What's new

Your favourite 5 rock albums?

Abbey Road - The Beatles
All Thing Must Pass - George Harrison
Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
Who’s Next - The Who
Aja - Steely Dan

90's? Go to your room!

I am truly ashamed to admit this, but I do not believe I have heard any music from the groups you listed.

Hughie Lewis and the News was probably the last group I bought an album of.

Nope, U2 was, the one that had "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" on it. That was the last music I paid for, I'm nearly certain.

Thank you for making me feel young. :biggrin1:

There’s just too many great albums out there, so here’s a couple of honorable mentions...

Blood, Sweat and Tears - Blood, Sweat and Tears
Hotel California - The Eagles
Boston - Boston

Morning Glory by Oasis anyone?

Probably the greatest piece of music to come out of England in the 1990s i think. Noel Gallagher has to be up there among the greatest songwriters of his generation. Even some of his most recent post Oasis work is excellent, unlike his much less talented and far more egotistical brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning Glory by Oasis anyone?

Probably the greatest piece of music to come out of England in the 1990s i think. Noel Gallagher has to be up there among the greatest songwriters of his generation. Even some of his most recent post Oasis work is excellent, unlike his much less talented and far more egotistical brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do dig it, but it's not in my top 5.

Great thread!

In no particular order:
Grateful Dead - Workingmans Dead
Led Zeppelin - I
Eric Clapton Live at Royal Albert Hall
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Yes - Fragile

This is so hard! Leaving Jimi, Santana, Dylan, The Who & Beatles off this list, but you're asking for just the top 5.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Tubes - Remote Control
Rush - Hemispheres
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Blue Oyster Cult - Specters
Boston - Boston

Whew! This pretty much defines you, you know.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I know Abbey Road by The Beatles has to be there. And "Brothers and Sisters" by the Allman Brothers ...

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

I'm more partial to "In Step" ... but perhaps because it was my first SRV album.

Honorable mention- I have a multi dis set of Beethoven’s symphonies, forget what orchestra recorded it. One is his Seventh Symphony. The second movement my be the finest thing ever written.

The thing about Beethoven, his really greatest stuff is to great that it overshadows his merely fantastic stuff. Almost any other composer writes "Beethoven's 7th" and we'd all agree it's that composer's greatest composition.

But Beethoven? I'll take the 5th and 9th Symphonies over it, as well as Fidelio and Missa Solemnis. As well as the late string quartets and piano sonatas, and ... well, you get the idea.

It's all fantastic.

They seem more like "my" favorite albums rather than a hybrid list of what I think are best the albums every recorded and the albums I personally like the most.

That's always two very different questions ... one's personal favourites, and one's opinion of "the greatest ever". Just like if you asked me to name Beethoven's best symphony, I'm going to say the 9th ... but someone is perfectly justified in personally liking the 7th best.

Okay, so here's a tricky subject ... "best of" albums. I tend to draw a distinction between "best of's" put together with the artist's assistance/approval, and those compiled "after the fact". Would a Led Zeppelin fan approve of me putting "Mother Ship" on this list?

Tragically hip - up to here
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Rush - Rush
Neil Young - Harvest
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Steely Dan - Aja

II - Introduction to the greatest hard rock band in the history of ever.
London Calling - Defining album for "the only band who matters".
The Number of the Beast - Revealed that hard rock/heavy metal writing could have substance.
Operation Mindcrime - Concept album from a band that NEVER got enough credit.
No Sleep 'til Hammersmith - Lemmy in full flight.

If you have a few hours on your hand. And you are in a hallucinogenic state of mind.

Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans is an excellent amazing album.

"Best of" collections are just that, a collection of songs from "real" albums. For the purposes of questions like this, I don't think they count.

See, if you do live albums, it doesn’t look like you’re doing a best of :)

Now I want to add Alchemy by Dire Straits and Extra Terrestrial Live by BÖC
Live albums have made careers - KISS, Cheap Trick, Frampton...best of albums are done at the end of those careers.

in no particular order:

Who's Next - The Who 1971
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin 1975
Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan 1973
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull 1972
Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad 1970
five more...

Chicago Transit Authority - Chicago Transit Authority 1969
Nilsson Schmilsson - Nilsson 1971
Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck 1975
Abraxas - Santana 1970
Honky Chateau - Elton John 1972

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Impossible to list only five favorites because there is hard rock, soft rock, classic rock, pop rock, punk rock etc, modern rock, old school rock and just too many to list. So here are five I just haven’t seen listed yet.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More For The Fans

Journey - The Essential

Boston - Boston

Bob Seger - Against The Wind

Eagles - Hotel California

And this is just 80’s rock. So much more out there to contemplate 🤔 n fav 5. I don’t know how to do it. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom