What's new

Your Forum "Trademarks" ?

I'm in the process of reshooting photos for the B/S/T sub-forum. I know B&B already has guidelines for what needs to be included, but I've been scammed before. So I insert a few things in the B/S/T to mark my photos as mine.
-My handwriting in the photos is always in green ink.
-My user name is written as one word, the date is written in military style, and the forum is written as Badger&Blade.
-There's always a royal blue Bic lighter somewhere in the photo.
-The bottom right corner of the paper is always torn slightly. This is intentional. I think if someone were to steal my image, they would crop that out so it looks clean.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. Are there any small details you use to mark a post as "yours"?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I always watermark my pictures with "Shutterstock" or "Getty Images".

Just kidding.
I think having some personalization in your photos is a good idea. It does identify the pics as being from you as unaltered.
I think to a buyer, it probably means less, as they may not be aware of your particular "signature" traits.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think this informatiom would be more useful if it wasn't shared publicly.
I agree that it would be more useful to the seller to determine that someone had appropriated his photos.
I think to the buyer, it is largely a moot point.
Most buyers won't know the "tricks" used by the seller, and if the photo is copied by an unscrupulous seller, the buyer would be completely unaware.

If someone doesn't trust me after 10y, I will sell to someone else, no worries. As for buying, I only buy from established, trust worthy members.

I do like the little things people put into their photos to make them stand out as being from a certain member.

Next time I list something, I'll have to add something too.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm in the process of reshooting photos for the B/S/T sub-forum. I know B&B already has guidelines for what needs to be included, but I've been scammed before. So I insert a few things in the B/S/T to mark my photos as mine.
-My handwriting in the photos is always in green ink.
-My user name is written as one word, the date is written in military style, and the forum is written as Badger&Blade.
-There's always a royal blue Bic lighter somewhere in the photo.
-The bottom right corner of the paper is always torn slightly. This is intentional. I think if someone were to steal my image, they would crop that out so it looks clean.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid. Are there any small details you use to mark a post as "yours"?

Oh for sure. Here’s what I do -

My handwriting in the photos is always in green ink.
My user name is written as one word, the date is written in military style, and the forum is written as Badger&Blade.
There's always a royal blue Bic lighter somewhere in the photo.
The bottom right corner of the paper is always torn slightly.

I really hate scammers so this works for me!

Oh for sure. Here’s what I do -

My handwriting in the photos is always in green ink.
My user name is written as one word, the date is written in military style, and the forum is written as Badger&Blade.
There's always a royal blue Bic lighter somewhere in the photo.
The bottom right corner of the paper is always torn slightly.

I really hate scammers so this works for me!
Nice! I'm glad we have different user names :)

Is scamming a issue here ?
Have not bought or sold traded here yet but plan to do a little bit :) did sell one thing from a post though
reckon I would just stick to forum members that seem to post some and use common sense when looking ?

My mark will be great photos :) and poor/sloppy writing :)

Have not bought or sold traded here yet but plan to do a little bit :) did sell one thing from a post though
reckon I would just stick to forum members that seem to post some and use common sense when looking ?

Not that I've seen. My experience is that the B&B members are extremely generous and fair.

But a simple Google search gives you plenty of user photos of any product. Scammers can use these photos to appear legit.

It also prevents scammers from taking legitimate pictures forum members posted here and then using them to defraud others on ebay or elsewhere. 🙂

I'll be honest, I'd never considered any of this before. Then again, I've never sold anything on BST (I've only ever been a buyer). That said, I've posted photos of my shaving setups in various threads. Maybe I should do something to protect them (though I doubt anyone would use my crappy cellphone pictures* 😁).

*Hmm, maybe crappy cellphone photos can be my signature! 😉

It also prevents scammers from taking legitimate pictures forum members posted here and then using them to defraud others on ebay or elsewhere. 🙂

I'll be honest, I'd never considered any of this before. Then again, I've never sold anything on BST (I've only ever been a buyer). That said, I've posted photos of my shaving setups in various threads. Maybe I should do something to protect them (though I doubt anyone would use my crappy cellphone pictures* 😁).

*Hmm, maybe crappy cellphone photos can be my signature! 😉
Yeah the name on paper is a good idea for sure and can see that and can see them cropping it out if needed etc... just was not sure :) since new enough here and have not bought yet and I was thinking just common sense with who you are buying the names great people here

Another aspect is to be sure to write the date next to your user name. Yes, the date can be altered but having a date makes it harder for someone to use the photo to misrepresent.

I have had nothing but great experiences here on BST. The community here is transparent and helpful.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Rudy Vey always uses a golf ball in his photos. I think that’s neat and adds some scale. I guess my trademark is bad lighting. I can never get the correct angle. I don’t have a trademark beyond that. Never gave it much thought.

Rudy Vey always uses a golf ball in his photos. I think that’s neat and adds some scale. I guess my trademark is bad lighting. I can never get the correct angle. I don’t have a trademark beyond that. Never gave it much thought.
I figure your trademark must be the object which represents your username. :001_smile
IIRC you posted something many years ago and the photo included a small box with toothpicks spilling out. I remember it because it it matched your username so well. :lol:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I figure your trademark must be the object which represents your username. :001_smile
IIRC you posted something many years ago and the photo included a small box with toothpicks spilling out. I remember it because it it matched your username so well. :lol:

Ha! I guess you are right. I still keep a box of toothpicks on the desk. I’ll never be without!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sadly, there have been enough problems in the past that we've had to take various measures to protect the integrity of the BST as a "perk" of active, engaged membership in our community.

Almost all our members are decent, upstanding gents that one would have no hesitation doing business with ... but there are enough sharks out in the big bad internet who have access to signing up at B&B, that we have to take measures to protect our members.

Over the history of B&B, the BST has been the biggest PITA; the biggest drain on Mod time, effort, and energy.

Ever wonder why we have the "no friends-and-family Paypal payment" rule? Because guys got screwed sending money, not getting any goods, and having no recourse because as far as Paypal is concerned, they just sent a "gift" to the so-called-seller and can't get it back.
It also prevents scammers from taking legitimate pictures forum members posted here and then using them to defraud others on ebay or elsewhere.
I hadn't thought that far ahead. I suspect that there are enough photos out there that one can find on a rudimentary internet search that we aren't "solving that problem" but ... I guess every bit helps.

Our main aim was to ensure that a member here selling an item on the BST would show proof that he has the actual item in-hand.

Top Bottom