What's new

Your favourite "hot" sauce ?

I've always been a big Crystal's fan. I also just picked up some Cholula Chili and Garlic sauce and man is it good! Great on eggs too.

I even add a few drops to my maple syrup on my pancake pile which is three eggs over light and sausage stuffed between two oversized pancakes (note: no lunch on these days)...killer stuff:001_smile

Scrambled eggs and and sausage is my 'go-to' breakfast most days...but not without Tabasco Habanero and French's Yellow Mustard! Kick-er-up a notch or two! Oh yeah babe! :biggrin:

El Yucateco red has been my clear favorite for a couple of years running. But I have about 10 others at any given time that I use as mood and situation calls for.

I have some Blair's death rain powder and a bottle of his 3am reserve sauce (1.5 - 2 million scoville units, 40x hotter than dave's insanity). I can't seem to handle the deadly hot stuff like I used to be able to. I get heartburn so I mostly stick to all the tabasco varieties now.

Then what the hell do you think when you're using Dave's Insanity Sauce?! That stuff is lethal! :devil:

Dave's Insanity will definitely wake you up, but that damned El Yuc greenish gray habanero stuff will make your hair curly, your teeth pearly, child birthin' a pleasure, and your babies will be born nekkid. THAT stuff makes me temporarily deaf! :out:
...And then there's the renewed agony the next day or so...:mad5:

Dave's Insanity will definitely wake you up, but that damned El Yuc greenish gray habanero stuff will make your hair curly, your teeth pearly, child birthin' a pleasure, and your babies will be born nekkid. THAT stuff makes me temporarily deaf! :out:

That stuff gives you an epidural?? Zoinks!

...And then there's the renewed agony the next day or so...:mad5:

Ooo, yeah, that's no fun either.

Once a 'friend' of mine snuck a half-teaspoon of Dave's into a spoon of Jambalaya she was making and gave it to me to 'try.' I drank two beers in ten minutes trying to stop that burn. Jesus. Do I have a bottle? Yes. I use it to add heat without much flavor to my jambalaya. You can only add so much Tabasco--much as I love it--before it starts adding too much of its own flavor to a dish.

I could drink Texas Pete's but I enjoy Tabasco Chipotle as well. I'd really like to try some other Chipotle sauces.

These days I go for flavor. Heat is good if it's in balance with the dish, but heat for heats sake is just plain punishment. Macho masochism I call it. You never see the braggarts the next day but they pay, oh they pay dearly. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The stuff in the center, Sriracha?, is about as hot as I need, but it also has a great depth of flavor. A little goes a long way. It's more of a hot chili paste rather than a sauce.

proxy.php

My Step Mother who ran a restaurant at one time got this brand like 20 years ago and I haven't seen it in a decade until I found some at the local market last year. These are all I have in my fridge now, I will add a bottle of Crystal later.

These days I go for flavor. Heat is good if it's in balance with the dish, but heat for heats sake is just plain punishment. Macho masochism I call it. You never see the braggarts the next day but they pay, oh they pay dearly. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The stuff in the center, Sriracha?, is about as hot as I need, but it also has a great depth of flavor. A little goes a long way. It's more of a hot chili paste rather than a sauce.

proxy.php

My Step Mother who ran a restaurant at one time got this brand like 20 years ago and I haven't seen it in a decade until I found some at the local market last year. These are all I have in my fridge now, I will add a bottle of Crystal later.

The Sriracha is the one that NANP was refering to as "Rooster Sauce". We use that stuff at the house like most people use ketchup. Everything goes with it.

The El Yuceteco green, red, and habenero got through the rotation fairly often as well.

I have a bottle with basalmic vineager with the long red Thai peppers, chili picene, and garlic in it that I use occasionally on stuff when I really want a kick..

It's not all about heat, it's about a balance of flavors. And it depends on how it's applied. I tend toward the milder ones such as Tabasco Green, regular Tabasco, Frank's, and several others. The Death/Insanity/Nuclear meltdown sauces are avoided.

A little online research yielded a few varieties and an American sample pack of four or five bottles that costs almost what I paid for one bottle here at the market!! Apparently the Thai and American versions are different and the multiple varieties in the bottom link are of Thai origin. Rooster Sauce, I like that name

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sample.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flying_goose_sriracha.jpg

Now I gotta track me down some of the other varieties! Thai food stores should be a good bet, but I doubt there's one in all of Montana.

Top Bottom