What's new

Your experience with shave creams

I started off with the 'Body Shop' Maca Root cream. It worked OK - about a million times better than the WS blue tub soap I started with, but then I tried a tube of Proraso red, and haven't looked back.....

I have tried the Bigelow's version of Proraso, in the green metal tube. It's okay. I don't care for the menthol in it. There are some that believe menthol is not good for shaving... not sure why, but I just didn't really like it. It lathered well.

My current favorite cream is Trumper's GFT. However, I have many that I regularly use: Toobs St. James, Toobs Jermyn Street, Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Jake's Stuff For Guys Sport (out of print... I NEED MORE!), Razorock XXX, J Peterman's 1903, Arko Lemon, Arko Kommando, Old Spice Original and Lime (India), Irisch Moos, and some others that escape me right now.

The Trumpers Coconut seems to be a favorite of many on here. If I could try a sample and liked it, I would get a large tub. However, it's sorta spendy to purchase without knowing what you're getting.

I bought the 1903 based on the marketing and after reading several reviews across this and other shaving/scent boards. I really like it, but my wife doesn't care for the scent too much. It was expensive... I'll never again buy a scented product without being able to judge it (and have my wife sniff as well) before ordering.

As such, if you have a local shop - go and take some sniffs. Otherwise, if you're like me and live in an area that doesn't cater to the shave fetish, then you're going to have to go by non-objective opinions, marketing hype, and hope - or somehow obtain samplers.

On the other hand... the mall on this board let's you buy/sell products amongst fellow shave nerds so there's some support there. That's the thing about scents and shaving products, not everyone likes the same things but you'll always find someone that like likes the thing you don't. Take Arko sticks for instance.... I think they smell like bad grandma perfume mixed with bad glade air freshener that's been sprayed into an outhouse that's been festering in the sun after 10-days use by a 40-strong construction crew. On the other hand, there are contributors to B&B that perceive Arko to be a heaven-sent scent. To each his own. There is no "right" answer when you start talking about scents. Additionally, I don't even know what bergamot or fougiere are. So what's that tell you????

Proraso is on the way (green, red and white)
Probably next will be TOBS.
Did you use maybe shave cream "Taconic"? I like citrus scent and on the web I founded that is made in US (Tequila Lime).

Taconic's tequila lime is a great cream. The scent is a subdued lime, as the tequila levels it a bit, and therefore isn't a powerful, 'knock your socks off' citrus lime. Taconic is VERY concentrated, and makes a fantastic lather. I enjoy shaving with their TL, as well as their other two creams.

I have tried Proraso, AOS, Palmolive, MEM and recently discovered Geo F Trumper.
For me, Trumper is at a different class altogether.

I bowl lathe. I have been using Proraso soap, after reading this I will try the creams. I will really like Figaro and Habana creams.. Sometimes with my soaps I add a little bit of Cremo. You have to get the water amount just right because Cremo tends to dry, but it makes everything slick and creamy.

I'm prone to using stuff up before getting more stuff, well much more stuff LOL I've used, and thoroughly enjoyed, TOBS rose scent and Cremo. The Cremo scent takes a little getting used to but when mixed with Van der Hagen's soap, it's not bad. I've avoided Proaso because of the ingredients so I can't really comment on it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suggest you read "10 favorite" or "5 favorite creams" posts. When you see the same cream near the top of many lists that's a good place to start.

Big fan of TOBS. I read recently about a super lather. It's a combination using you're soap and additionally a cream. I go unscented in this department but it really makes for a superior lather. Give that a shot. Of course it requires making the lather in a bowl:). Enjoy the shave!

Top Bottom