What's new

Your favorite menthol aftershave

How would you describe the scent of Osage Rub. And Proraso green smells just like the soap/cream, right?

Actually I find Osage Rub and Proraso Green to smell very, very similar. Eucalyptus and menthol. Osage is stronger on the menthol and the stronger scent overall imo, but YMMV with that. Proraso is a little gentler and more nuanced a smell but if I smelled them blindfolded I might get them mixed up.

I would definitely place Cryogen on the first place. The most mentholated AS as of today. The only drawback is the fragrance as it doesn't have any smell rather than menthol. Fine Snake Bite and Sage Rub are way below in terms of menthol concentration and are also slacking on the fragrance.

If you want a nice menthol breeze and a decent coniferous/juniper type of fragrance, go for Duke Cannon Ice Cold AS. That was my day-to-day go-to option for a long time. Not nearly as mentholated as Cryogen, but the fragrance and overall skin feel are great.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Bootlegger’s Green Freeze!

90D0AADC-EEF7-40F5-93FA-6B1D988801CA.jpeg

I just tried Floid Mentholada Vigaroso for the 1st time yesterday. Man I felt that menthol hrs after my shave. Pretty sure I’ll be using this more than my Fine and Proraso.

I just tried Floid Mentholada Vigaroso for the 1st time yesterday. Man I felt that menthol hrs after my shave. Pretty sure I’ll be using this more than my Fine and Proraso.
Is there a particular Fine you used, or is there only one Fine mentholated aftershave?

Chatillon Lux is my favorite aftershave, and most (if not all) have a nice dose of menthol. Ergo, Chatillon Lux.

Because CL is now out of the aftershave business, I’d also offer up Noble Otter Orbit. A very nice face freeze and mild fresh scent.

Mennen Skin Bracer
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Why? I love the scent and Menthol kick of both and I can walk into Walmart and walk out 5 minutes later with a 7 ounce bottle of each for less than $5 each including tax.

Also, Mennen Skin Bracer brings back memories as I used it almost exclusively when I was a young Airman in the Air Force years ago...reminds me of times when I was single, living on a Air Force base, working on high performance Military aircraft, foot loose and fancey free. My life is good now but I enjoy the memories of times gone past also...

I have some Gabel's Sta-Cool. The menthol isn't quite Osage Rub/Snakebite caliber, but the scent is nice...it has spearmint and eucalyptus oil in it, along with menthol. Comes in a big 15 ounce bottle, can't recall whom I bought it from, probably Appleton or Amazon, but was only about six bucks. Getting to really enjoy this...I think a back-up bottle will be necessary.

Attachments

• 20210818_112916.jpg
    20210818_112916.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
How would you describe the scent of Osage Rub. And Proraso green smells just like the soap/cream, right?
Osage Rub is a mix of menthol and eucalyptus in alcohol. A fairly pleasant medicinal smell that fades fast, with a strong menthol effect on the skin. In the same vicinity as Proraso Green.

Osage Rub is pretty strong on its own for aftershave, so I like to mix it with something else, usually citrus, plus witch hazel. Another good combo is Osage Rub + Clubman Citrus Musk + Dickenson's witch hazel. Very nice for hotter weather.

Top Bottom