorying shave supplies, weighing soap containers, recording the number of lathers per tub, shave journaling, hot toweling, measuring the water temp inside a scuttle, drying and flipping blades = weird. 🤣😂 But heck who likes being normal…keep it strange my fellow shavers and have fun doing whatever makes you happy.
And you’re not hurting anyone

A German study analyzed shaving brush drying, and found that the brush dried fastest when it was resting on it's side, slightly tilted downwards. That's why you see the odd, non-traditional brush stand that presents the brush thus. Saponifico Verisino's brush stands are a good example.

As for controversial opinions, pore opening and closing, whether it be from cold water or magic, is a myth. They don't open or close.

Another myth I find frequently (but less than I used to) is the belief that "resting" a straight razor 24 hours or longer allows the edge to reset or re-form. This was just a marketing gimmick to sell multiple blades and 7 day sets.

I'd say YMMV, but in this particular instance, nope, the science doesn't lie.
I agree, my grandfather shaved with one straight razor, shaved every day no rest no problem

• Astra blades only excel at letter opening
  • Fresh air is one of the best aftershaves
  • Preshave is best used when you have negligible traces of dirt on your cooktop
  • Cold water is best for shaving
  • While warm water is best in the shower
  • Tea beats coffee
  • But no artisan stuff can beat good company - both human and the 1€ shaving cream's

I suppose traditional straight razor shaving is akin to cutting your lawn with a scythe. And of course you’d need a good whetstone for sharpening your scythe blade - maybe a selection of whetstones so you can optimise your scythe edge for the type of grass and the weather conditions. I bet you can do even better if you also strop your scythe every time, and oil it to ward off rust while you wait for the grass to grow.

You’d probably need to buy a bigger shed too, since your scythe collection and all the ancillary equipment will take up a lot more space than your petrol lawnmower did. And you’d need to read through all the scythe forum threads to know which stool is best for sitting on while you hone your scythes.

I started writing this post as a joke but I actually want to buy a scythe now and tell all my friends I’ve taken up scything as a hobby. And that’s just like traditional straight razor shaving too.

View attachment 1502510
And people will run with it

Top Bottom