What's new

Your coffee/tea ambitions for 2014?

Tired of the high cost of Nespresso pods in comparison to a pound of coffee. Looking to finally splurge on a espresso maker. So far, the Breville BES920 has caught my eye.

Not intending to buy anymore "coffee gadget" :)
Simply trying to go through the locally available different coffee beans and come up with a short list of fav's.

So far, I have tried:

The Brazil Santos from Highlandercoffee is great. its Columbian Supremo is good too but I prefer the Brazil.
I kinda like the humble boncafe "columbian" too.
There are a couple of cheap roasted beans in a local wet-market - so far I have tried one - not too bad. Going back for the others next week.

When I first started roasting my goal was to become just half as good as the local specialty roasting house here in town.....

My last couple of batches show me that I have surpassed this goal and am on my way to equaling what they produce for fresh roasted coffee.

NOW.....

My goal is to understand more of what is going on inside the roast cycle and try to bring out the subtle flavors and aromas that I know are there (but hiding from me at present).

If I can wheel my roaster outside, roast 4 half pound batches and have ALL of them knock my sox off I will feel that I have accomplished all I can within the world of coffee.

I've been able to blend and brew great coffee for several decades now but the "creation" (roasting part) is just too new to me to understand completely.

I think I can get there with the roaster I have. I wish it had more oomph..... as it seems the electric heating elements are just a tad too under powered to move the temp up dramatically. I do NOT want to buy another roaster as I will never roast more than 1-2 lbs a week for my own consumption but I do need to "dial in this puppy" so that I can come up with spectacular coffee and be able to repeat it again and again.

proxy.php

Like to buy a nice espresso machine. So many choices. Sigh.

There ARE a LOT of options/choices but give us a hint where you want to go with your espresso making and I am sure you will hear something that will set you on the right path.

Do you currently have an espresso machine? and if so what are you using and what about it do you want to improve?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think I can get there with the roaster I have. I wish it had more oomph..... as it seems the electric heating elements are just a tad too under powered to move the temp up dramatically. I do NOT want to buy another roaster as I will never roast more than 1-2 lbs a week for my own consumption but I do need to "dial in this puppy" so that I can come up with spectacular coffee and be able to repeat it again and again.
Just send the excess my way.

There ARE a LOT of options/choices but give us a hint where you want to go with your espresso making and I am sure you will hear something that will set you on the right path.

Do you currently have an espresso machine? and if so what are you using and what about it do you want to improve?

I don't have one now but was impressed with the Breville in this thread. However my wife did bring up a good point and asked if it made coffee. I said noooo....but it makes excellent cappuccino and lattes. So I got to thinking that would be an awesome feature to have if it had a slow brew method made possible via the espresso machine.
Having said that dropping that kind of coin on that machine I'd hope it will have longevity and if it has any kinks customer service is top notch. Kinda pricey.

Last edited:
I don't have one now but was impressed with the Breville in this thread. However my wife did bring up a good point and asked if it made coffee. I said noooo....but it makes excellent cappuccino and lattes. So I got to thinking that would be an awesome feature to have if it had a slow brew method made possible via the espresso machine.
Having said that dropping that kind of coin on that machine I'd hope it will have longevity and if it has any kinks customer service is top notch. Kinda pricey.

You will find that an espresso machine will make killer coffee. Just use a larger (coffee sized) cup and frothed or heated milk and pour-over coffee roasted beans (not espresso blend beans).

I find that most of the time I make coffee with my espresso machine as my wife does not enjoy straight espressos but loves sweet milk/coffee drinks.

I use the double portafilter and pull into two cups (hers and mine). I don't froth the milk but "heat it" in the microwave then place the hot milk filled cups under the 2 spouts and an oz of coffee goes into each. I then top them off with the hot water out of the espresso spigot. This is called an americano and is some of the best tasting coffee around.

I will get booed when everyone reads I use the microwave to warm the milk instead of the frothing wand but the wife does not like the consistency of the frothed milk so I do it differently for her and I don't mind straight (un-frothed) milk in my drinks.

I will be making microwaved milk americanos this morning when the wife wakes up using Costa Rican Tarazu beans roasted to just city (mild roast).

No booing here on nuking milk. Ah yes the Americano. Forgot that is one way to make coffee. Excellent tip and food for thought. Thanks.

I too have looked at Breville. They get a bad rap on the espresso forums. The price point is attractive though. If I went semi-auto today I'd probably get a Crossland CC1.

I too have looked at Breville. They get a bad rap on the espresso forums. The price point is attractive though. If I went semi-auto today I'd probably get a Crossland CC1.

They get a bad wrap because they are a general home appliance company. They make toasters and other kitchen appliances as well as espresso machines and their machines have a fair amount of plastic, not that this in and of itself is a bad thing, it seems that the "coffee snobs" just prefer looking at a stainless steel case when they are brewing. To me a plastic and stainless case should "taste" the same :001_smile

I contemplated a Breville dual boiler (BES900XL) for a while and from what I could find out it was an acceptable home espresso machine.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/dual-boiler-espresso.html

THEN.... I fell into the "does not work - fix me" Pasquini for a bargain basement price so the decision was pretty simple for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom