What's new

Your Favourite Vintage Gaming Console and Game

I recently saw the series ‘High End’ on Netflix. Brings back a ton of memories. I was born in 1985 so i grew up playing Nintendo and Sega. Even tried my hand at my dad’s Atari! If i could go back in time and pick a console, it would probably still be the SNES ( Super Nintendo Entertainment System ) launched the early 1990s.

For game, nothing beats good ol’ Street Fighter 2 for me :)

What about you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mine was Intellivision. I have to say ML Baseball was the one we most played, but I think I really liked Horse Racing the most.

I grew up in the 70s and played non-stop Atari--Asteroids was probably my favorite, but Track and Field caused the most broken joysticks. I got one of the Atari retro consoles a few years ago, though, and it wasn't as fun as I remembered. I've owned pretty much every Nintendo and Sony system--and I'll say my favorite was the Gamecube. Metroid, Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Zelda Windwaker, Smash Bros.--so many good games. However, the one "vintage" game I still like to play with my kids is Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort.

My favorite video game of all time is just about considered vintage by this point, I believe. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for the Sony Playstation. I've beaten it 100 times at least. It's perfection in every measurable way.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 though.

Hard choice there. I currently have several consoles in the cabinet (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox One). I'd say SNES. Video games never needed to be better than that. Pixelated sprites and midi soundtracks are the best.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Tommy Lasorda Baseball on Sega Genesis. My last years as a single man were spent dominating the "Hack Job City Baseball League" playing that game. Six guys chipped in $200 each April. We'd officially get together at least once every 2 weeks, but dozens of games were played in addition to these. We kept track of standings based on winning percentages with an agreed minimum # of games. Some guys might have played 250 games & others not many more than 100, but there was some minimum # that I've forgotten. Come Columbus Day weekend the 1st place team got his $200 back. The last place guy was out. Teams 2-5 played some sort of playoff, the winner of which also got his $200 back. He then played the 1st place team for the rest of the pot.

Sadly, children, jobs, people moving all over the world led to the demise of the Hack Job league. But I'd give anything to be back in 1991 playing all day long.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I think the original Nintendo with the Super Mario/Duck Hunt that came with it.

Used to have a collection of around 20 consoles, even exotic stuff like VirtualBoy, MegaDrive Cd,PCEngine..etc.
I guess if i would buy one now again it would be the NeoGeo, what a beast and so much fun.

Parkin-TheUnexpectedlyHigh-StakesWorldofNeoGeoCollecting.jpg

Used to have a collection of around 20 consoles, even exotic stuff like VirtualBoy, MegaDrive Cd,PCEngine..etc.
I guess if i would buy one now again it would be the NeoGeo, what a beast and so much fun.

View attachment 1152060

I knew a rich kid who had one when it was a current gen console. I was so jealous, haha. If I recall, it was substantially more expensive than its contemporaries.

I knew a rich kid who had one when it was a current gen console. I was so jealous, haha. If I recall, it was substantially more expensive than its contemporaries.

Oh yes, did not have the money when it came out, only years later i was able to buy a used one.
A game was around 250-600 dollars if i recall,...one game!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My favorite was Atari 2600. Because that is what was around in my late teens. And we spent a lot of time playing Atari in college as well. Around 85 to 87 time frame. Now I wouldn’t buy any vintage consoles as I can get them all on mame and retropie. I still have a couple of full size vintage arcade cabinets I’d gutted and stuffed with PCs and mame.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Atari 2600 all day long. Played Galaxian, Battlezone, Defender and Crystal Castles mostly and loved it
One of my friends got the first Pong console with the twist paddles when it came out, we played it for 2 hours and never played it again.

Hard choice there. I currently have several consoles in the cabinet (Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox One). I'd say SNES. Video games never needed to be better than that. Pixelated sprites and midi soundtracks are the best.
Well I need to mention my favorite game now don't I? Easy. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. :badger:

I remember working many many hours one summer for an ice company. That year we had a drought in this area so we were BUSY. Starting 4th of July week and for the next three weeks me and the boss's son averaged almost a 100 hours a week. Yep minimum wage was a whopping $3.35 back then. After I finished paying off my vehicle and putting most of my pay check into my college savings account I bought a brand new state of the art Atari 2600. I got Defender, Missile Command and Asteroids with the game. I remember my dad and I hooking it up to our TV and playing games for the next few hours. Suck part of the story we were so busy that summer the rest of the family played games more than I did. I played off and on for a few more years and sometime or another everything was put into a box and put in a closet.

Fast Forward almost 30 years we are cleaning out the house after my mom passed away and found all this treasure. My two siblings wanted to put the Atari and games into the estate sale and I laid claim that since I purchased everything I would have final say, my Dad agreed with me and I brought everything home and promptly listed everything on Ebay. The Listing stated has not been used in forever and it worked great the last time I played games on it. I had maybe 15 games and the power/tv converter listed with the game. Side note The Journey video game and Raiders of the Lost Ark game were included, these two games SUCKED. Anyway imagine my surprise when everything sold for over $900, three people got into a bidding war and the winner notified me he would pay for overnight UPS shipping to France which was another $100. I take the package to UPS customer service counter and the guys running it were some of my old employees when I was a PT Supe. at UPS. They told me not to worry about paying for the shipping since I gave them a whole lot of overtime when I was their boss.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I remember working many many hours one summer for an ice company. That year we had a drought in this area so we were BUSY. Starting 4th of July week and for the next three weeks me and the boss's son averaged almost a 100 hours a week. Yep minimum wage was a whopping $3.35 back then. After I finished paying off my vehicle and putting most of my pay check into my college savings account I bought a brand new state of the art Atari 2600. I got Defender, Missile Command and Asteroids with the game. I remember my dad and I hooking it up to our TV and playing games for the next few hours. Suck part of the story we were so busy that summer the rest of the family played games more than I did. I played off and on for a few more years and sometime or another everything was put into a box and put in a closet.

Fast Forward almost 30 years we are cleaning out the house after my mom passed away and found all this treasure. My two siblings wanted to put the Atari and games into the estate sale and I laid claim that since I purchased everything I would have final say, my Dad agreed with me and I brought everything home and promptly listed everything on Ebay. The Listing stated has not been used in forever and it worked great the last time I played games on it. I had maybe 15 games and the power/tv converter listed with the game. Side note The Journey video game and Raiders of the Lost Ark game were included, these two games SUCKED. Anyway imagine my surprise when everything sold for over $900, three people got into a bidding war and the winner notified me he would pay for overnight UPS shipping to France which was another $100. I take the package to UPS customer service counter and the guys running it were some of my old employees when I was a PT Supe. at UPS. They told me not to worry about paying for the shipping since I gave them a whole lot of overtime when I was their boss.
EXCELLENT story my friend. There are no coincidences! Those former employee/friends were there for a reason!

While the original Playstation had two of the best games ever---Final Fantasy 7 and the above mentioned Castlevania Symphony of the Night the best console would have to be the SNES for the sheer number of quality games on it.

In the past three months or so I played for the fist time and beat Super Metroid and The Secret of Mana. I'll start Chronotrigger fairly soon. The sad thing is that I've had these for 20+ years but never got around to them. My little brother did Chronotrigger about 20 years ago and the wife did Super Metroid about 12 years ago.

Top Bottom