What's new

Your Favorite Brush For Head Shaving?

Whether I'm head lathering or bowl lathering, I prefer a bigger brush. My current head lathering favorite is the Stirling Kong (or the RazoRock Monster, as they're so indistinguishable to me that I consider them to be the same brush). What's your favorite head brush, esp for head lathering?

I use the monster as well since it covers so much area. I shave my head in the shower and always have an issue getting everything too wet while lathering so I end up using a brushless cream many times.

Kong for me too. I'm getting a Monster as soon as my restraint is over, and I've been eyeballing the 26mm Suave brushes from Crown King as well.

Kong for me too. I'm getting a Monster as soon as my restraint is over, and I've been eyeballing the 26mm Suave brushes from Crown King as well.

Me too.
I may grab one at Big Shave West, if Douglas has any there.
Is it just me or is it hard to find synth brushes bigger than 26mm?

Me too.
I may grab one at Big Shave West, if Douglas has any there.
Is it just me or is it hard to find synth brushes bigger than 26mm?

Whipped Dog has the 30mm, and I think Bufflehead was another that offered them. The Whipped Dog is an ubersoft knot, so it has A LOT of backbone. For my tastes, the knots he uses need quite a bit more loft. I'm probably going to get rid of mine for two reasons. One is that it just has far too much backbone. The other is that in the ubersoft knot, with that much density and not much loft, it doesn't hold onto soap very well. All of the soap just kinda accumulates on the outside of the brush. It never really penetrates the knot. I do enjoy his 24mm though.

I have some Chubby 3s, but the three below get the job done when I'm shaving face & head.. The M&F has a 38mm knot and the Shavemac on the right is 34mm. The Kent in full bloom is 88mm at its widest point.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

How do I acquire a 38mm like that?

You'd have to contact Lee Sabini, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. This is an extraordinarily large brush with very limited appeal to the average shaver and it would seem unlikely he'd stock the material to make the handle. When I bought it, I thought of it as a bit of a joke (think clown shoes) but have ended up using it regularly for head lathers.

I received the Monster in a PIF about a week ago. It's fast becoming one of my favorites. I really like my silvertip Delong, it feels wonderful dancing over my head.

Top Bottom