What's new

Your Dream Straight Razor

Wait, why can’t you shave with a straight edge?

Because I haven't taken the time to learn. I bought a Gold Dollar that was properly honed and sharpened from a member of one of the shaving forums I frequent. I used it twice and at the time just didn't have the patience to keep at it. I'll probably pick it up again and work on learning how to use it properly. Until then, I accept that I can't shave with a straight edge.

Because I haven't taken the time to learn. I bought a Gold Dollar that was properly honed and sharpened from a member of one of the shaving forums I frequent. I used it twice and at the time just didn't have the patience to keep at it. I'll probably pick it up again and work on learning how to use it properly. Until then, I accept that I can't shave with a straight edge.
Ah. I would encourage you to try it again. If you are on this forum you likely at least already wet shave and likely with a safety razor. This means you are already 90% of the way there.

I think the biggest problem for folks starting out with a straight is that they are so concerned about slicing their face off. So they end up holding the spine of the razor too far out from their face. Then they try to shave with it and the cutting edge is not slicing the hairs off, but rather ripping them off making for a horrible experience. Also you do not need a lot of pressure. Even less pressure than a safety razor.

When a razor is honed, it is laid flat on the stone which means the cutting angle is very steep (flat against the cutting surface). After lathering your face:
  1. Stretch your face/skin as needed
  2. Lay the razor flat against your skin
  3. Tilt the spine of the razor a few degrees (~⅛ inch) away from your face. The flatter the razor is against your face the less likely it is to cut you and result in a smoother shave.
  4. Short strokes at first until you get used to it. And just shave the sides of your face the first few times. You will quickly get used to handling the razor and because it is so smooth, you will want to shave other parts of your face in no time.
Given the quarantine life we all live right now, I'm confident you have the time to try it again with the advice above. Maybe others have some other tips. Hope that helps.

Ah. I would encourage you to try it again. If you are on this forum you likely at least already wet shave and likely with a safety razor. This means you are already 90% of the way there.

I think the biggest problem for folks starting out with a straight is that they are so concerned about slicing their face off. So they end up holding the spine of the razor too far out from their face. Then they try to shave with it and the cutting edge is not slicing the hairs off, but rather ripping them off making for a horrible experience. Also you do not need a lot of pressure. Even less pressure than a safety razor.

When a razor is honed, it is laid flat on the stone which means the cutting angle is very steep (flat against the cutting surface). After lathering your face:
  1. Stretch your face/skin as needed
  2. Lay the razor flat against your skin
  3. Tilt the spine of the razor a few degrees (~⅛ inch) away from your face. The flatter the razor is against your face the less likely it is to cut you and result in a smoother shave.
  4. Short strokes at first until you get used to it. And just shave the sides of your face the first few times. You will quickly get used to handling the razor and because it is so smooth, you will want to shave other parts of your face in no time.
Given the quarantine life we all live right now, I'm confident you have the time to try it again with the advice above. Maybe others have some other tips. Hope that helps.

Thanks for this. Yes, I have been shaving with a double edge for a little over 4 years now. From the very first shave with a EJ DE89 clone I was hooked by the superior quality of the shave I got over carts, which I had been using since I was a teen. And my two shaves with a straight were actually pretty good. I didn't shave my entire face but just started with my cheeks and was happy with the results I got on that part of my face. I've just been too lazy to keep at it. Yes, I do have the time now to put towards it but I'm dealing with some other issues that have kept me from picking it back up. I appreciate your guidance and am heartened to know that I was approaching it the way you describe. That alone may be just the motivation I need to pull out the straight again. I've always found this site, and more to the point the people on this site, to be extremely helpful and you've proved that once again. For that I am tremendously grateful. Thanks man.

I should add that I personally don’t shave every day as I have a full beard and only clean up the lines once or twice a week. But before the beard, I would use Mt SR on Sunday evening. Then the rest of the week was my Merkur 34c DE or one of the many others I have with my stash of Super Iridium blades.

Nowadays an SR is a luxury and to really enjoy it you gotta put the time in.

In the end do what you enjoy. Be it carts, DE, SE, Shavette, or an SR. It’s all about YOU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was my retirement present to myself. Years later it is still my idea of the perfect razor. Tim Zowada was kind enough to let me have a free hand in the design and then his artistry brought it to life.
20160121_145934.jpg
20160121_150046.jpg
P9020033.JPG
P9020053.JPG

My dream straight would come with a pre-paid sharpening servant. I love shaving with a straight and hate/suck at sharpening/maintaining them. So, my dream would come with the servant. In the meantime I will soldier on with my Feather AC SS - no servant needed. ;-)

Top Bottom