What's new

Your first shave ever: Year & Gear?

2000 or 2001
Orange Bic disposable
Barbasol foam maybe. Some kind of foam.

I thought the foam was to help you see where you've already shaved. I didn't know about lubrication or light/no pressure. Dig in!

I remember slicing deep into the mole on my chin, and how long it bled.

Shaving is a lot better now. This hobby turned a chore into a ritual of self-pampering.

Either 1994 or 1995. My step dad let me use his Schick Tracer. The only thing that sticks out was him saying not to shave against the grain. I continued using a Tracer until 2002 when I read an Art of Shaving book. They advised Gillette Mach 3, soap, and, a brush so I switched.

Wow. Probably 1984 or 1985. Some double bladed razor w Barbasol cream or something similar.

Do recall I needed to shave once every two weeks in high school, once a week in college, then every day in the work world.

1982 shaving with a Gillette Atra and using Edge gel. Same razor my Dad used. The pivoting blade head helped my shave but it took shaving with a double edged razor for me to learn a whole lot more about shaving technique 😀

I started shaving in 1979, when I was fifteen years old. My freshman year in high school. A neighbor who was a couple of years older than me passed by in the high school hallway between classes while I was putting something away in my locker. "Time to shave off that hairy caterpillar," he said, meaning the darkened peach fuzz just above my upper lip. I took the hint and borrowed my father's Trac II and a can of Barbasol shaving cream.

Last edited:
IMG_1588208382367.JPEG

Bic disposable, white and yellow razor. Do not recommend. Still have the scar.

First shave about 1980 with a Norelco electric.

1673270924991.png

First *wet shave* was 2021. Merkur 34C / Feather Blade / C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream. Wish I'd discovered wet shaving back in the '80s when I was first getting started.

1673271095918.png
1673271133900.png
1673271165457.png

I can barely remember the last time I shaved, no idea of when my first shave was. I vaguely remember an electric shaver of some kind, I was in high school sometime around 1990. For my last shave I would have to see if I posted in the forums, my mind sucks...

Hi,

1976. Dad gave me a Pre War Tech, which I still have. He gave me a Rubberset brush, which I still have. He was using Yardley soap and Schick blades then. I no longer have those. ;)

Stan

Somewhere in 1990.

I was a Freshmen in a catholic high school where no one was allowed to have facial hair. A pretty good mustache had started coming in 2 years prior, but I really didn’t want to shave being the rebellious kid I was (and still am), so I didn’t.

So my first shave was some used cheap twin disposable (courtesy of the high school) and water, no foam or anything. That was no fun! ☺️

Not counting the plastic razor I shaved with or the even the fake electric that had a battery powered buzzing, it would have to be mid 1970's Either the 1957 Gillette Tech or the 1969 Super that we had with whatever blade was in there (the razors are still in my den to this day, thanks to my big brother). We used canned foam (not sure the brand). I probably only shaved half a dozen times the first year, but by senior year in high school I probably had enough whiskers to grow a beard if my parents would have let me.

Late 80s. I used some sort of Gillette cartridge razor (name long forgotten) and BIC yellow disposable razors. The Bic's gave a very close shave but always left me bloodied

Back then the Palmolive stick was readily available. I used some no name boar brush.

Think years was summer of 61 or, 62 uncle gave me used electric to shave off peach fur it only irritated face. When I went home after summer at grandmas, I left the electric behind on purpose.

Do not recall brand, or color, but recall being able to remove head, being able to remove inside blades that were square shaped, then that you could clean heads well with little brush, and back & forth motion. The fun shaved off was all over the place, it awful shaving experience. More massager then shaver.

Top Bottom