What's new

Your current TOP 5 DE's?

I just got one of the new Blackland Tradere open combs. That puts me at four DE and 2 SE. Others are CG level 2 brass sb, Timeless .95 oc, ATT R2. The two se are ATT SE2, and Asylum RX.

After using numerous razors since getting involved in this insane hobby in 2014, the razor that beats them all (for me) is the Merkur Progress, short handle. In fact, I just got myself a second one.
I totally agree, in fact I have the same experience as you. Have a lot of different vintage razors and some new ones. Bought the short handle Progress a couple of months ago and it is hands down the best of them all.
Way better than my previous nr one, the Rockwell 6s.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This thread is overwhelming to a chap with one razor considering a second. I may not be a good B&B candidate.
On the contrary ... you’re the perfect candidate, and just our ‘type.’
1603928652716.gif

Last edited:
1. Rockwell 6S - My go to almost daily
2. Merkur Progress
3. 1956 Red Tip

These are my 3 main razors.

I have a bunch of others that I rarely use (Weishi, Rockwell 2C, Lord L6, Wilkinson Sword and more than a few older Gillette Old, New and Techs).

DE's most used ...
  • Charcoal Goods Level 2 Brass
  • Timeless Ti68 SB
  • Tatara Masamune
  • 1955 Gillette Diplomat
  • Tied in a once in a blue moon rotation: Fatip Lo Storto / Rockwell 6C / Feather Popular
Why do I suddenly feel like I should try a Progress?

I've shaved with a ton of razors and in the past few years finally settled into a few "bests".

1. Barbaros TR-1 (At times I felt others were better but always come back to it and has continued to be a favorite. If I had to choose one razor the rest of my life, this would be it). I bought on launch, sold and bought again.
2. Merkur Progress with a Eskimo handle upgrade (bought in 2015).
3. Above the Time Windsor set. Nice to be able to customize a shave with the comfort/rigidity of a 3 piece.
4. PAA Ascension Copper and Steel version. I feel like the cooper is slightly smoother,.while the steel is more efficient but might be literally splitting hairs.
5. Gillette SC New, it's not "new now", but if it was all I had, I would be happy.

Honerable mention would be my RR .84. I do like that razor but just doesn't quite make the cut. It has a similar geometry to other razors I have while being slightly less efficient/harsher than others that I have.

In no particular order, these get the most use and give the most enjoyment so far.

Rex Ambassador
Gillette Fatboy
Gillette New Improved
Gillette New Deluxe
Gillette New RFB #88

Paradigm 2020 Diamondback
Timeless Ti .68 SB/.95 SB (two baseplates)
Rockwell 6S
RR Game Changer .68 SB/.95 SB
Karve Brass SB (original with plates AA through F)

Honorable mention: Blackland Blackbird SB

No particular order:

-Timeless .95 OC
-ATT Windsor H1
-Carbon ++
-Phoenix Ascension Twist
w/ Ikon OSS Handle
-RR Mamba 70
(for lazy light shave days)

Top Bottom