What's new

Your Morning Mug

John, I've heard of some people using "just off boil" water in their Moka pot to decrease the amount of time needed on the stovetop, thus decreasing the exposure to heat for the beans. Also, pulling the pot from the heat while the brew is still gurgling out will help as well. I've only tested this twice, and didn't perfect it so of course... ymmv.

I've tried the second trick, but not the first. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm an infrequent Moka pot user, as I feel like they need babysitting, and if I'm in the mood to make a real ritual out of it, I'll usually make Turkish or Espresso instead. I may have to experiment more with Moka pots.

SMs Sumatra Mandheling-Aceh Triple Pick. Roasted yesterday afternoon to FC - may have heard a snap of 2nd. May not have rested quite enough, but the first cup this morning sure was fruity for a Indonesian coffee.

-jim

15 grams of Counter Culture's Rustico, 26 second extraction. Repeat four times.

Rustico is currently my favorite espresso bean. Each and every time I pull a shot, I'm amazed at how damn good it is.

I found some Carte Noire instant I had in the back of a cupboard for making iced coffee. Thought I may as well use some, since I was out of beans.

Never Again.

-John

Two big mugs of Sumatran coffee (preferably Tullys or Timothy) with cream and sugar - equals a little more than 4 cups of coffee. This is followed at about 3 oclock with a mug of Bali Samsara black. :001_cool:

I prefer my morning mug cold. Cheers! Gent'& good morning!

Attachments

• $IMG_20130623_073034_870.jpg
    $IMG_20130623_073034_870.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 82
Sumatra Mandheling-Aceh Triple Pick roasted to City + last Wednesday brewed in my old (new to me) dripolator. It takes some care brewing freshly roasted coffee in a dripolator due to the bloom.

$yorkshire.jpg
Not a connoisseur's drink today- good old Yorkshire tea, brewed so strong a tea purist would die a little inside. Basically, tea-flavoured stew.

If you REALLY want your Yorkshire tea to taste of stew, brew it in a Thermos. Leave the tea bag in for at least five minutes, add a bare minimum of milk, then keep the Thermos lid on for the next couple of hours.

Possible side effects may include trying to colonise places, ignoring spellcheck when it complains about UK spellings, and talking about British history using personal pronouns that suggest you were personally involved in it.

-John

So this morning after telling myself repeatedly to bring my tea back to work so I can drink it I completely forgot about it again. So right now I'm drinking McD's coffee... not the worst coffee in the world... but far from the best but enough to get my going in the morning.

So this morning after telling myself repeatedly to bring my tea back to work so I can drink it I completely forgot about it again. So right now I'm drinking McD's coffee... not the worst coffee in the world... but far from the best but enough to get my going in the morning.

I think McD's coffee is pretty decent these days. It's Dark Magic from our Keurig for me. I've been sorely tempted to started grinding beans, but I've already gone from working from home to a 1 hour commute and now to DE shaving so how much earlier am I going to get up?

I think McD's coffee is pretty decent these days. It's Dark Magic from our Keurig for me. I've been sorely tempted to started grinding beans, but I've already gone from working from home to a 1 hour commute and now to DE shaving so how much earlier am I going to get up?
Well it is better than Tim Horton's coffee, and that is were most people go to get office coffee... which is mostly why I drink tea (when I remember my kit)

Had a cup of Starbucks brewed coffee as well. I asked for something light and instead of pouring from the giant vacuum pot, he took from a much smaller pot sitting beside it. It was a fine cup with few highlights.

A cup of Kirkland House Blend via a Melitta pour over cone. The beans are a decent dark roast (despite their "medium" advertisement) at an excellent price. There are many better locally roasted beans in the area, but since times have been tight lately, these will do quite nicely.

Mocha Java is my favorite blend. I get it in bulk (6# at a time) from coffieeandteawarehouse.com. I grind (burr grinder) it the night before and set it up on the timer in my drip pot. Drink it black, of course.

I've enjoyed viewing conversations on coffee for a while and finally decided to jump in the conversation seeing that my personal favourite hasn't been mentioned yet.
My personal favourite is the Arabica. (see: About Arabica coffee ) It is mild, and now that I've perfected the amount/fineness of the grind, I seem to
extract the most out of the beans to enjoy my coffee daily.

Takes 3 mins to grind/prepare my cuppa and then, it clears the fog off my brain and I am ready for the day.

Top Bottom