What's new

Your favorite Case knife?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks guys, now I need to buy a Case knife.........
Yes, you do. Still made in the US, still a great all around knife. It might not have a glamorous name, but they are still getting the job done. My grandfather had a Case XX, and I'm 45.

Legion

Staff member
This is one I sometimes carry on the weekends, mainly because it is about the only one with a bottle opener. Vintage Boyscout with carbon blades.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
That Sir is a beautiful knife!!!

Thank you, sir. And it takes a great edge.

I'm actually glad I didn't own it when I was a boyscout. This knife is from the 60's. When I was a boyscout in the 80's I had a Chinese copy of pretty much this exact knife, and I went salt water fishing with it and turned it into a rusted mess. This one will survive me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is one I sometimes carry on the weekends, mainly because it is about the only one with a bottle opener. Vintage Boyscout with carbon blades.

proxy.php
I need one of these. When I carried a Bic lighter I didn't need a bottle opener. I will not use a Zippo to do such a thing.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just found that Case is now owned by Zippo. That makes sense- I always thought of Case as the Zippo of knives- dependable and within the reach of the working class man.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is stamped 6344, which is a medium Stockman with bone handles. The Case website has lots of info.

My favorite Case knife? All of them. They still turn out a great product at an affordable price. I always have a Sodbuster with a carbon blade on me.

That's very useful! I've been eyeballing a few vintage case knives at the local antique store, have never owned one though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Mile- I didn't see the year by year breakdown, just the decade one. Mine is a 1988.

Last year for fathers day I got my dad a Case Medium stockman in stainless (so he doesn't have to worry about oiling it).

Build quality is fantastic. Edge quality was not so fantastic. Sharp, but not the finest honing job, looks like they stopped at about 320 grit. I still need to get my stones over and hone it up for him, carefully. There was a huge burr, and I stropped it quickly for dad before giving it to him (didn't want to stone in case he didn't like that model). Stropping it actually made it VERY sharp, shaving hair and shaving paper, but was still rougher than it should be in its price range. He was very surprised, and really liked it. He kept saying he needed a pocket knife... :)

Other than that, you can't deny Case knives and the quality they represent. I'm hoping I got an old stock and Case has changed their honing method to leave a smoother edge! I bought it at a local hardware to help support small business. I paid a little more, but I'm lucky to have a local Case dealer with a pretty well stocked display case! I keep eying their smaller fixed blade huning knife with stacked leather handle. Such beautiful knives!

My favorite Case Knife is the Slimline Trapper (bottom of pic) I bought brand new in 1979. I was 13 and just started trapping. It is a carbon blade and is one of my sharpest knives. Its skinned and fleshed many animals over its years and cleaned many fish. Now it gets to sit in my pocket as one of my EDC rotation.

A new favorite is my most recent Case: a Medium Texas Jack with black synthetic handles. About the perfect size for an office knife - 3.38 inches closed, weight less than 2 ounces. Comes with a small pen blade and a pointy clip blade. The steel is left at a satin polish, and the handles are deep, deep black. Really nice little folder.

$220.jpg

Additionally, the Number on the tang tells you the handle material, number of blades and pattern type.

attachment.php

Handle Material:
attachment.php
this may be a hhole other ball game but this is not always the case, I have a peachseed bone handle with a cv blade that should have been in a yellow handle the peachseed bone was only supposed to come in ss. they make mistakes too. don't really care as I like the cv blade better anyway.

My favorite Case knife is the yellow handled Sod Buster Jr in Chrome Vanadium steel. Just a very tough and useful pocket knife.

After reading through this thread and digging out some old knives, I realized I didn't have a Case. Remedied that with a Mini CopperLock.

Attachments

• $Case Mini CopperLock.jpg
    $Case Mini CopperLock.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 67
Top Bottom