What's new

Your favourite Bay Rum Aftershave

I just got my very first bay rum AS in the mail Tuesday, Captain's Choice CO9T. Used it Wednesday and that was a mistake. Wednesday was a rough day and I came home tired and grumpy. I shaved like it too, halfa**ed the lather, rushed and got a few nicks. And holy [fill in word here] did that AS burn! Like I owed it money, like I said something about it's mother! Once I stopped roaring from the sting and flopping around like a boated fish (remember, my first bay rum), I found an extremely pleasant feeling in my nose. More than a scent, a feeling. Yesterday I tried it again, only this time I really took my time shaving and the experience was so much better. A refreshing slap on the face with that same dreamy feeling. I MUST TRY MORE!

Just applied my first dose of Ogalalla about half an hour ago. I like it, and it's my only Bay Rum with clove, which was nice. I'm happy with it, but I'm still partial to PAA Atomic Age.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I haven't tried Boomtown, but Atomic Age and Capt. Smythe's Reserve are both great. Atomic Age is probably my favorite Bay Rum AS. Capt. Smythe's Reserve adds a bit of leather to the scent. I think it makes it a bit more dressy. You can wear it to a more formal event or evening out. It also makes it a bit more appropriate for colder weather. Atomic Age is good for all occasions and all seasons, but it is definitely brighter than CS Reserve, if that makes sense.

Received Captain Smythe's today. It's a milder version of Boomtown. I thought the 'leather and gunpowder' scent in Boomtown was a bit heavy for my liking. If you like aftershaves/colognes with that scent...you will flip for Boomtown. The Captain Smythe's Bay Rum and leather has the leather for sure, but it's not as pronounced as Boomtown. I think the Bay Rum behind it comes out more. I like it and will keep it in the rotation.

Received Captain Smythe's today. It's a milder version of Boomtown. I thought the 'leather and gunpowder' scent in Boomtown was a bit heavy for my liking. If you like aftershaves/colognes with that scent...you will flip for Boomtown. The Captain Smythe's Bay Rum and leather has the leather for sure, but it's not as pronounced as Boomtown. I think the Bay Rum behind it comes out more. I like it and will keep it in the rotation.
Thanks for the comparison. It sounds like Boomtown has too much going on for my liking. I think the gunpowder was the turnoff for me when I first heard about it. I like my Bay Rum to be simple and while I like Captain Smythe's Reserve a lot, I like Atomic Age even more.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Unfortunately, Bay Rum does not belong to the Italian wet shaving tradition and therefore my knowledge on this topic is very limited.

That being said, years ago I had a chance to try the Captain's Choice Bay Rum and it was GREAT. I loved it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just received a bottle of Stirling Bay Rum because I enjoy the scent of the soap so well. Nutmeg dominates the soap but clove dominates the AS. I smell like a Christmas ham. Also, the AS lasts too long. I prefer AS that fades in an hour or so should I want to use a cologne. I just ordered 12 oz of Pinaud VIBR which fits the bill perfectly well.

I just received a bottle of Stirling Bay Rum because I enjoy the scent of the soap so well. Nutmeg dominates the soap but clove dominates the AS. I smell like a Christmas ham. Also, the AS lasts too long. I prefer AS that fades in an hour or so should I want to use a cologne. I just ordered 12 oz of Pinaud VIBR which fits the bill perfectly well.
Ten years ago, I maintained a website for a local Barber in Baltimore. In lieu of payment for my services, he'd give me three shavette shaves a week. The full Monty as far as hot towels and emollients. This was back before I had any clue about doing traditional shaving on my own. Each shave ended with a nice application of Pinaud Bay Rum. There are other Bay Rums I enjoy, but the Pinaud has a strong association with that nice time in my life. I finally ordered a bottle for my very own that should arrive Friday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have tried St. John’s. It was, for a long time, my favorite. The knock on it is that it has a lot of clove, which obviously doesn’t bother me. I am also a fan of the Captain’s CO9T, which has no clove whatever and is to Bay Rum what cognac is to champagne.

But this past summer I finally tried PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum, and that is hands down the best Bay Rum I’ve used in 40 years. Great face feel, long lasting, complex West Indian Bay scent (no clove) - just excellent all around.

I never liked any Bay Rum I tried, but now I realize it was the CLOVE that I hated, because I saw that PAA advertised no clove in theirs so I got a sample and what a difference. It's still not sweet but not as bitter (or whatever you call the clove scent). The one I wound up purchasing was the "Clasico" - I have not tried the "Atomic Age".

perhaps not favorite, but this Michelsen's is a great vintage splash, still with lots of smell and nice kick. some ingredient, maybe bay oil, has precipitated out.

florena erskine feather michelsen bay rum may 16 2020.jpg

Top Bottom