What's new

Your EDC Flashlight?

SureFire Stiletto Pro

IMG_9204.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As I mentioned in the post above yours, it's the twisties that have extra complexity for me, due to them needing two hands, when I already have one busy keeping me standing upright.

As regards there potentially being more things to go wrong, I think I have had two twisties pack up on me, and two with push buttons. One of the clickies started flickering badly, but I don't know which end of the light the problem was at. Another just went kaput, but again, that could have been the emitter. I had one of my twisties just stop working too. The other twistie failure was getting home one day to find the head had come away, and there was just the empty tube attached to my keys.

There doesn't seem to be that many AAA clicked around, which is why I went sniffing around the Olight ones last year (i3T EOS). Compared with the copper Maratac (I have one too, and think they're the same), both modes are brighter on the Olight. However, the high is bright enough to mean the run time is quite short. That's not a problem for me, as I will use the low more often, but for others it may be an issue.

View attachment 1806375

Interesting - I generally don't appreciate the multifunction modes for my pocket light (I actually don't like then on other lights). And your picture highlights the amount of extra mass required for the clicker ..

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting - I generally don't appreciate the multifunction modes for my pocket light (I actually don't like then on other lights). And your picture highlights the amount of extra mass required for the clicker ..

I tend to like a lower power indoors, and a higher power outdoors, but don't want to have to go hunting for them, nor be stumbling upon a disco mode. For me, the extra bulk is worth the one handed operation these days (especially outdoors), but in the before the walking stick, I did like the smaller footprint of the twisties for keyring type carry.

I tend to like a lower power indoors, and a higher power outdoors, but don't want to have to go hunting for them, nor be stumbling upon a disco mode. For me, the extra bulk is worth the one handed operation these days (especially outdoors), but in the before the walking stick, I did like the smaller footprint of the twisties for keyring type carry.
I basically agree with your last couple of posts. Except for the small point that I use my "twisty" one handed for a lot of operations. I am specifically talking about a Fenix E01 v1 which I think should be characterized as a twisty. I find it easier to use much of the time than my larger clicky (though much of that is because the larger clicky is longer and does not fit into the palm of one hand). I grab the E01 much like holding a shave brush when face lathering and give a downward squeeze. That completes the circuit to get a brief flood of light while looking inside a drawer, cabinet, box, closet, etc. I find that using this method to get 1 or 2 seconds of illumination to be easier to use than a tail click or slider on/off flashlight. The negative side effect is that sometimes the flashlight will turn on inside my pocket if I get twist spring loaded too close to ON.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I basically agree with your last couple of posts. Except for the small point that I use my "twisty" one handed for a lot of operations. I am specifically talking about a Fenix E01 v1 which I think should be characterized as a twisty. I find it easier to use much of the time than my larger clicky (though much of that is because the larger clicky is longer and does not fit into the palm of one hand). I grab the E01 much like holding a shave brush when face lathering and give a downward squeeze. That completes the circuit to get a brief flood of light while looking inside a drawer, cabinet, box, closet, etc. I find that using this method to get 1 or 2 seconds of illumination to be easier to use than a tail click or slider on/off flashlight. The negative side effect is that sometimes the flashlight will turn on inside my pocket if I get twist spring loaded too close to ON.

Yes, I have been caught out by the embarrassing "glow in the dark genitals" look in the past too. Having strangers pointing at your crotch, asking if your trousers are meant to be doing that, is rather disconcerting.

I carried a Nitecore Tube on my keys for some time, and that could be prone to the accidental on, until the switch boot wears, and doesn't want to come on at all. I have actually put a twisty back on my keys as a back up light now, but still prefer to use a clicky.

Top Bottom