What's new

Your experience with slicing a straight

In YouTube videos on using the straight,
  • some advice to move the razor only perpendicular to the edge (the way the double edge moves as it is pulled by a handle that is at 90 degrees to the blade), never moving it parallel to the edge (the way a knife moves as it slices bread); but
  • but others advice to move the straight a tiny bit parallel to its edge (slicing) as it is moved mostly perpendicular to its edge.

What's your experience and observations concerning slicing motion with a straight?

Any time I have moved the slightest bit parallel, I get bit. I can do an arcing motion on my neck and that works.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most call it a scything stroke.
It will become second nature after you have been at it a while.
There does not need to be much lateral movement to make it effective.
Another option is to angle the blade slightly (toe leading) like a guillotine. This gives a slight slicing as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I do it as a matter of course. Don’t really give it any thought. I also use a lot of arcing motions to get here and there. If you have your skin stretched and have the blade at a proper angle, you shouldn’t get cut. It is a small motion.

based on your level of experience I wouldn't try it until you're well experienced otherwise. it's a very easy bloodletting initially, but works quite well once you have it down.

A stroke you should not even be concerning yourself with as a beginner, but once you have dozens upon dozens of shaves under your belt, you may find scything strokes really improve smoothness in certain areas. It's something you will discover on your own when timing is right. Not a good idea to force things here.

Don't "try" to do it. That's a surefire recipe for failure.

After many, many straight shaves, you will one day just notice that it's happening all on its own.

Sliding it somewhat sideways while in a pass is slicing. Scything, or moving it in an arc, is much safer and accomplishes a better and more efficient cut.

To stabilize the razor in learning this, plant some part of your hand, like the base of your thumb or a couple fingers, on one position on your head then pivot your hand and the blade in an arc as you make your pass. As you incrementally progress toward the un-mown areas, your planted fingers can feel the stubble or lack thereof, to see how well you’ve accomplished the pass. Choking up on the blade a little, such as a light pinch of the shoulder between forefinger and thumb, also helps stabilize and better control the blade, which can be particularly helpful in an atg pass.

Another option is to angle the blade slightly (toe leading) like a guillotine. This gives a slight slicing as well.

Drew a picture:

slicing_while_chopping.jpg

From the picture, toe leading would be a push; heel leading would be a pull. Isn't pulling safer than pushing.

In reality you can angle the razor either way.
I do not use arcs to shave or define scything.
Moving the blade laterally while moving forward is considered a scything stroke. Again, the lateral movement is very minimal. You MUST be moving forward. (90% forward, 10% lateral)

proxy.php

Top Bottom