What's new

Your Favorite Frankenstein razor set-up?

I created a razor I really like. It has the chromed head from a Merkur HD, and the handle of a 1950's Star DE razor that I had replated in 12k (?) gold.

It is bright and beautiful to look at. It is a fairly aggressive shaver with Shark, Astra, or Dorco blades. And the size, weight, and balance seem outstanding to my hand and face.

It is in my weekly rotation, and is in happy competition with the usual suspects: Fat Boy, Slim, Aristocrat, NEW, '48 Super Speed, Segal, Sheraton, Gem 1912, and Schick G. I consider this grouping to be "the 10 best."

I would like to hear of any other successful creations.

Any suggestions for a name? Maybe Star King?

Last edited:
I'm confused.... the Merkur HD (aka 34C) is a two piece razor with the baseplate attached to the handle. How would you attach a different handle to that (without doing some surgery with a hack saw and a soldering gun)?

Pics please :)

I have the handle from a parker 91R, fitted to a Stahly head.
It's very aggressive, and gives great shaves.
-- Chet

My current favorite FrankenRazor is a Stahly Head on a Tradere handle ... well-balanced, smooth and easy to navigate in all directions.

I have several 3-piece razors and extra handles that I like to mix-n-match ... these would include

EJ89L
cooncatbob Bull Mastiff handle
inner part of a Merkur Barberpole handle
several English Techs and News
a Single Ring

I can get a lot of different combos out of these pieces,
but the Stahly/Tradere is the current leader of the pack,
and the rest of the razors in this group
tend to stay in their original configurations.

I created a razor I really like. It has the chromed head from a Merkur HD, and the handle of a 1950's Star DE razor that I had replated in 12k (?) gold.

It is bright and beautiful to look at. It is a fairly aggressive shaver with Shark, Astra, or Dorco blades. And the size, weight, and balance seem outstanding to my hand and face.

It is in my weekly rotation, and is in happy competition with the usual suspects: Fat Boy, Slim, Aristocrat, NEW, '48 Super Speed, Segal, Sheraton, Gem 1912, and Schick G. I consider this grouping to be "the 10 best."

I would like to hear of any other successful creations.

Any suggestions for a name? Maybe Star King?

Thanks for the correction. My bad. The head is from a Merkur 3 piece razor, the #44011, with the black classy handle that I refer to as "the black cigar." That is the head that is mated with my 1950's Star gold handle.

I'm confused.... the Merkur HD (aka 34C) is a two piece razor with the baseplate attached to the handle. How would you attach a different handle to that (without doing some surgery with a hack saw and a soldering gun)?

Pics please :)
Thanks for the correction, Jamesspo. My bad. The head in fact is from a Merkur #44011, a 3 piece razor with a classy black handle, that I call "the black cigar." It is mated with the gold replated handle from a 1950's Star DE razor.

Top Bottom