What's new

Your five favorite shaving brushes, for now.

Mine are as follows:

proxy.php

The Radioactive Core, The Rainbow, The Fire on Ice, The Pele's Fissure 8 Eruption, and The Chiller. Two synthetics and three badgers. Tomorrow, the list might be different, depending.

HPIM0277.JPG

Favorite to least Favorite.
Back left-Omega 10098, Back right-Luxury 10-5, 2nd from the front right-Klenzo B 1053, Middle front-Stag B 4565 with AoS starter knot, Far right-Vintage boar, 2nd from front left-Barburys by Sibel, Far left-Rubberset 200N

In no particular order...

Simpson X2L Colonel
B&B Essential Boar (mine is orange)
Morris and Forndran The Chief
Paladin Lemon Drop Sherlock
Stirling Synthetic

These are most of my brushes. I’m not sure how many I actually have, but I’d be hard pressed to narrow it down to the top 5. The first brush I got cost $20, and I still use it from time to time. I actually got one or two that I didn’t like, but I passed them on to others that might have a better experience with them. Each brush has something that makes it unique and special, and I want to keep them all.

The picture is one post down...

Love my current rotation (a few more than five):
Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band
Simpsons (Duke 2, Tulip 2, Chubby 1, 57, Classic 2, Wee Scot)
Old blond boar
Assorted others that get in from time to time

6F640F44-8727-4CDA-8A10-BFCAF6368BFA.jpeg
For now...

(L to R)
Erskine ??? w/24mm Elite HMW
Mozingo w/24mm Maggard’s 70/30
Dogwood w/28mm Declaration B5
Simpson’s Chubby 2 Super
Paladin HNB LE 26mm

some great photos. I'll have to line mine up for a photo too. Currently I have 8 brushes in the bathroom in regular use and another dozen or so "in storage." My top 5:
1. Rudy Vey 2 band silvertip fan knot horn and jade
2. Delong Silvertip
3. Semogue Owners Club Boar
4. Razorock 2 Band finest badger
5. West Cost Shaving Silvertip

I assume these aren't in order. I am curious as to how you would order them, specifically between that amazing Paladin Beehive and the Dogwood/Declaration.

No, they're not in order. I like them all for different reasons. In terms of softness, nothing I own can hold a candle to that Elite HMW. It doesn't have much backbone, but I use it with soft soaps and it works great. It's noticeably softer than any other brush I own, even when it's dry. I'm sort of looking for an excuse to get another, but I don't use this one enough to justify a second.

Dogwood/Declaration...I have only used this particular B5 twice, so it's hard to pass a judgement on it yet. The knot is gigantic, bigger than I expected. The Dogwood handle is visually stunning and is comfortable to hold. I have another B5, 24mm in a restored Rubberset 400. I like the knot (very soft, extremely dense) but, after several months of use, I'm not sure I like the long barber brush handle. I might wind up selling that brush...don't know yet. I sort of wish I had a B5 brush that was in between the sizes of the two I have.

I love the Paladin. The knot feels like a gooey, wet mop, but with backbone. The finish on the handle is impeccable. It's my first and only beehive. The shape isn't quite as comfortable in my hand as the Mozingo or the Dogwood but, overall, it probably comes closest to the perfect size and performance of any brush I own.

And I love the Mozingo w/the Maggard's mixed knot, too. It's a scrub machine, but with a two band badger feel. The handle is simple, but one of my favorites. It's just right for my hand size. I moved this knot out of another handle. I wanted a knot I really liked to be in a handle I really liked.

I seem to use certain brushes for certain soaps, so each brush has a unique role. It's hard to pick a favorite. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the Paladin, but I would have a hard time giving up most of my others, including some that didn't make the top 5.

Top Bottom