What's new

Your Most "Meh" Aftershave

Anyone have that aftershave they are just "Meh" about? Mine is Acqua Velva Ice Blue. Why? It's the only consistent aftershave they sell where I am at. It's either AV or rubbing alcohol. I'd kill to be able to get more variety where I am at. Unfortunately I cannot even get other aftershaves in the mail.

So, what aftershave makes you go "Meh", and why?

I have dollar-store knock-off Brut. It smells as cheap as me.

I'd probably agree with this. I do enjoy that Brut vibe on occasion, but it's very light and short-lived. Makes me want the real thing. My other would be, believe it or not, Original Clubman. I appreciate the scent, I just rarely choose it because it's so familiar. I never seem to tire of AV Ice Blue and Skin Bracer. Or any of my Avons..

I'm trying to think which among my aftershaves I don't like. Mine might be Clubman also, just because I don't have a fragrance to wear with it and usually would like to smell different from it. I've smelled plenty of meh aftershaves in the store, but then I just don't buy them because they aren't better than what I have.

I have dollar-store knock-off Brut. It smells as cheap as me.

There have been a few of these around. I bought a bottle of Vi-Jon knockoff Brut back around 2009, and promptly forgot about it so I still have half the bottle. I've started using it again, wearing it along with real Brut cologne splash, and it's actually not bad. But I don't think it's possible to get that aftershave anywhere anymore. I haven't seen it in years. The Brut knockoff Dollar General sells now is extremely meh. I won't buy that. When the current knockoff aftershave runs out I'll just get current Brut aftershave.

I was really into Vanilla Clubman for a while, but I never seem to want to use it anymore.
I wore Vanilla Clubman to work once, and an angry colleague thought someone had sprayed bug spray in the room. Eau de Black Flag - nice.

I always liked it before that day. Now when I reach for it, all I can think of is Deep Woods Off.

Hilarious. A friend of mine let me borrow a tub of MdC in the original scent. Something about it makes me think of this natural insect repellent I use. The funny thing is, I associate the scent with fishing and I kind of like it...but not on my face first thing in the morning.

I feel that way about the Gillette cool wave aftershave. I think it’s the castol oil that makes it feel weird.

Aqua Velva Ice Blue was an acquired taste for me. I really like it now, turns out my girlfriend really loves AV, go figure.

I wore Vanilla Clubman to work once, and an angry colleague thought someone had sprayed bug spray in the room. Eau de Black Flag - nice.

I had a colleague give the same response a few years back when I was still a morning shaver!
Also, long story - short: my wife hated vanilla initially. I stashed it away for a few months then broke it out thinking she would forget about it. My wife was post-partum with our first son and when she smelled it said “what is that?!” Busted I though...but she loved it! My jaw nearly hit the floor. Pregnant ladies have weird senses of smell FYI.

I had a colleague give the same response a few years back when I was still a morning shaver!
Also, long story - short: my wife hated vanilla initially. I stashed it away for a few months then broke it out thinking she would forget about it. My wife was post-partum with our first son and when she smelled it said “what is that?!” Busted I though...but she loved it! My jaw nearly hit the floor. Pregnant ladies have weird senses of smell FYI.
Maybe I'll slap some on before bed tonight and see if my wife says anything.

Top Bottom