What's new

Your favorite opening 30 seconds to a song is??

I'm sitting here listening to the radio and on comes Areosmith's "Sweet Emotion".
I love the opening to this song. It sounds cool to me.

I'm sure there are many more.
"Shine on you crazy diamond" is one that pops into my mind as well.

What other openings to songs do you like?
(30 seconds isn't a hard and fast rule of course)

For me this could have a different answer each week..... but at the moment it is hard to go past:

Gun Street Girl by Tom Waits

Yeah, It really can't be just one.
I should have said favourites not just favourite.
Of course i'm gonna run all these through you tube to hear for myself.

Under the ruins of a walled city
Crumbling towers and beams of yellow light
No flags of truce, no cries of pity
The siege guns had been pounding all through the night
It took a day to build the city
We walked through its streets in the afternoon
As I returned across the lands I'd known
I recognized the fields where I'd once played
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid

Last edited by a moderator:
Too hard to choose one but here is just a few: green day - 86 (needs more than 30 seconds to kick in), the theme from the matrix (have the bass tuned up ready for the drums to kick in), seal - kiss from a rose, red hot chilli peppers - under the bridge, george michael - club tropicana, new order - blue monday 7" original mix... Theres loads more but these are the ones that come to my head

There was a version of Lou Reed's Sweet Jane that had the most beautiful rock and roll guitar solo starting off the song. Problem is I do not know which album this live version is on and I have found almost a dozen live versions of Sweet Jane that Lou has recorded. I had an FM station that I listen to back in the 90's play this version all the time but I have moved since then.

There was a version of Lou Reed's Sweet Jane that had the most beautiful rock and roll guitar solo starting off the song. Problem is I do not know which album this live version is on and I have found almost a dozen live versions of Sweet Jane that Lou has recorded. I had an FM station that I listen to back in the 90's play this version all the time but I have moved since then.

Are you talking about the version from 'Rock and Roll Animal'?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down - Weather Report's Birdland.

A Taste of Honey by Herb Alpert and the brass, and The Stone's Gimme Shelter come in close too.

This minute's list (from a quick think..., but there may be more on the way... )

Great king rat - Queen
Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf (But really it's the first 2 mins)
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll - Rainbow
The Ostrich - Steppenwolf
Earschplittenloudenboomer - Steppenwolf (Classic... :001_smile)
This Charming man - Smiths (maybe..)

Last edited:
I dig the 70s spacey synthy stuff, so here are a few from the top of my head:
Rush 2112 - the intro is more like 1:30, but still
Steve Miller Band Threshold/Jet Airliner - ditto
Steve Miller Band Space Intro/Fly Like an Eagle - a little over a minute of bliss
The Who Baba O'riley

Top Bottom