What's new

Your favourite 5 rock albums?

Wow! Some albums got mentioned that I didn’t include on my top 5, but could have been.

Harvest - Neil Young
Fragile - Yes
Nilsson Schmillson - Harry Nilsson
Chicago II - Chicago
Madman Across The Water - Elton John

I love Rock of all ages, but I particularly love the 90s.

STP - Purple
Pearl Jam - Vs
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Live - Throwing Copper
Weezer - blue album
Big thumbs up for Throwing Copper. And I don't know which of their albums I'd pick, but Foo Fighters and Chevelle absolutely must be mentioned in this thread.

jeff waynes original war of the worlds .
meatloaf original bat out of hell
queen the works
kate bush hounds of love ( I know not rock but one of my fav's )
transvision vamp velveteen

I have to do this again, so sorry. Product of 80's rock.
Joshua Tree - U2
Screaming for Vengence or British Steel - JP
Number of the Beast - IM
Bleach - Nirvana
Hemispheres - Rush

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Pink Floyd - Animals
Yes - Close to the Edge
Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall
Rush - Moving Pictures
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

Hard to get down to five albums. All of these are certainly in my top albums any time I think of top albums. ;)

No Revolver?

I think I agree that, looking back, Abby Road was really the best Beatles album, except I do not think I need to hear Maxwell's Silver Hammer ever again. Also, I know this is contrary to some folks' preferences, but I never liked Come Together, even though the bass is wonderful.

Impossible to list only five favorites because there is hard rock, soft rock, classic rock, pop rock, punk rock etc, modern rock, old school rock and just too many to list. So here are five I just haven’t seen listed yet.
I feel that, turns out I picked 6 albums and I don't even know what one I'd remove... I just feel like adding in more, this would significantly easier if it was a top 10.

Here goes:

1. Live/Dead - The Grateful Dead
2. Music from Big Pink - The Band
3. 2112 - Rush
4. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
5. Eat a Peach - The Allman Brothers Band

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I feel that, turns out I picked 6 albums and I don't even know what one I'd remove... I just feel like adding in more, this would significantly easier if it was a top 10.

Agreed. Too many still out there.

Judas Priest
Blue Oyster Cult
Jethro Tull
Cream

Just too many. :)

Rush - Permanent Waves
Boston - Boston
Styx - Grand Illusion
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue
Cheap Trick At Budokan

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No Revolver?

Oh, there's far more than 5 Beatles albums I really like. But I just have to go with my own personal preferences.

I think I agree that, looking back, Abby Road was really the best Beatles album, except I do not think I need to hear Maxwell's Silver Hammer ever again.

MSH isn't my favourite part of the album either. But the last half/third of the album, IMHO, is just stunningly wonderful. So many albums I can say "oh, now I want to listen to that song", but with Abbey Road I find myself drawn to listening to the last half/third from "You Never Give Me Your Money" right through to the end.

I only ever knew if from the CD, not the LP ... but it turns out it's most of the B-side that I really like.

The trouble with this type of thread is you say "these are my top 5", then check back a couple of days later and someone has put XYZ album by ABC band and you go "duh, how did I miss that one??"

Top Bottom