What's new

Your first shave ever: Year & Gear?

What was the year and gear of your first shave ever?

Mine was:
Year: Around 1987 (14-15 ish)
Razor/Blade : Gillette Contour/Atra borrowed from dad
Soap: Gillette foamy red
AS: Brut Green in plastic bottle.

(Stock photos)
brut.jpg

2023-01-04 20_40_36-gillette contour - Google Search.jpg

2023-01-04 20_39_59-Lot of 3 Gillette Foamy 1.5 oz Full Cans of Shaving Cream from 1990 _ eBay.jpg

Im guessing it was around 1984 or 5???
Gillette Atra, bought brand new!
Edge Gel. Grandfather taught me how to shave and that’s what he used.
Old Spice After Shave.

I used the Atra for many years, until I feel into the trap that if 2 blades in a cartridge are good, 3, 4 or 5 HAS to be better. Around the time the cartridges got over 5 blades and way over priced, I went to the safety razor. I still held on to the Atra for a lot of years (sentimental reasons) until it got lost in a move.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Im guessing it was around 1984 or 5???
Gillette Atra, bought brand new!
Edge Gel. Grandfather taught me how to shave and that’s what he used.
Old Spice After Shave.

I used the Atra for many years, until I feel into the trap that if 2 blades in a cartridge are good, 3, 4 or 5 HAS to be better. Around the time the cartridges got over 5 blades and way over priced, I went to the safety razor. I still held on to the Atra for a lot of years (sentimental reasons) until it got lost in a move.
Excellent of you to share this. I'm guessing that your Grandfather is from that great "Greatest Generation"..... Possibly the last generation that was filled with a majority of the men being gentlemen.

I honestly don't remember. It had to be around '74 or so. I would have done it when I was at home alone, with my Dad's Gillette DE of some kind, or a Schick SE injector. Probably used Noxzema (he put that SHTUFF on everything) because that was what I had seen him do. Man, I love these threads that remind me of him.

No idea - it was more than 50 years ago.

If I had to guess, it was probably the current Gillette cartridge of the time, and some canned foam.

No aftershave. I didn't even start using that until I got here, 9 months ago.

November 28, 1951, during the evening of my 15th birthday.

A new Gillette Black Tip Super Speed razor.
Gillette Blue Blade.
Gillette canned goo.
Plain alcohol. I knew nothing of aftershave lotions.
I focused mainly on the mustache area, probably one pass N-S. I don't recall any cuts or other problems.

Thanks for reviving a precious memory. I have a Black tipped Super speed, and I may use it on my next birthday, doing the conventional three pass shave.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
1978. I was 17 and used a Trac II and a can of Barbasol my father got me. He said, “your face looks dirty, go shave it before church.” So I did. And then went to church with a clean face and bits of toilet paper stuck to my face. :)

If I can remember, I think I was only shaving my upper lip, chin and two small spots on both of my cheeks.

Late 80's I guess. Trac II I'm fairly positive. Whatever foam was around the house. My dad was an electric guy- still is at 86 years old- and would have had no clue how to teach me to shave.

In 1993 I got my first DE when I went off to college. My mom's old blue Lady Gillette. She said blades were cheaper than the Trac II I was using. I guess I can blame her for all this stuff now.

1974. It was basically my upper lip and a little on the chin. I think I might have shaved 6 times that first year It was a Trac II and whatever can of "cream" my father had around. I used Old Spice and remember getting it into my mouth. Still to this day I remember that horrid taste. It took me the better part of half of the day to get that taste out of my mouth. I still can't use it.

Mine was 01 Jan 1970 using the items my dad gave me for my 18th birthday (31 Dec 1969). He said it was gift for registering to vote and the draft, yesterday.

The items:
Gillette Razor & Blade package
Tube of cream--don't remember the brand
Old Spice A/S

I think around 1991 maybe 1990. A Gillette Sensor I got from my dad (still have the handle - I cannot remember if I ever had another one or a cart before the Sensor) together with Gillette foam. Nicked myself on the chin and got burned for that when I entered the classroom that morning.

Switched to hard soaps and badger in 1995/1996 which phased out into electric shaving until December 2021. Now back into wet shaving using DEs and back for good.
Guido

Hard to say. Probably around 1991-92. Used some sort of cart, either a Gillette Sensor or one of the blue carts. Whatever canned goo my Dad was using at the time; I seem to remember it was Noxema? Cut myself so badly, all over.

1983/1984. My grandfather was a barber and taught me how to shave. The razor was an old Gillette TTO (SuperSpeed maybe) and the soap was from a crusty old puck of MWF. And a gross old boar brush that had seen better days.

If he saw my current collection of shaving gear he would roll in his grave. 😳

I was around 11/12 years young I guess early puberty hit, but only on the body, not on the mind!😂. So it must have being around 2001 or so.

Gillette sensor disposable and regular hand soap to make a really watery lather, no AS.

My dad would use a DE on and off, but he always had disposables at hand so thats what a grabbed.

Don't remember any cut or whippers, but I remember feeling embarrassed next day at school cause I felt my face was “naked” even though it was just peach fuzz, dark peach fuzz none the less.

Kids were ruthless so they would call me baby face😂. But I was fine since bulling wasn't really a thing back then, all you had to do was take it like a man, and wait it out till someone else would do something dumb or stupid, and then the laugh would turn to them, it was part of growing up!

Fast forward to my high school years, I had a mustache of envy! I would wear my mustache or goatee with pride knowing my testosterone levels were above the rest (thats what I would tell myself😂). Still the girls didn't find that too attractive anyways, they now were into guys with baby faces🤦‍♂️

Now I sport a clean shaven face. And…girls are into scruffy guys😂.

Who cares, I am married now and the wife enjoys the aftershave up close and personal😉.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Probably circa 1963 - the razor was my gramp's adjustable Gillette (so likely a Fat Boy, he wouldn't have had the brand new Slim). I remember the blue blades & a tube of .. something .. and blood. I seem to recall a styptic but didn't have a clue what it was for

I don't remember any aftershave until a couple years later I needed some English Leather

Top Bottom