$c3d971e543f4fbf6d605d59bfad09970-2.jpg

Future.

$aero-bugatti-atlantique.jpg

Distant past.

$aero-Alfa_40-60_HP_Aerodinamica.jpg

Distant future.

$aero-Jaray-streamliner.jpg

$dodge_monaco.jpg
1966 Dodge Monaco, first car I bought with my own money without parents help. I was a poor college student in 1978 when I bought it for $275 + $15 document fee at the local Dodge Dealer. It ran okay, made me happy while I had it, spent some money on repairs but it never broke down on me. Replaced it with a 1971 Fiat 128. What was I thinking?

proxy.php

Had a hot 283, tuck and roll interior, bucket seats, Hurst shifter on a multitude of junk yard three speeds. I street raced just about every Friday and Saturday night. I worked at a wrecking yard so I had an endless supply of used parts to fix what I blew up. I'd limp it to yard on Sunday morning and we'd make an afternoon out of fixing cars. I even had a clutch WITH a "lifetime" warranty! The shop I bought it from voided my warranty after the fourth replacement in as many weeks. LOL

The green paint on below the rear window hump was from a guy's head that I slammed into the fender one night after a disagreement about something stupid. His head healed up, my car stayed dented. I sprayed some green paint on a spot where the paint chipped. Oh well.

Wish I still had it and lot of other things I've gotten rid of over the years too. LOL

1966 Dodge Monaco, first car I bought with my own money without parents help. I was a poor college student in 1978 when I bought it for $275 + $15 document fee at the local Dodge Dealer. It ran okay, made me happy while I had it, spent some money on repairs but it never broke down on me. Replaced it with a 1971 Fiat 128. What was I thinking?
I had a 1969 Monaco 4-dr HT with a 383 wedge V8, enough space in the trunk, almost, for a full size mattress. The ride was fantastic, and I never had the nerve to see how fast it could go. 120 was where the speedometer stopped, after all, so I would have needed to get someone else with a high speed car, and different speedometer limits, to try to find out.

Mine had belonged to a maiden aunt, and was already 15 years old, I think, when she died. I do know it had only 11,000 miles on it, and the interior looked brand new, still. Surprisingly, it only weighed about 3800 pounds, in spite of looking like a real barge, it was so long.

Thanks for the reminder!

(Mine was light metallic blue, with a white vinyl roof.)

Had a hot 283, tuck and roll interior, bucket seats, Hurst shifter on a multitude of junk yard three speeds. I street raced just about every Friday and Saturday night. I worked at a wrecking yard so I had an endless supply of used parts to fix what I blew up. I'd limp it to yard on Sunday morning and we'd make an afternoon out of fixing cars. I even had a clutch WITH a "lifetime" warranty! The shop I bought it from voided my warranty after the fourth replacement in as many weeks. LOL

The green paint on below the rear window hump was from a guy's head that I slammed into the fender one night after a disagreement about something stupid. His head healed up, my car stayed dented. I sprayed some green paint on a spot where the paint chipped. Oh well.

Wish I still had it and lot of other things I've gotten rid of over the years too. LOL

cool car! Ever see 2 Lane Blacktop? They have a '55 Chevy (my fave out of the 55-56-57) with a blueprinted 327 SBC with headers, high riser carbs, Muncie 'Rock Crusher' M22 transmission. Here's the opening to it. The first car the '55 races in the film is a Plymouth Barracuda (Challenger perhaps).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I watched that a while back. I always liked the 55's too. 56's had a stupid looking front end to me. I had a 327 built for mine and decided I wanted something newer. I sold it and the '57 and bought a '67 El Camino with a 350HP 327 and a damned Turbo-Glide 2 speed auto. It would smoke the tires forever if you wanted it too. No weight in the back. The El Camino had A/c which was nice. LOL. It got totaled when I nailed a drunk driving and Old's 98 (tank) that left turned in front of me. Ended up with a little Buick that I hated after that. Then I sold it an joined the Navy.

Built a couple of street rods back in the 80's. By then I was gettin too old to have fun like that anymore.

Bought my boy a 67 Fairlane a couple of years ago. Figured it would keep him spent down and under it enough to keep himout of too much trouble. So far it's worked. Hee HEE.
Here's my boy and sweety headed for the Sr prom last night.
proxy.php

He took his girlfriend too. ;)
Here's Dad and the bronc.
proxy.php

He ain't near as wild as I was at his age, thank God.

Handsome young lad with a beautiful prom date and a great baby blue Ford. Who could ask for anything more? My dad bought me a Ford too -- a '72 For Pinto, that is, for my first car. :)

My dad didn't buy my cars. I found the '57 and went to the bank and signed a "signature loan" for $400. I paid it off in six months. Dad did DEMAND that I carry liability insurance on it. It wasn't required back then EXCEPT by dad, so I paid for insurance too. Never needed it, but I had it.

My boy works when he can, but the opportunities that I had to work aren't there these days. I worked 3 jobs and kept a B average in school. Managed to do all that WITHOUT a damned cell/text phone too. Just think what I could have done if I'd had one of those things!!!!

Be a neat trick to speed shift and hang on to a 13" steering wheel, a beer bottle, AND a cell phone.. Probably a good thing I didn't have one.:sneaky2:

52's had vent windows. '50 was the last year without 'em.

Had a '54 1st Model 5 window 3100 for awhile. It was all original. Somebody offered me three times what I paid for it and they owned.

They're fun.

I enjoyed my El Camino from 2004-2006, surprisingly I was never killed or arrested in it.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've always loved the looks of the Studebaker Avanti in gold

I presently drive a Rolls-Canardi

Rolls fine downhill can hardly make it up

That car has, er, "unique" styling, I'll say that much for it at least.

Probably my favorite car was my '63 Nova. I love pre-seatbelt cars. It was a Franken-car, with a 350 V8 from an old vette under the hood and it ran like a turkentine cat. Plus in spite of being a midsize car, it was roomy inside. I could take a nap in the back seat. I could even take a nap in the FRONT seat. (straight bench seat... love those bench seats!) Gas mileage was so-so on the highway, but not too good in town, especially if I drove it like I was mad at it. Didn't look like much but I showed my tail lights to a lot of surprised drivers when the light turned green. No pic... sorry. You can google one, though. Not impressively styled. It wasn't meant to be anything but a decent driver.

The 350V8 mod was very common for these early and mid 60's Novas. It was nearly a drop-in replacement. Only needed a different oil pan and a low profile water pump, and for better cooling in city traffic, a larger radiator and ducted fan. The original engine was I think a 160 c.i. inline 6. A bigger 6 cyl from a chevy truck also fit, as a completely drop-in replacement. Lots of room to play around under that hood.

There was a 327 V8 that also fit, and actually gave about the same power, but it used a two-bolt main and was not as strong an engine. The 350 was a workhorse that never quit. Probably overall the best medium displacement engine Chevy ever built.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
A 1980 Mazda 626. Was it the best car I've ever had? No, of course not. But it was the first car I ever had. I learned to drive in it, and it lasted an age, despite me almost never spending a cent on maintenance. It took me everywhere, it was my transport, and occasionally shelter and sleeping quarters. I have many fond memories of that old thing, and the ladies who visited with me the back seat (obviously they were not too elitist, but me and my little car did our best.)

It cost little, was quite reliable, and survived many adventures. That's all you can ask of a first car.

proxy.php

1978 Olds Cutlass coupe. Handed down to me (freshly re-painted!) after HS graduation (Class of '84). Being a car geek and loyal Car Craft Magazine subscriber at that time, I knew a 455 c.i. Olds would make a perfect replacement for the wimpy stock 260 ci engine. Dropped in with no changes whatsoever to the mounts. Long story short-----bought '70 Delta 88 for $200.00, removed engine and trashed the rest, re-built engine, basically just replacing all bearings and seals, painted it, dropped it in, had to have custom dual exhaust welded up since it was fairly snug.

Bottom line: Fun, great-sounding hot rod 'sleeper' I enjoyed every time I turned the key!! I regret that I didn't have the means (or the sense!) to keep it until I could upgrade the tranny and rearend as well.

Strangely, from there, I drove a series of Hondas and currently drive a Nissan p'up. Pics of Cutlass are all 'pre-digital'. I guess I should scan them sometime.

Last edited:
Wow, a 455ci in a Cutlass Coupe. That thing would probably beat a Turbo Buick (Grand National, Turbo T-Type, GNX) which is also an A body. Seems a bit overkill to stick a 455ci in an A body but then again I am not a speed junkie. Did the heavy engine make it handle poorly?

Top Bottom