What's new

Your first cologne

Probably Brut. Or Adidas. Or English Leather. Or Canoe. First one that got a girl's attention....Gravity. Wore it by the gallon. :thumbup1:

Polo and Drakkar filled the halls of my middle school. I got my first bottle of Drakkar one Christmas and wondered why in the hell people liked this stuff. 48 sprays and I wasn't feeling it. Felt kind of sick to the tummy, really.

I got my first cologne when I was about 12 years old in my Christmas stocking. It was Wild Country from Avon :laugh:. A family member has been selling Avon for decades and the house was filled with Avon products. Thanks for the flashback.

thank you, now I have to track down what that first Avon scent was!

First for me was a gift from my older sister when I was in Jr. High I guess : Preferred Stock. I wasn't a scent person but I wore it occasionally, and thought the scent was decent.

Later in high school, I purchased a cologne that I used on and off through HS and college. It wasn't just a scent, it was a force of nature... Gravity.

I honestly can't remember if I finished the bottles or if they just got tossed along the way. I almost picked up a bottle of Gravity for nostalgia's sake, but then I came to my senses and realized I had quite enough olfactory enhancements on my shelf already.

lacoste original 1984. i got it as a gift sometime in 1990's though. :001_smile

really first first would be nenuco though i had no choice in that one either. :laugh:

Lacoste Eau de Toilette Pour Homme. It has lasted over 2 years. It came in a silver bottle. I still have it in fact. I am just nearing the end of it, and am looking for a replacement.

Yeah, I was a little late to the game, as my father always had reactions to the stuff (He only uses one aftershave, that does not make him itch :). I always figured I'd have the same problem, but thankfully I didn't.

man, i think it was an avon product, i'm thinking it was either a xmas or birthday gift back in the mid-70's, i do remember that the bottle was shaped like a guitar!:thumbup: the guitar neck was plastic which also served as the bottle cap! lol!
i wish i would have saved the bottle for decanting AS!
i also remember receiving several soap on a rope, old spice, english leather, and various no name colognes during my early years.

the first cologne or maybe it was an EDT, that i bought myself was grey flannel, i hit that stuff hard in the 80's! same goes for quorum and Pierre Cardin!

these days i'm mostly a drugstore aftershave cowboy. good thread.

Last edited:
Old Spice and my grandmother gave it to me every Xmas from age 12 along with a box of #2 yellow pencils with my name always misspelled: Doughlas

:thumbdown
thank you, now I have to track down what that first Avon scent was!

My mother in law was the Avon lady and I got the Wild Country almost every year until they went into the tool gifts. Then things got really bad and I got tire pressure gauges that were battery operated.

Another Old Spice fellow here. Sometime in Middle school when I began to think about those things I began using my dad's Old Spice. The first full bottle I remember getting was Burt's Bees Bay Rum. I also bought some cheap drugstore colognes (Canoe & Compass, blech.) Would love to find some of the vintage OS that my dad had so I could use it again. DW doesn't like the modern OS.

Cheers!

Aaron

My first bottle of cologne was a gift from a girl in high school who had a crush on me. She shop-lifted a bottle of Hugo Boss and thought it would impress me. Took the cologne...but not the girl!

Can't remeber if it was "Very Sexy" by Victorias Secret or "Pleasures for Men" by CK.

Don't wear them anymore. Their ok fragrances, not great by any means, so I don't know, I may never buy them again.

The stuff I have now (7 bottles, 4 large decants, several samples) are a lot better.

Last edited:
Mine was "Woods" by A&F. My 12th grade girlfriend gave it to me. I cannot remember anything about the smell.

If I remember correctly, that stuff was AWESOME! As much as I hate the whole A&F culture that's been created by their softcore quarterly mags, that was an amazing fragrance. I had a bottle of it in high school. If I had known they were discontinuing it, I would've stocked up.

I dont remember exactly, but it has to be one of the following: Black Suede, English Leather, Old Spice or Royal Copenhagen. I am leaning towards Old Spice, but my dad always had multiple bottles of after shave/cologne in the bathroom.

Swiss Army since I was an early teenager. Still keep a bottle and wear it every now and then.

Usually its Canali Men now though...

Top Bottom