What's new

Your first chaw

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My first cahaw was at the hunting cabin. I was twelve or close. The men were playing poker at the round dinner table. They were all smoking Backwoods cigar smokes or chewing on Redman chewing tobacco. I wanted both. Yeah I knew It looked cool. Dad gave me my wish. Throwup does not describe a green drizzy thing until Dad says..."told ya so."

I do not remember my first but the most memorable one was on a Boy Scout camping trip. I was one of the older scouts probable 17 and one of the younger scouts probable 14 thought they were cool and brought a can of chew on the trip. I found it and told him we would have a little contest we both put a dip in and the first one to spit would not chew on a camping trip again. He did not last to long before he turned green. I never saw or heard him talk about chew again.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Our first dip experience??

I was 19 and working overnight with my boss in a retail store who was also my friend. We were just hanging out while the floor crew stripped and waxed the floor. Easy night. He stuck some dip in his lip (no idea what kind) and I thought hell...let me try that!. It was some kind of fine cut snuff and he said ”go ahead and get a big ole finger full”. Wayyyy more than the rookie dipper should have got. But he is a jokester.

I put it in my lip and after a few min got really sick. Dizzy, turned white, sweating. Everything but throwing up. All the while he is just cracking up. 17 years later we are still friends. But I have never dipped again.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I started dipping Copenhagen snuff when I was 11. A friend taught me.
Put it in. Take it out when the dizziness started and brush teeth.
Did this a few times and I was hooked.
I dipped Copenhagen until I was 48. Also, I seldom ever spat.
One night I was out hog hunting and decided to stop and have never done it again.
That stuff is around $5 a can and I could go through 2 cans a day.

I started dipping Copenhagen snuff when I was 11. A friend taught me.
Put it in. Take it out when the dizziness started and brush teeth.
Did this a few times and I was hooked.
I dipped Copenhagen until I was 48. Also, I seldom ever spat.
One night I was out hog hunting and decided to stop and have never done it again.
That stuff is around $5 a can and I could go through 2 cans a day.

When I realized how much I was spending coupled with waking up coughing until I had a cigarette, I knew I had to quit.

11-12 years old. My pawpaw was a tobacco farmer and chewed King B and Bruton snuff. My first time was a dried leaf stripped right from the stall because he got one. I put it in my jaw and spit like he did. I never had a problem. I then went to using Copenhagen until it got to expensive and now it’s Red Seal long cut wintergreen. A very fond memory for me not to long before he passed. I’m still going about 38 years later and go through about a can or two a week.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Not my first but my most memorable one. I was about 14 I guess. I was over at a friends house and we were in Russ' room goofing off and dipping. We were trying to be cool. Copenhagen cans in our back pocket and everything. Russ' dad comes home and sees us sitting on the window sill in Russ' room spitting in the yard. He walks up and tells us to spit it out. Which we do. He then pulls out his Brown's Mule plug that he had been biting chucks off all day. He hands it to us and says take a bite. Taking the plug and barely having it touch our teeth and simulating a bite.

His response? "Huh, uh. Bigger."

We take another bite.

"Nope, try again. "

Take an even bigger bite, but still relatively small.

"Bigger."

By the end of it we had decent sized wad of tobacco in our cheeks but that wasn't enough for Russ' dad.

"Now chew it."

After about 3 to 4 minutes of earnest mastication, it wasn't so bad. Then the nicotine hit like a hot fist on a cold cheek. Retching and misery ensued much to the delight of Russ' dad, God rest his soul. I knew Russ' dad for almost my whole life. He was a great guy. He sure could chew that Old Brown's Mule though.

Don't remember. Most likely it was loose-leaf, though I did indulge in plug and King B Twist (tm). This December will make it twenty-seven years since I've had any chewing tobacco.

The most memorable chew was when I tried my father's cigars. My father preferred to chew cigars, and kept some in his truck. We were all out working on the farm when I spied his cigars, and helped myself to one.

In a little while I started feeling the adverse effects. My father took one look at my face and smirked. My mother happened to be there, and thought I'd somehow gotten into some pesticide. My father said "That's not pesticide," and I had to fess up to swiping one of his cigars, to my mother's horror and my father's amusement.

16. Marching Band trip. In the hotel room with some other 16 year olds. One has some Wintergreen Bandits. I hated it. Didn't get green or anything but I haven't touched anything wintergreen flavored in 20 years.

Now I have a snus pouch in my cheek all day unless I'm smoking a cigar or pipe... But never wintergreen.

My grandpa chewed all the time, and I think my dad decided to start because of this sometime when I was around 8 or 9, mostly Red Man. I decided to ask for some one day and to my surprise he handed me the pouch and just told me to go ahead, but not too much. I probably only grabbed two or three leaves, and my dad and I just hung out, leaning against the truck, spitting and talking. Don't even remember a buzz, maybe just a little tingle in my cheek. I did it a couple more times with him, but he quit pretty quickly, so my access was gone.

I've chewed and dipped on and off again since college, more on than off the last couple of years. Definitely better than smoking, which I did for a while as well.

My first was my last. It was high school, a group of us thought it would be a good idea to down 40’s of Colt 45 before going into a movie. At the time I was 6’ 135 lbs, so drinking a 40 in about 2 minutes was my first mistake, telling my buddy I wanted to try his Copenhagen in the movie theatre was the second. Without going into detail, I spent the next few hours in utter discomfort

I was 11 years old and at my step uncle’s farm just outside Tipton, Oklahoma. I was spending a couple of weeks with my only 2 male cousins, on my mom’s side. Jack, the uncle, told us to start the irrigation pipes in one of the fields and on our way out the back door, Jack gave me a fresh, still wrapped plug of Bull of the Woods. He told me to just bite off a corner, chew it and spit when I felt the need. I bit off a generous amount and my two cousins said they also wanted to try it. They both got sick, in a matter of a few minutes. We came in for lunch and my uncle asked how I liked it. I told him it was good and I needed another plug because I was out. He didn’t give me one.

Top Bottom