What's new

Your favourite shaving youtube channel

Probably sinatralennon, though I also thoroughly enjoy Ken Surfs and Michael Freedberg.

Good question. I'm glad you asked it. Geofatboy also is worthwhile, but in my opinion he holds his razor handles at too steep an angle while demonstrating how to shave.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sorry to be negative but I used to watch and enjoy YouTube shaving channels but now cannot abide them. As they have grown they have become, to me at least, little more than advertorials for the next wonderful product 'sent to me by the great folks at....'. 'By the way, here is a cheap Chinese brush with my name on it'. 'This week, and every week, a fantastic quality, superbly manufactured, totally original, design from a Shaving Club that is Global and my friend Sh**don'. Reviewers have done a lot to popularize shaving, certainly more than I, and they have a right to monetize their work so it is hard to be too critical but I have zero interest in their opinion on anything. I would rather ask the members here, and yes I am aware that we have at least one YT reviewer who posts here. Maybe it is just me getting older, more cynical, less trusting, and generally more curmudgeonly.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
.... Maybe it is just me getting older, more cynical, less trusting, and generally more curmudgeonly.

That’s a combination of two things : being British, and growing into a miserable old git. :p

I used to use YouTube reviewers/content creators at the beginning of my shaving journey before I was familiar with discussion boards like BnB. I was aware that many would be biased and were sponsored, but I hadn’t appreciated just how much.

Especially salient for me was a well known uploader who gave a vastly different impression on YouTube as compared to people’s experiences dealing with him - I immediately scrapped certain things from my acquisition list and revised my view of YouTube content creators. Bad apple and barrel and all that I suppose, maybe I’m being slightly unfair.

Anyhow, favourite uploader at the moment - geofatboy. :)

I found Nick Shaves while searching YouTube as he started his channel right around the same time I started wetshaving. I really enjoyed his content back then.

He took a break from YT around the same time I took a break from B&B and was thrilled to see he recently started making videos again.

I enjoyed the Mantic59 and GeoFatboy vids when I first returned to traditional wet shaving, they were more instructional and less about product placement (although GFB did make sure to remind you that you could buy the products he'd used on his webstore). Now it's all about reviews. Reviews are fine, but I tend to put more credence in a review written in a forum post by an average shaver. Besides, just watching someone else shave, with running commentary like "ooh, this stuff smells great", is too much like watching other people play golf.

The exception to this was the late, lamented Charles Roberts - he'd drone on about method shaving and pitch his various creams, potions, ointments and unguents (all of which had good reputations) and talk about "forms" and such before launching into a fenzied shave that made you think the video had skipped to fast-forward. You'd swear he was going to cut his throat or slice off his nose or lose an ear whipping his razor around, but somehow it all worked. Today's shave channels seem awfully tame by comparison.

Last edited:
Like many, I watched a lot of instructional vids to learn proper technique and to get ideas around hardware and software. Glad I did, but there came a time when it was no longer necessary. My two favorites were Nick Shaves (he must have a great bedside manner with his patients) and Geofatboy (who makes shavette and SR shaves ever so easy looking).

Top Bottom