What's new

Your favourite "hot" sauce ?

1. Matouk's Calypso Sauce. I found this at a Cuban restaurant in St. Pete, but you can get it from Amazon. Scotch Bonnet peppers, very hot, but a bright, clean taste.
Matouk.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It’s been a while. I need to whip a batch up.

I still have some I made from last years Habaneros I grew.
I'm growing Habs and bhut jolokia this season, so a blend of the two using your recipe is the plan. That should be interesting...Big O's jolokia.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Favorite Hot sauce? That's a loaded question. Narrowing down the subject could cause one to start buying soaps, razors, brushes and start a shaving forum.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It really does depend on the application, doesn't it?

I grew up on Tabasco, so that's still one of my favorites. Valentina Extra Hot is another. Just about anything from CaJohns is great.

It really does depend on the application, doesn't it?

I grew up on Tabasco, so that's still one of my favorites. Valentina Extra Hot is another. Just about anything from CaJohns is great.
Application is really the determining factor. For the Tabasco/Louisiana style sauces, I am one of those who views Crystal as elite. Louisiana Hot Sauce can be good for thicker applications. I don't use a lot of Tabasco at home anymore, but I always feel a bit nostalgic when using it at a restaurant.

I think Cholula is likely many people's go to for a south of the border type. Tapatio, Melinda's -- all good. I think the better questions is how many BAD sauces are there? apart from that, we just all have our preferences!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think Cholula is likely many people's go to for a south of the border type.

I gotta tell you. It may be one of the most popular out there, but it's also one of my least favorites. I find it sweet and fruity (fruits other than chilis, that is). It doesn't really taste of chilis. It's something of the ketchup of hot sauces, which may be one of the reasons it's popular.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I gotta tell you. It may be one of the most popular out there, but it's also one of my least favorites. I find it sweet and fruity (fruits other than chilis, that is). It doesn't really taste of chilis. It's something of the ketchup of hot sauces, which may be one of the reasons it's popular.
Yeah, Cholula is...meh, but not bad.

Here are a few good one's:

Hot sauce 1.jpg
hot sauce 2.jpg

Melinda's Scotch Bonnet is my all time favorite. Actually Scotch Bonnet across brands seems to be my fav. But I have tried and like lots of different hot sauces including ones I have made. Crystal over the other standard Lousiana brands. I do not love Cholula. Sriracha is my go to for eggs. I like the garlic in it for one thing. Nice product altogether.

I agree--how many bad hot sauces are there really?

I don't get the same negative over-fruitiness on my taste buds, but I don't disagree entirely with the sentiment. And I certainly know people who do not care for it.

I'm not sure if it's still being made or the bottles in my fridge will be my last, but there is a small outfit in Minneapolis that makes a red and a green sauce called "Nuclear Nectar." Quite good and packs a bit of punch. A great addition while cooking, as well as to a finished product.

Nuclear Nectar - http://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/nuclear-nectar/
0215-Nectar_640.jpg

Top Bottom