What's new

Your current TOP 5 DE's?

@Dave in KY, one last post about the Variant I made back in February:

Shaves are still going great for February! I have chosen an excellent setup that is really working well for me this month. I find so far that the Variant on setting 3.5 & 4 works best for me!

Guys, if you are on the fence about getting a Parker Variant, let me enable you to go ahead & get one!

Do you value smoothness while shaving?
Do you like a hefty quality feel of a razor?
Do you have bigger hands & find a longer handle more comfortable?
Do you like the option of adjusting without taking the blade out?
Do you like audible feedback when shaving those whiskers off?
Do you like a company that has addressed QC issues & stands behind their product & has a reputable American distributor should any customer service be needed?

If you answered yes to any or all of those questions then this is the razor for you!

I find that as much as I love an aggressive razor, my favorites list is full of smoothies.

1. Timeless Bronze (for daily shaves with minimal stubble)

2. RR Game Changer: just came last week. Almost as smooth as the Timeless Bronze, can take down a lot more hair per pass.

3. Rockwell 6s, plate 3: a favorite smoothie. Not as pretty as the first two. But I never get a bad shave when I use it.

4. Feather AS-D2: my first pricey razor. Requires attention to keep the right angle. Never irritates.

5. Mergress. I use this one when I haven’t shaved in a while. I have a Rex Ambassador on order so the Mergress is likely to move down this list.

Currently a work in Progress, but:

1) Paradigm Ti II
2) Paradigm 17-4
3) Karve CB in any plate mild to wild
4) Timeless SS 0.95 and 0.68 SB or SCL
5) Blackbird Polished SB

Honorable mention - Charcoal Goods Lvl-1 (tough call for #5)

I enjoy having 2 different levels, mild and efficient, daily shavers and 2-3 day growth razors.

@Dave in KY Dave hope you enjoy the Parker Variant, i know you didn't find the Rex to your liking.

I think its a fantastic razor and enjoy using it more than the Rockwell 6C, in fairness to the Rockwell i got it recently and haven't given it a good go yet.

@Dave in KY Dave hope you enjoy the Parker Variant, i know you didn't find the Rex to your liking.

I think its a fantastic razor and enjoy using it more than the Rockwell 6C, in fairness to the Rockwell i got it recently and haven't given it a good go yet.
Thanks, have it on deck for a shave after lunch and shortened work day.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine change but I'll give it a shot just for fun if you promise to not hold me to it.
  • Fatip Mk1 Grande
  • ATT S2
  • 2013 R41
  • My best Old Type on the handle of a Fat Handled Tech
  • Blackland Blackbird (maybe)
These are in no particular order. Several others could be on the list in the 5th position, including the SLOC and the SS Stealth Slant and maybe the PBOCS. It's all very fluid. I like the other Fatips, too, but the Mk1 is definitely my favorite Fatip.

My Blackland is closed comb. I'd probably like the OC more, but I've not tried it, so I'm guessing.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rockwell 6s/c - predicable great shave every time
Fatboy - because it's a Fatboy
Slim - because it's a skinny Fatboy
EJ89 - my first DE
English Gillette Tech - really tied with the EJ

My current top 5

Eclipse Red Ring
Fatboy
Gillette New LC
Ikon X3
And although it is an SE my Mongoose would squeeze in at 3
(if an SE doesn’t count, a Gillette old type OC, would have to be on the list).

My current top 5 DE's in order are:

WR1-OC .74mm Gap
1938 Eclipse Model W
Ti WR1-DC .61mm Gap WRH7 Handle
Rockwell 6S
Blackbird Closed Comb 85mm

Photo or link to any more about your Chinese love interest?
Hi,
I bought the razor from a dollar-like shop. Looks like de89 geometry, but is didn't. After a three pass shave I enjoy 10-12 h a true BBS! This razor is the emperor for the ATG pass. No redness, no nothing, just absolutely zero sting from my after shaves! No link to share, sorry.
Cheers

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks , I'll compare it with others in box o' heads. Saves you a lot of dough not having to buy a Wolfman eh!
Hi,
I bought the razor from a dollar-like shop. Looks like de89 geometry, but is didn't. After a three pass shave I enjoy 10-12 h a true BBS! This razor is the emperor for the ATG pass. No redness, no nothing, just absolutely zero sting from my after shaves! No link to share, sorry.
Cheers

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I only have four: I would probably put my ATT R2 at the top with the Timeless .95 a very close second. Then would be the Rockwell 6s and close behind would be my Ikon B1 Standard. The Standard could be higher. It is easy to place and very aggressive and it probably gets the closest of the four with the fewest strokes, but after five or six days in a row I need a break. It also bites if you do something wrong. You need to be on your game. The razors I have had and sold or traded are the Oristo, Muhle R41, Merkur 34C, and a few vintage gilettes (new and old types, and a goodwill).

I am big fan of the Ikon Standard. I used their first model for about 8 years. It never cut me and I didn't realize it was considered aggressive until I read it. For me, that makes it awesome, because there is no denying it will give you a BBS every time and it gave me hardly any irritation. I usually shave every other day, so I get your point too.

1) RazoRock GC 84
2) Timeless Bronze 38 SB
3) Karve (B/C/D)
4) Timeless SS 68 OC
5) Blackbird SB

6) Rockwell 6C R4
7) Muhle R41

Top Bottom