What's new

Your Least Favorite Scented Soap(s)

Well it happens to all of us at some point, you discover a scented soap that triggers your gag reflex. I am so happy I found two of them with back to back purchases. Yeah, my win streak with soaps crushed. I loved the RE Barbershop soap, so I bought the Spring limited edition Peachy Klean. Absolutely no peach scent at all just a strong and lingering cheap floral fabric softener scent…you can’t wash the smell away either. I couldn't even give the AS away. How does one release a new scent into the public without testing it on a few folks first to see if will be well received…guessing they hope nobody talks to each other. Love their Rex razor.
280EE2AF-5AF4-4706-A6E2-9B7A4BF2157B.jpeg

I gotta give props to RE, they gave me a store credit when I inquired about returning the AS and soap. Classy, they stood behind their product line without any questions or push back. I am going to be gun shy for awhile buying any new soaps without smelling them first in person.

<3 Arko (had to lol!)

I really like Sandalwood but I don't use my Proraso red all that much. Was spoiled with AoS haha.

Frankly the scents that didn't jive with me at first ended up growing on me. Stirling Ben Franklin, Stirling Scotts Pine Sheep, Port-Au-Prince come to mind. Can't say I'd buy them again (maybe another sample down the line) but I'll finish them for sure.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I had Amber and Oud by (as I remember) Grooming Dept. I like both of those scents so I thought this would be a brilliant pick. Not so much.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If I look at the responses so far, with the exception of Tabac, the replies seem to fall into one of two groups.

- Low-end mainstream products that are using cheap ‘industrial’ scents that are used in a variety of products including shaving soap.

- Artisan makers with no perfumery experience and evidently suspect noses, who seem to be blending candle shop scents. Candle scents lean toward sweet, heavy, and sometimes cloying, because that small flame has to scent a room or more.

BTW, the first category is not universally bad IMO. The old Strop Shoppe scent ‘Black Tie’ is a commercial scent that you can buy by the 55 gallon drum if you want. It isn’t Floris but it isn’t bad either.

Top Bottom