What's new

Your "go-to" nibblies to go with Port ... ??

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got some white port to try. Some good stuff I think. Ware's Fine White Porto. The last stuff I tried was more of a cooking port I think, nasty! So I'll try again.

I googled "do you drink white port chilled" and it came up with this:

White Port is made in the same way as ruby Port, but using white grapes rather than red. They are rather good served chilled as an aperitif. Or drink it as guests do when they visit Taylor Fladgate's Quinta de Vargellas – poured over ice in a tall glass, topped up with tonic and a leaf of fresh mint.

My questions is.....Has anyone tried poured over ice with tonic and mint? That sounds really good!

My questions is.....Has anyone tried poured over ice with tonic and mint? That sounds really good!

"Port tonico"--Absolutely I have, in Portugal. More likely, If I recall, with a strip of lemon or orange zest, but mint is frequent garnish over there. Great, refreshing, common drink over there. Nice change up from the truly wonderful gin and tonics they make there. A fitting sophisticated aperitif, perhaps, over here. I think I have read of the French drinking white port as an aperitif, without tonic, I take it.

I’ll never be able to find that where I am.

It seems to be everywhere these days where I am. I had no idea there was such an unfulfilled demand to pay higher prices for tonic water! I do not love it myself. I think there is plenty of Canada Dry tonic used in Portugal! I prefer to make my own tonic syrup, but that is only because I enjoy the thrill of possibly poisoning myself and my guests with real quinine! :)

AA21D55C-9019-4B10-B4A1-FD779CD27FE9.jpeg410504B8-0A6E-46FD-8870-5704EBCD63E5.jpeg
Homemade with Offley White Port and a couple we had at a local Portuguese restaurant. I can’t remember which tonic I used, but it was probably Fever Tree. Great summer beverage!

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I picked up a 4 pack of Fever Tree club soda that was on sale for $4 a few weeks ago. I haven't done an A/B comparison, but I didn't really find any difference compared to Schweppes club soda.

20210202_150452.jpg

I only ever drink port with cheese, oatcakes and some form of chutney.

If you like stilton you should try and get a hold of a something similar to Blacksticks Blue. I'm not sure if they export outwith the UK but it's essentially an orange/yellow blue veined cheese. Similarly, if you ever come across a bottle of pink port, they are very nice (albeit rarer than than ruby, tawny etc)

A couple days ago I had Stilton, cut up Milwaukee dill pickles, and salted cashews with a young tawny port and it was quite good. Pickles were especially good with the Stilton cheese.

Last weekend it was walnuts, garlic stuffed olives along with some very nice aged cheddar and Camembert cheeses. It was really good. Especially the salty cheddar.

Such a weird mixture on a plate. Truthfully, for me it’s a normal mixture.... Having found how well port goes with my snack trays is exciting.

Top Bottom