What's new

Your favorite local brewery

Tell me your favorite local brewery (try to keep it within 100 miles of you) and their signature brew that I should try to hunt down (ideally something that is actually bottled and sold...)

Here in Rochester, my favorite is Three Heads Brewing and their signature is probably 'The Kind' IPA.

$005-6.jpg

There was an article in the Journal of Food Science titled "Does Guinness travel well?" from March 2011. Unfortunately my institution does not subscribe to this particular journal. I don't suppose anyone has an electronic copy of this that's willing to share?

Guinness! (About 4 miles away)

The most popular local brew around here is SunKing. Their big guns are the Osiris Pale Ale and the Cream Ale (not a fan of the cream, but what're you gonna do). They also have 4 seasonal releases of "Handful of Hops" that are each very good.

MY favorite local brew is Scarlet Lane Brewery. They have a Vivian Red IPA that I really like, as well as a pretty good Dorian Stout.

Rogue Ales and Spirits. Rogue Nation World Headquarters is just over the bridge, a mile and a half or so from my abode. They brew an extensive selection of beers, some of which, honestly, are kind of weird, but the flagship brews are world class: Dead Guy Ale, Brutal IPA, and Yellow Snow IPA. Widely distributed, so you should be able to find them.

I don't drink beer, but about 4 miles from here there is a vineyard called Valenzano Wines. They produce a number of locally grown, locally bottled wines called Jersey Devil. They come in a variety of flavors and proofs. Their dark Port wine is 19.5% alcohol content and packs quite a kick.

These wines are immensely popular in this area, for obvious reasons. And they are very hard to find, since they only produce small batches each year and only market them through a handful of liquor stores within a 20 mile radius. I don't think they ship them to any out of state stores, but you might be able to find it online.

www.valenzanowine.com

Last edited:
I live in southern California I got like a dozens of breweries to choose from lagunitas, stone, golden road, firestone walker, russian river, bootleggers, but the best is Anchor brewing.

Some excellent local breweries near me. New Glarus is a world class brewery. Ale Asylum and Karben4 are excellent as well.

I get a kick out of Karben4's Fantasy Factory label.

$2ecc9696070505be3cf2086b537be548.jpg

I feel incredibly fortunate to be close to Tree House Brewing Co. If you're unfamiliar with them....change that! They are making some of the very best beers out there. Their flagship beer Julius is the top rated IPA on beeradvocate. That is just one of the many elite beers that they offer. My fridge is routinely filled with Tree House and I'm thankful for every sip.

$Photo+Dec+10,+3+51+47+PM.jpg
$10727393_872828799393831_88365730_a.jpg

Years ago when I used to travel a lot I always made it a point to try a local beer.

I recall such beers as Point Beer out of Stevens Point, WI, Yankee Beer out of Dubuque IO, Rhinegold and Ballantine in NYC area, Stone City in IO, Eau Claire in WI, Olympia in WA, Cudesophl (Sp?) in Ohio, Knickerbocker on the east coast, and Schmid's of Philly.

I live in southern California I got like a dozens of breweries to choose from lagunitas, stone, golden road, firestone walker, russian river, bootleggers, but the best is Anchor brewing.

Ballast Point ain't nothing to sneeze at. Their Sculpin IPA is a favorite of mine.

I've seen several Anchor beers at the grocery store, but have yet to actually purchase any. Will have to change that soon. Is there one you specifically recommend? I know I've seen a "steam" beer and Liberty Ale....

Ballast Point ain't nothing to sneeze at. Their Sculpin IPA is a favorite of mine.
Tons of good breweries in SD, you could spend a week touring them all...
Unfortunately in LA there's not actually a lot of local places that I like. The favorites would be:
Beachwood Brewing - their IPA's are pretty much all awesome.
MacLeod Ale Brewing Co. - all English cask-style beers, I like the Jackie Tar (brown stout) and some of their rotating pale ales.

Years ago when I used to travel a lot I always made it a point to try a local beer.
Ditto that Jim..
I'll actually be in Flagstaff next month for a wedding, are there any local producers there that you'd recommend keeping an eye out for and/or visiting?

Top Bottom