What's new

Your First CC?

I'm in the market for my first CC. I'm pretty sure I'll grab a Sig P365X Macro. I know it's all the rage, but seems to be a great gun for a first purchase.

What was, or is your first CC? I'm not so much looking for advice as I'm just curious as to what you bought and why.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
My first was a Glock 26, could not get the hang of it for whatever reason. Traded for a Ruger LCR .357, should have kept it. Now I have a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 with no lasers or external safety, it works but not nearly as well as that Ruger did,I will get another someday but I'm keeping the Bodyguard.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My first was the only handgun I had when I got my CC. A Ruger P944. It was like trying to conceal a framing hammer. I swear that pistol printed like it was 2 inches wide and 10 inches long. I quickly bought a commander size 1911 and never looked back. I usually carry either a Commander size 1911, a LCP, or a S&W MP 9c. I also occasionally throw in a Ruger LCR and Full Size 1911.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My 1st was a Ruger LCP. I hated it, but it did the job. As much as I hated the LCP I love the LCP II. My daily carries now are a Ruger SP101, Kimber Micro 9, The LCP II, or a Springfield 1911. 4.25 not a 5".

My first was a S&W 342 airlite ti. a 5 shot hammerless(totally enclosed hammer) double action revolver. Titanium cylinder, a frame advertised to be a scandium alloy, stainless barrel liner and I think titanium shroud. 38 special and 38 special +p. That thing is so light even mild loads hurt to shoot. I liked to pocket carry and it was just a bit too large to conceal. One day my wife said it kept showing so I started looking and ended up wit a little Sig P938 and later for IWB use a Sig P 365.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first was a way too big Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. I then switched to a LCR .357 that I carried mostly .38 in.....

But now I shoot my LCR .22 so much that I've just been carrying it because it goes bang 8 times lol.

This winter I will be using the GP again because it's easier to dress around it then.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a long way to go, and a wife I must keep happy when it comes to budget;)

Just something to think about... If you are actually going to use your firearm as a concealed carry weapon, then consider what price you'd value your life at. You certainly don't need to buy some $2000 race gun, but how much is $200-$300 extra dollars if it's the difference between your firearm going boom every time or not? I would think that your wife might be much happier knowing that you're reliably protected, instead of saving a few dollars to stay within a budget.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just something to think about... If you are actually going to use your firearm as a concealed carry weapon, then consider what price you'd value your life at. You certainly don't need to buy some $2000 race gun, but how much is $200-$300 extra dollars if it's the difference between your firearm going boom every time or not? I would think that your wife might be much happier knowing that you're reliably protected, instead of saving a few dollars to stay within a budget.
Well said my friend.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
My first CCW was a Kimber CDP. Still love my officers models and carry a Nighthawk Counselor but my "tackle box" gun is a Taurus GX4. It was only about $400.00 but it was vetted heavily before it went into rotation. Several three to five hundred round sessions trying to break it or make it FTF or FTE. Got that gun so hot you could smell the steel and the "beaver tail" chewed a hole in the web of my hand. I trust it as implicitly as you can any firearm! As for Sig... Love their stuff to a point but hate that they let the end users be the alpha and beta testers. Their newest wiz bangs gets some time to prove themselves before I jump!

My first handgun purchase was a Glock 23 in the mid 90s. I bought it as soon as I turned 21. My dad had this exact model and I shot his quite a bit before I bought mine. So I bought it because of him. I bought a lot of guns after this one but I carried that Glock 23 almost exclusively until John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo started shooting people in my area with a Bushmaster. I abandoned the .40 for something with a flatter trajectory as a response and I haven't ever carried a Glock 23 since.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My first CC:

What I bought.

Beretta 92FS Centurion
9D08247E-8A9D-443B-BD70-C1704DDD40B6.jpeg

Why?

Because I’m…

:)

First was a S&W J frame 38. Closely followed by a Walther PPK. A long time ago. Would still use the J frame but older hands won't take the recoil anymore. Shame because I consider it the most reliable and practical choice for cc.

These days mostly a Bodyguard 380 with manual safety. A Sig P365 manual safety for those times when going in and around more urban areas.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My first concealed carry was a 1911, especially after attending Col. Coopers Gunsite classes, nothing else would do. Then I did a stint as a reserve Deputy Sheriff and initially we were restricted to revolvers. So, my off-duty guns were a S&W J frame or a 2.5 inch model 66. At this time there was no statewide civilian CCW permits, so I had to adhere to S.O. policy. Later, we were allowed to carry semi-autos and I went over to the dark side and carried either a Glock 27 or 19, sometimes my duty SIG 229. By the time I left the S.O., state CCW permits were available. Wanting something lighter I acquired a Kahr PM9. Wanting higher capacity, I acquired a SIG 365. Recently I acquired a Ruger LPCMax, which I'm still working the bugs out. So currently I carry either the J frame, PM9 or P365, for the most part.

Top Bottom