What's new

Your current TOP 5 DE's?

In No particlar order

RR GC .84
Maggard V3
Weber Polished Head
Gillette Long Tooth NEW
Gillette Slim adjustable

Merkur Progress - can’t be beat, still the greatest and most versatile razor ever made, 65 years after initial production. I can virtually wave it in the vicinity of my face and be left with no stubble at all.

Rockwell 6S - indestructible, with easy shaves every time, regardless of blade. Makes shaving so consistently foolproof it’s almost boring.

Gillette Fatboy - looks great, shaves decently... although it’s just an above-average performer, it’s a joy to use and admire.

Merkur 33c - about the best value you can get in shaving. Performs far better than its price would suggest (and for me, outperforms the DE89 by a huge margin). My go-to travel razor. Preferred over the 34c, because you can mix and match handles.

Gillette Rocket - the best-shaving vintage Gillette I’ve used. But I’d still prefer to use the Progress or 6S, or admire the Fatboy, so it gets less use than it deserves.

Gibbs adjustable - Haven't had it that long but it's rocketed straight to #1
Parker Variant - A slight improvement over the Progress and a bargain at its price
Merkur Progress - Always gives very close comfortable shaves
Merkur Futur - Better than the Progress in a few ways. If I had a mustache, it would rank higher.
Timeless Ti .68 - Very smooth razor. Wish it was adjustable and I could turn it down just a little though.

Almost everyone mentioned the GC .84. I'm slightly tempted but I've figured out by now that what most people like probably has a little more blade exposure than my neck likes. Milder razors like the 34c, DE89, Tech, etc. tend to leave me with some stubble. It's hard to find razors that have just the right balance of comfort and closeness for me. I like adjustables because I can find that perfect setting.

Reactions: SPR
Parker Variant - A slight improvement over the Progress and a bargain at its price
Merkur Futur - Better than the Progress in a few ways. If I had a mustache, it would rank higher.
Timeless Ti .68 - Very smooth razor. Wish it was adjustable and I could turn it down just a little though.

Almost everyone mentioned the GC .84. I'm slightly tempted but I've figured out by now that what most people like probably has a little more blade exposure than my neck likes. Milder razors like the 34c, DE89, Tech, etc. tend to leave me with some stubble. It's hard to find razors that have just the right balance of comfort and closeness for me. I like adjustables because I can find that perfect setting.

Another Merkur Progress owner here. It was actually the first DE razor I bought 7 years ago when I switched from carts & canned shave gel. If you value smoothness, and aren't necessarily looking for the lowest profile shave head, try the Rockwell 6S if you can. YMMV and all that, but in the 2 years I've owned it, I have yet to find a razor for me that combines the smoothness + "situational efficiency"** that this does.

**just a fancy phrase for adjustability via the different plates

Another Merkur Progress owner here. It was actually the first DE razor I bought 7 years ago when I switched from carts & canned shave gel. If you value smoothness, and aren't necessarily looking for the lowest profile shave head, try the Rockwell 6S if you can. YMMV and all that, but in the 2 years I've owned it, I have yet to find a razor for me that combines the smoothness + "situational efficiency"** that this does.

**just a fancy phrase for adjustability via the different plates
I have thought about the Rockwell but bought an ATT long before the Rockwell came out. It seems my perfect shave always comes in between those pre-set values you get with interchangeable plates. Honestly I can't imagine any razor being more smooth and efficient than the Gibbs so I'm happy with that for now.

RR Game Changer 0.84
Rockwell 6 S (plate #4)
EJ DE 89 (on Maggard MR5 handle)
Barbaros TR-2
Timeless SS 0.68 (with a single blade shim)

Well, I agree wholeheartedly with your “best of the best”. My WR2 1.15 SB is the A player in my lineup, as well. The next four are a little harder to rank...

1) Wolfman WR2 1.15
2) through 5), in no particular order:
Karve SS C/D
RR GC84
Blackland Blackbird
Timeless SS .68/.95

Honorable mention: Gillette NEW SC

I’m curious about where you rank the H&S N75. Wasn’t that just recently your top razor or one one of them based on your rave review?

Sometimes it changes with current rotation but for now:
1)bbs-1
2)wr2 ti sb 1.25
3)wr2 SS Sb 1.35
4) wr2 SS sb 1.25
5) CG lv 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only got five (5) - so... in order of acquisition:

34C HD
GC .84-P SB
Timeless SS SB (Ti .68mm base plate)
ATT R1 SB
Gillette Heritage

I’m curious about where you rank the H&S N75. Wasn’t that just recently your top razor or one one of them based on your rave review?

If I still had it, it would be right there in that 2-5 group, but when I bought the Wolf and the Bird, I had to cut one loose to replace some funds. It was a super tough decision....almost an eenie meenie miney mo situation. The H&S had the most resale value, was part of it. I do miss it....it’s an awesome razor.

Gillette New; Parker Variant; E2FatBoy; No Date Code SuperSpeed; Fat Handle Tech. Order depends on which one I used last. Red tip could have made the list but if the limit is five there has to be a cut.

For those who have the newer charcoal goods SS lvl two how does it compare to the Game changer .84? Trying to figure out if I’m missing something and should buy a .84oc or not

$_57.jpeg.jpg
$_32.jpeg.jpg

The 37C might be just your ticket.

Top Bottom