What's new

Your Favorite Michael Jackson Song

I was never a big fan, but undeniably he had some great songs. I liked:

1. Smooth Criminal (Alien Ant Farm's cover was also very good)

2. Leave Me Alone

3. Billie Jeant

Trust me, I haven't forgotten Scream. It's my fav. ;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoCkk7JY58&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]​

Last edited:
Wanna be startin something, Dont stop til you get enough, Billie Jean, Beat it, Thriller, Its the falling in love, I'll be there, ABC, I want you back, lol theres more than one fellas

Suprised but not shocked i think

I never really cared for MJ when he was alive ... I was flabbergasted by his overall wierdness, and that tended to completely overshadow his music.

However, once I heard that he had passed away, I logged in to the Zune Marketplace and downloaded his top 5 albums. (Top 5 as being the most played by fellow Zuners.) I would have downloaded some videos as well, except I had to pay for those.

While looking over the list of my downloads, I was struck by what a sheer GENIUS this guy was. Beyond the jokes about his appearance, the ambiguous nature of his sexuality, the bizarre lifestyle and all the other things that kept him in the limelight ... I finally have to admit that he had real talent.

Uh wasn't that MC Hammer?

Verily. Not even the same sport, let alone league, as Jackson.

I couldn't pick just one. Billie Jean, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Smooth Criminal, there are many. AA Farm's cover is on my workout playlist. The Beat It guitar solo also rocked. And was played by a chick.

Ok, I will lay my neck out on the line on this (going with a common theme here these days),

Jackson is over-rated. Talented, no doubt, but over rated.

Props to Billie Jean, a great song, and Beat It, Smooth Criminal and ABC...good songs (and frankly Beat It wouldn't be all that good without the work of one Edward Van Halen). Props to Jackson, even more so, for writing Billie Jean and Beat It.

But...the J5 was a gimmick act. A kid with a good voice and his brothers dancing...no different than much else of what Ed Sullivan was also showing back then. Young solo Michael was pretty much a non-entity...aside from a song about....a rat????

After that, Off the Wall was a decent pop record with only Don't Stop Till You Get Enough written by Jackson and rest written and performed by some seriously talented people all friends of Quincy Jones who produced.

Then Thriller...more writing by Jackson, but much of the Off the Wall cast putting in their quality work.

After Thriller it goes downhill...MJ took most of the writing on Bad, except for Man in the Mirror, and had a couple of decent pop songs.

Black and White. MJ brings in Slash to re-create the success of Beat It. Why? The idea failed on Dirty Diana with Steve Stevens (that song is a mess)!

Invincible. Decidedly not!

So, what is really there? A pop phenomenon who is over rated. A good singer, a good dancer, a guy who wrote a few good songs and made a few good videos.

If you ask me, the over the top fame of MJ is attributable to Quincy Jones's talent and talented friends and John Landis's spectacular Thriller video!

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

Thriller was the first "Cassette Tape" I ever owned. I got it for Christmas in 1982 with my very first Sony Walkman. I was seven years old. I knew every word of every song on that album. Seven of the nine singles on the Thriller album made it to the top ten. Only Baby Be Mine and the Lady in My Life didn't make it.

As Ouch said in the other thread, it was a sad end to a sad life.

1. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" 6:02
2. "Baby Be Mine" (Rod Temperton) 4:20
3. "The Girl Is Mine" 3:42
4. "Thriller" (Temperton) 5:57
5. "Beat It" 4:19
6. "Billie Jean" 4:54
7. "Human Nature" (John Bettis, Steve Porcaro) 4:05
8. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" (James Ingram, Quincy Jones) 3:58
9. "The Lady in My Life" (Temperton) 4:59

Last edited:
I don't know if this song has been mentioned in here, but I would like to add to my previous favourite MJ songs. I just remembered that for some reason I love the vocals in the Free Willy song! :biggrin:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never really cared for MJ when he was alive ... I was flabbergasted by his overall wierdness, and that tended to completely overshadow his music.

However, once I heard that he had passed away, I logged in to the Zune Marketplace and downloaded his top 5 albums. (Top 5 as being the most played by fellow Zuners.) I would have downloaded some videos as well, except I had to pay for those.

While looking over the list of my downloads, I was struck by what a sheer GENIUS this guy was. Beyond the jokes about his appearance, the ambiguous nature of his sexuality, the bizarre lifestyle and all the other things that kept him in the limelight ... I finally have to admit that he had real talent.

Never had much appreciation for him either. Since all that is on the radio this weekend is his stuff, I still don't. Cute in the early years, but the moronic disco beat caused the radio off a couple hours ago, the seminal tribute of the moonwalkers in London clinched it, idiots is too kind

But that is the world these days, full of "reality" shows & dopes

Top Bottom