What's new

Your favorite travel razor

Travelling by car I'll bring along something nice. But if I'm travelling by air I'll pack my black handled flair tip Super Speed. They aren't that difficult to replace and are a very efficient razor.

When traveling by air I always carry my bag on unless I'm gone for more than a week. Then I check my bags. For carry on, I bring the Mach 3. But when checking bags or traveling on the road I bring a DE89 clone head (RazoRock Mission?) and an Edwin Jagger chrome handle. I like it because it's fairly mild so I can use it on consecutive days if necessary and gives me a nice close shave if I so desire. I like the handle because it feels solid and has some weight to it. And if something were to happen to it, I wouldn't be all that upset since it's easily and cheaply replaceable. And I made a travel case for it out of a tin I bought online (slightly bigger than an Altoids tin). I lined it with felt and added a divider for the handle so everthing fits nice and snug. The handle has it's own compartment while the two pieces of the head lay flat side by side. A strip of felt lays over the two head pieces and a vintage Gillette Blade case sits on the felt strip.

IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0268.jpeg

With a lot of travel restrictions around the world right now, I thought would be a great time to brush the dust off your favorite travel razor and show it off here.

I travel with a Merkur futur, I find the adjustable to be perfect as I can adjust after a few days of growth or tone it down to shave everyday. I also wouldn't be too fussed if I lost it as it's easily replaceable, at least for now.
Unfortunately for me the terms "travel" and "favorite razor" are mutually exclusive, as I never check the luggage for my business trips and always fly with a carry-on only. That said, my only option is cartridge...

If I drive, I take my regular gear.

This probably sounds a little crazy, but my regular travel razor is a Timeless Ti 0.95 OC. I travel frequently for work and want to enjoy sublime shaves even while on the road. The Timeless is light, rugged, and simple—unlikely to fail me or suffer travel damage. It’s efficient for hurried mornings and best of all it shaves like a dream. Makes me nervous to say “I’m not one to lose things”, lest I jinx myself! But in the unlikely event it were to happen, the Timeless very easy to replace. And my trusty Muhle synthetic is never far away!

A69A99DB-F95B-4A9E-9773-65FF80F3ADCB.jpeg

If I have the chance to bring and use a DE, then an Edwin Jagger Kelvin (short handle).
If I'm flying or have less than optimal conditions, then a Bic disposable.
Either way, I bring a can of foam or gel for convenience. No brush, cream or soap.

Traveling this week on Hilton Head. Brought a Rockwell 6C and a Merkur 34C HD. First up was the Rockwell, on plate 4, with a Gillette Nacet. Good shave but still took a little bit of time and clean up. Then a mid-week change to the Merkur and Nacet. It was like night and day. The Merkur set up was smooth and predictable. I should sell the Rockwell, but I just don't need $35-40 dollars.

New candidate for me:

German 4 piece set, replaced the Old Type head with a slantified Thick Cap Old Type. I'll get two or three Slantember shaves with this setup:
1F3144B0-FCD3-4E9F-8B9B-4436024CA791.jpeg

I travel with my gc .84. excellent travel razor.

GC .84 SB for me too. It’s a razor I can whip around with good results every time. Esp because I don’t always get to shave in the best setups. For ex, my mother-in-laws tiny bathroom with the tiny sink and the steamed up tiny framed mirror!

Mine is still the Rockwell 6S but one got an ATT Windsor Pro aluminium on the way.

If it works out well for me, I'll make that my dedicated travel razor.

Top Bottom