What's new

Your Least Favorite Scented Soap(s)

my first soap was an amazon offering, as I got my DE razor from there as well (a merkur).
the brand is Lather and Wood. Have not seen it mentioned much, if at all, on the forums. It is a good performer in my opinion. since getting other soaps I have quit using it, though. I love the scent though. my girl says it is old man all day long. Seems to me the TOBS Sandalwood is a love / hate. perhaps it is stronger than other brands. I quite like the sandalwood smell though.

my first soap was an amazon offering, as I got my DE razor from there as well (a merkur).
the brand is Lather and Wood. Have not seen it mentioned much, if at all, on the forums. It is a good performer in my opinion. since getting other soaps I have quit using it, though. I love the scent though. my girl says it is old man all day long. Seems to me the TOBS Sandalwood is a love / hate. perhaps it is stronger than other brands. I quite like the sandalwood smell though.
Wife banned TOBS sandalwood; she asked me if my tennis shoes were white with Velcro closures? I said, no and she replied the scent was a no go until I am wearing those types of shoes 🫡

I love the TOBS Sandalwood - I have it in soap form. It was one of the first scents I acquired when I got into DE shaving 10 years back. I just acquired Lather & Wood Barbershop which I like the scent. I purchased their Sandalwood at the same time, but I did not like or care for the scent. I sent it back to Amazon.

TOBS Sandalwood!
After using Proraso red, I decided to give it a shot because I found it on sale.
Opened the tube and took a whiff, yuck!!
Smells like an old cheap expired perfume.
Proraso takes the Sandalwood prize for sure!
I know sandalwood is different brand to brand but smelling the TOBS has me scared to spend money on any other Sandalwood. Besides, the Proraso smells so good that I'll just stick to it.
Now TOBS Cedarwood is something else!
Love it!
It's right up there with the Proraso red. The Cedarwood smells so good that I ordered 3 more tubs last week.
Next TOBS on the list to try is Lavender & Rose!

TOBS Sandalwood!
After using Proraso red, I decided to give it a shot because I found it on sale.
Opened the tube and took a whiff, yuck!!
Smells like an old cheap expired perfume.
Proraso takes the Sandalwood prize for sure!
I know sandalwood is different brand to brand but smelling the TOBS has me scared to spend money on any other Sandalwood. Besides, the Proraso smells so good that I'll just stick to it.
Now TOBS Cedarwood is something else!
Love it!
It's right up there with the Proraso red. The Cedarwood smells so good that I ordered 3 more tubs last week.
Next TOBS on the list to try is Lavender & Rose!

TOBS Sandalwood smells nothing like sandalwood, so don’t feel bad.

It’s a cinnamon, rose, and musk bomb of epic proportions. I use it and like it once in a while, but why TOBS chose to call it Sandalwood is beyond me.

I like Eton College and Cedarwood a lot. If you have not tried Eton I’d go for it. The Grapefruit is amazing too but it becomes more rose than grapefruit when lathered up!

TOBS sandalwood- too synthetic for me

B&M Full Measure of Man- love the pipe tobacco part of the scent but the maple syrup is too cloyingly sweet and makes it a no go

Stirling Gentleman- nothing like the description. Can’t really describe the scent but I get lemon with other stuff thrown in

Stirling Autumn Glory- lemons with a slight fall scent

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Any "flavoring" used in cooking/baking seems to destroy whatever it is you're making. I'm sure there are exceptions... we use real Vanilla extract... but not vanilla "flavoring". We watch several baking/cooking shows on TV.... esp. for baking, the "flavoring" get noticed by the judges almost always.. resulting in negative comments.

but back to the thread concerns... I don't like almond scented products either.

I tried Stirling’s Electric Sheep and Scots Pine Sheep over the weekend. The lather from mutton tallow is thick and smooth; couldn’t ask for a better lather. I personally liked the Scots Pine scent, not too strong and a close replication of the pine trees in my front yard. The Electric scent was another story; completely repulsive to my nose, so much so, that I had to wash it off. I’m airing out the puck in hopes that it will improve, but the splash and balm (which I didn’t use) smell exactly the same, so I’m bracing for disappointment.

I have quite a few Stirling soaps and Electric Sheep is the only one that disagreed with me.

For me, anything with almond as the top note. Personally I love eating almonds, but for some reason I have never found an almond based soap that I like

Are you referring to the marzipan scent?
I'm also not a huge fan of that.

However, DR Harris almond has a subtle bitter almond scent, no sweetness.
It's very subtle but beautiful!

I tried Stirling’s Electric Sheep and Scots Pine Sheep over the weekend. The lather from mutton tallow is thick and smooth; couldn’t ask for a better lather. I personally liked the Scots Pine scent, not too strong and a close replication of the pine trees in my front yard. The Electric scent was another story; completely repulsive to my nose, so much so, that I had to wash it off. I’m airing out the puck in hopes that it will improve, but the splash and balm (which I didn’t use) smell exactly the same, so I’m bracing for disappointment.

I have quite a few Stirling soaps and Electric Sheep is the only one that disagreed with me.
I’ve become somewhat of an expert croap maker to use up and hide 😶‍🌫️ offensive scents. The blends lather great, but a couple of the scents are still very overpowering. None of my neighbors will let me wash their pets to use up this stuff, so I might try to wash a few strays to do a good deed this week.

Top Bottom