What's new

Your first three soaps?

Williams. - My dad started me on it when I was a kid.
Col. Conk Lime. - First soap I bought on my own as an adult.
Proraso Green. - First soap I bought after I found B and B.

My first 3, and so far my only:

Stirling Ozark Mtn
VDH Luxury
Arko in a bowl

I love all 3, but will be getting some more now that I figured out how to lather them...

I was anxious to get started, so I did my best with what I could find in town.

The first was Kiss My Face grapefruit pomegranate that I got from Whole Foods. It's not bad. I got a little sick of the scent, but I was able to get a decent lather.

Next was the Pacific shaving company caffeinated shaving cream from Target. I like the minty scent and I easily preferred it to the KMF.

Then I got a Taylor Of Old Bond Street tub of Mr Taylor for Father's Day. I had hinted that I wanted their Almond cream, but my wife got confused and saw it was highly rated. Wow! I really like the performance - but the scent is way too grandpa-in-a-barbershop for me. I got used to the smell, and by the 3rd pass, I don't mind it.

Then I ordered a ton of samples from Maggard so I could get a better picture of what's out there...there are just so many. I want them all!

Fancy named soaps may impress some people here but the truth is stick with simple soaps that are well proven and work every time.

Example of proven soaps...
Cella
VDH
ARKO

There are many soaps that claim to be better with a fancy name or smell but these three soaps will be around when they are gone and forgotten.

1. C.O. Bigelow - used it exclusively for first 30 days, no longer in den hate the film it leaves.
2. VDH Deluxe - ended up using it in shower, hated it.
3. RR Zi Peppino - enjoyed it so much bought TFS (who makes the Zi) Tobacco Verde puck, more intense and lasts a lot longer than the Croap, my overall #3 soap

First: AoS Lavender (non-tallow) - Christmas gift from my wife
Second: Taconic Shave Bay Rum
Third: Wet Shaving Products Mahogany

The Taconic and WSP Mahogany are still used - the AoS soap won't be replaced although the lavender scent is excellent.

Life is short. Don't hang on to your least favorite soaps at all. I worked and worked my Williams soap, then bought a lot of others. eventually, I found myself mixing the Williams in with Mike's Natural Soap. After awhile, I found myself just picking out the chunks of Williams and throwing it away. Then I took my unused Williams and gave it away. Life's too short.

Hey guys so I'm new here and I have gotten the shaving soap bug!!! My first and only three soaps I have are. These will be in order from what I purchased first

1) Razorock Don Marco (Vegan Formula) - I didn't know it was Vegan till it arrived (newbie mistake) but the lather isn't bad and wow that "dreamsicle" smell is great. I really like the soap and I'm still trying to master the art of getting a perfect lather and I'm getting better

2) Razorock For Chicago (Tallow/Aloe Formula) -now this stuff is great I love the manly smell to it. Its so easy to lather up, has a great thick lather that will give you great protection. The slickness is nice so going over a pass wouldn't be bad but I normally just leave it and get it on the next lather. All and all I'm really impressed with my first Tallow/Aloe soap.

3) Caiti's Bubbles LPD "spice of life" (Glycerin Formula) - now my first shave with it was yesterday and I loved it. The smell is a fall/winter fragrance, its a little spicy a little sweet. Unfortunately my wife's not a big fan of the smell but its not I've powering once your done shaving and a AS will mask it. The lather is nice the slickness is great (typical Glycerin) and the protection seemed great because I used my slanted head for the first time with this soap and not one nick.

Eventually I would really like to get an all Tallow soap but these three will last me awhile.

My first three soaps were near junk.

No magic discoveries, but I gradually upgraded my shaving with artisan shave soaps and now I'm happy!

Top Bottom