What's new

Your favorite production handgun and why…

My pick would be my Stainless Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel. I carried it as a duty weapon for years, until the powers that be forced me to retire it in favor of a tactical tupperware Glock. BLAH. Anyway, like the GP100 (I have the 1st gen with the heavy frame GP100) its well built. But its not quite as heavy and handles much better. The trigger is better also. Plus its plenty strong. I put thousands of rounds of hot reloaded .357 ammo thru the gun, and its still tight. When I say hot I mean 158jhp sitting on...well...lets say MUCH more powder than is listed today in the Speer manual. I used to use the Speer #8, and well....with the load of Blue Dot it listed, the muzzle blast is/was of biblical proportions. Anyway, its still my favorite sidearm.

My favorite? Such a difficult question to answer.

Aesthetics? My Belgium BHP. Fits my hands like a glove. Love the heft of it. That being said, the stock sights suck and it sometimes hangs up on the last round.

Fun factor? Several. But I love tapping off hefty rounds in my Ruger Redhawk.

Practicality? My unmodified G19. Accurate enough and 100% reliable.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My pick would be my Stainless Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel. I carried it as a duty weapon for years, until the powers that be forced me to retire it in favor of a tactical tupperware Glock. BLAH. Anyway, like the GP100 (I have the 1st gen with the heavy frame GP100) its well built. But its not quite as heavy and handles much better. The trigger is better also. Plus its plenty strong. I put thousands of rounds of hot reloaded .357 ammo thru the gun, and its still tight. When I say hot I mean 158jhp sitting on...well...lets say MUCH more powder than is listed today in the Speer manual. I used to use the Speer #8, and well....with the load of Blue Dot it listed, the muzzle blast is/was of biblical proportions. Anyway, its still my favorite sidearm.

A Security Six is probably my dream revolver. :)

A Security Six is probably my dream revolver. :)
I highly recommend. I've had this beauty for many, many years. It shoots like a dream. Gives a nice, authoritative thump with .357 loads. 38spl +P are well tamed.

IMG_20140505_122820_027.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Expect to be quoted on that in the future 😛

They have all known this for quite a few years now. They’re probably wondering, what took me so long to realize it myself. :)

I could make a list?

Pre 64’ Winchester’s .30 .30 and model 70?
Browning’ High Power and Sweet 16 gauge?
Any quality SKS and AK?

Too many S&W’s too count, but model 10 for instance or Chiefs Special?

Colt’s Snake revolver’s Detective, and a few 1911’s like an Officer’s or Gold Cup?

Military Surplus’s M1 Garand, Carbine? Or German Mauser? Maybe a couple of Swiss & Japanese relics in good condition would be nice also. :)

Last edited:
A Python doesn't suck.
Yes sir. There is good reason why they still demand top dollar, as it’s difficult to find even a shooter grade for under $3k. Fitted by hand and finished in a stunning royal blue or nickel. The internals are like a Swiss watch compared to other revolvers and in the hands of a master gunsmith, the trigger is dangerously smooth and effortless.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Has to be the workhorse Ruger GP 100 I have with a 4" barrel......BUT..... the Davidson Wiley Clapp Ruger with a 3" barrel is one I'll buy someday for portability and concealment. 357 is a sweet round in a stainless 4" barrel. Truly like shooting a .22, you could do it all day if you could afford to feed it.

Has to be the workhorse Ruger GP 100 I have with a 4" barrel......BUT..... the Davidson Wiley Clapp Ruger with a 3" barrel is one I'll buy someday for portability and concealment. 357 is a sweet round in a stainless 4" barrel. Truly like shooting a .22, you could do it all day if you could afford to feed it.
Ohhhh yeah, that 7 shot Wiley Clapp should be on everybody's short list! I’ve never seen one in the wild, but man they do look cool👍

Top Bottom