What's new

Your Favorite High End Adjustable? & Why?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Which is the best high end adjustable? Which is your favorite high end adjustable? Why?

I don't have all of them so I can't answer this sort of question, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested. Several gentlemen have or have tried all the adjustables. I'm not trying to limit this conversation by $$$ spent, so the Pearl Flexi is not excluded nor is any other adjustable, but I'm mostly interested in modern razors which can be purchased new or on the BST (at least within the next few months).

Thanks for any responses. You may save me money or enable my RAD spending. Either way, it's all good.

I do. :biggrin1: I have the MC 2021, so slightly different than the 2020 or even the 2021. It may be my favorite, but I alternate between the Muramasa, the Taiga and the Rex, and all have strengths and weaknesses. The Sailor is a precision instrument, in feel and function, and priced accordingly. It's also a heavy razor, so requires a significantly different approach when shaving, but it's every bit as smooth and efficient as others have indicated. And as they say "it goes to 11." :001_tongu You can adjust this beast - twice - to any conceivable efficiency/aggression anyone might want without using a straight - and the lower numbers are just as efficient and comfortable on the mild end of the spectrum. The top cap is actually flat, so more maneuverable than expected on first glance. It's really a 2-piece razor, and you can't disassemble it (at least easily, and I don't know anyone who has), so dead easy to rinse out, but again it very likely has some complicated innards (two springs in the baseplate for example), that are unreachable. It's like a custom-built track car, that you just drive and hope all goes well, because someone else will need to repair and service it (and on that note, because it's more or less hand-built, there are instances of heads falling off and medallions falling out). But man does it drive! Downsides are: the weight (140 g, more than 2.5x the Taiga), so not exactly nimble, but I believe the weight actually contributes to the efficiency. The handle knurling is also not the deepest, although works surprisingly well with care (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), and the adjustment numbers are difficult to see. Again not a perfect razor, but my experience has been nothing less than outstanding, and is has become my favorite - for looks and function. It's not one I would ever consider using a Feather in (did I mention the weight? :001_rolle), but it rocks with an Astra or Personna.

If you had to pick just one which would it be? Why?

No quibbling on the question. (This is not real life. No need to actually get rid of the others.)

Obviously, I hope other gentlemen with an array of high end adjustables will also answer.

If the above question is too hard (that is, impossible) maybe say how they rank as in #1 is ____, #2 is ____, etc. Maybe say why?

We'll see how the Rex Konsul fits in here when we have the Konsul. (I have on order the RSMC and the Konsul.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't own premium adjustables.
I own a Rockwell T2, which is my most expensive razor, I also own a Pearl Flexi and a soviet aristocrat copy.

I favour the two newest razors over the vintage one.
That said I can enjoy both the T2 and the Flexi one day and then have a less enjoyable shave with both a couple of days later.
I'm sure it's because I'm not experienced enough, I started de shaving in june and my guess is I have too many razors. I switch everyday.
To make things worse I have a Merkur Progress awaiting pick-up so I will have an extra problem on/in my hands.

Pearl vs T2. The T2 is smoother, the Flexi appears to be more efficient.
If I had to pick today I would (probably, No maybe, errr I'm not entirely sure...) go for the T2.

I was also interested in buying the Ambassador when I ended up with the Pearl. But I saw Matt's review of both razors on youtube. He said 'I would't be able to tell them apart if I was blindfolded' - so I went for the cheaper option.

Which is the best high end adjustable? Which is your favorite high end adjustable? Why?

I don't have all of them so I can't answer this sort of question, but it doesn't mean I'm not interested. Several gentlemen have or have tried all the adjustables. I'm not trying to limit this conversation by $$$ spent, so the Pearl Flexi is not excluded nor is any other adjustable, but I'm mostly interested in modern razors which can be purchased new or on the BST (at least within the next few months).

Thanks for any responses. You may save me money or enable my RAD spending. Either way, it's all good.

If you had to pick just one which would it be? Why?

No quibbling on the question. (This is not real life. No need to actually get rid of the others.)

Obviously, I hope other gentlemen with an array of high end adjustables will also answer.

If the above question is too hard (that is, impossible) maybe say how they rank as in #1 is ____, #2 is ____, etc. Maybe say why?

We'll see how the Rex Konsul fits in here when we have the Konsul. (I have on order the RSMC and the Konsul.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
Easy for me, among the four I regularly use (RSMC the keeper):

1. Rocnel Sailor - precision alignment and adjustment, balance, weight, fit and finish, range of adjustment.
2. HLS Taiga Ti - light weight, fit/finish, ability to completely break down for cleaning, maneuverability, range of adjustment.

3. Tatara Muramasa - balance/weight, ease of disassembly, form factor/design

4. Rex Ambassador - balance/weight, superb grip, range of adjustment

All of them provide an excellent shave, comfort and efficiency as rank ordered. And all are actually very close in the ranking (spaced for more precise definition).

Last edited:
The only adjustable I own that's newer and over $100 is a Rockwell Model T. I'm assuming we're not counting variable plate razors like the Rockwell 6S because I don't really consider it a true adjustable. The only other adjustables I own are a Gillette Slim and Gillette Super Adjustable.

I've only recently received the Model T so I haven't formed a solid opinion of it but, preliminarily, it's really just okay. It's a really large razor which makes it slightly unwieldy and more difficult to get at the tight places.
So far my best adjustable shave has been the Gillette Super Adjustable and even then, it's not as good as most of my three piece razors.

The one high end adjustable that I would very much like to try is the Tatara Muramasa. The idea of the guard moving in and out to adjust the shave is compelling.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm assuming you're serious. I've read other reviews which make it look quite impressive, too.

Easy for me, among the four I regularly use (RSMC the keeper):

1. Rocnel Sailor - precision alignment and adjustment, balance, weight, fit and finish, range of adjustment.
2. HLS Taiga Ti - light weight, fit/finish, ability to completely break down for cleaning, maneuverability, range of adjustment.

3. Tatara Muramasa - balance/weight, ease of disassembly, form factor/design

4. Rex Ambassador - balance/weight, superb grip, range of adjustment

All of them provide an excellent shave, comfort and efficiency as rank ordered. And all are actually very close in the ranking (spaced for more precise definition).

Thanks.

That helps me a good bit. I suspect you and I have similar needs and preferences. I've read a bunch of your write ups and comparisons but had no idea how you'd answer this question.

Happy shaves,

Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
High End? Hasn't been done for a while, mid-60's. I had a Rex, not that good and took a loss to send it to Israel. The bulbous Merkurs didn't shave that well for me .. but if you mean adjustable by means of different plates or shims thats beyond me

I have the Tatara Muramasa, and it’s one of my top 5 DE razors of any kind. I also have the Ambassador and like it very much. I also like the old Gillette adjustables. As with everything else in this hobby, we are truly spoiled with so many excellent choices.

I've got the N2 Rex Ambassasdor and the Pearl Flexi

Though I prefer the Rex for its weight and shave quality, it's more blade feel (apart from the nagging issue my copy has of uneven blade exposure after 3)

The flexi would be my go to as its smoother and efficient.

I have the model T. Very good shaver but i don't reach out as often knowing its head is Made of Zamak.

Nothing high end to see here :)
16398036142173619812793528252334.jpg

16398036949241543940436988828583.jpg

^^^you're interested in modern razors...I wouldn't want to trouble you. ;)

Kidding aside, perhaps it's placebo effect, but my toggle is my favorite adjustable. Close runner up are my Executive Fatboys.

I've got a Rex Envoy that keeps me from wanting to try the Ambassador. I just can't get the angle right on the Envoy, it either nicks me or doesn't shave...seems to be no in between for me. I find it maddening as I've got over 80 vintage Gillette and another 30-40 "other" modern and vintage varieties, and not a one of them have I ever struggled with. My muscle memory is simply not conducive with the geometry of the Envoy. I'm curious if the Envoy and Ambassador have the same head geometry, and which vintage Gillette, if any, they borrow from.

Top Bottom