What's new

Your choice for travel

I’ll second the Proraso recommendation. No lanolin. Screw cap. But the tubes are 150ml so there’s the travel kit mentioned or you could use another small container.
If it's the Proraso green, then swap that out for a tube of CO Bigelow, which I'm pretty sure is the same stuff. Comes in at 1.7 oz small tube.

If you fancy the red (blue or white), yeah, no small tube to my knowledge. [emoji3525]

Here’s my latest purchase:

View attachment 1336323-
A 60 g. container of TOBS. While Jermyn Street wouldn’t be my first choice, it’s good enough for me to travel with. I’ll reuse the container - it feels practically indestructible - and fill it with a cream or soap I’ll like better. Also, my Wee Scot is the perfect size for loading from the container.
Years ago I bought a TOBS Traditional soap in a container that was identical to yours other than the color and description. It was the worst soap I have ever owned and found its way to the shower rather quickly. The container is still used years later.

I started with several slices of a Tabac stick that after a few uses molded to the container. When it got low, more slice(s) of the Tabac stick or the remnants from a Tabac puck went in.

I find the container easier to use than the small Haslinger metal container, but I suspect a Haslinger puck would easily work. If it is too tall, just slice it to half height and when the soap goes down, add the other slice.

It’s funny that there are many soaps that I would not purchase again, but none that went right into the shower like the TOBS but in the end based on the number of uses from the container it was not a purchase that I regret.

My advice s to not suffer through a bad soap, replace the soap before your first trip and that will eliminate one of the variables we see when traveling.

Years ago I bought a TOBS Traditional soap in a container that was identical to yours other than the color and description. It was the worst soap I have ever owned and found its way to the shower rather quickly. The container is still used years later.

I started with several slices of a Tabac stick that after a few uses molded to the container. When it got low, more slice(s) of the Tabac stick or the remnants from a Tabac puck went in.

I find the container easier to use than the small Haslinger metal container, but I suspect a Haslinger puck would easily work. If it is too tall, just slice it to half height and when the soap goes down, add the other slice.

It’s funny that there are many soaps that I would not purchase again, but none that went right into the shower like the TOBS but in the end based on the number of uses from the container it was not a purchase that I regret.

My advice s to not suffer through a bad soap, replace the soap before your first trip and that will eliminate one of the variables we see when traveling.
I'm surprised TOBS was so bad for you. I love my TOBS puck and just bought 5 more replacements pucks. I get lots of great lather that's slick and cushiony.

For the curious, just before I shower, I bloom my puck by placing it face down in my (Captain's Choice Seaworthy) shaving bowl, which I fill up with just enough water to wet only the face of the puck. I then dump out the bloom water (into an empty yogurt cup), hold the puck in one hand, and swirl my presoaked (and squeezed) badger brush across the puck face for about 1 minute. Next, I scoop all the leftover protolather into my shave bowl and whip it with my brush. I slowly add the bloom water into my bowl until I reach the consistency of lather I prefer.
5D83D572-893B-46BC-BBD5-D7C00A57D753.jpeg

So awesome to see all the feedback. I decided that I am going to go with the Tabac shave stick. I love that scent. Should lather up well with my T3 brush.

I used to use Kiehl’s Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream - it meets 2 criteria - 75ml container and no lanolin. It does have a flip top, but in a million miles of flying I can’t remember a spill. Pacific Shaving Co. cream comes in a 100ml tube, also is lanolin free and does have a flip top. I haven’t used it traveling.

Currently for traveling I just use a soap stick because it means one less item to stick into my 1 quart liquids bag.
I've found Pacific Shaving Co. cream in the 3 oz. or 89 ml size. That's good for travel too. What I like about Cremo for travel, though it comes in a 4 oz. tube which is slightly larger than ideal, is that it is easy to use without a brush. The PSC cream without a brush was a bit messy, and very slippery.

I use a shave stick while traveling, as it eliminates the need to bring a bowl to mix and lather the cream.

I've been stocking up with Cremo Shave Sticks I've been finding at TJ Maxx. Picked one up yesterday for $2.99. It's slick, lathers wonderfully and is TSA compliant.

I am traveling right now. I am using an old tube of Occitane shave soap (original formula), a small Jagger badger travel brush, and a 34c. I put a small dab of soap in my hand and create a nice lather. It is working well.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
When I traveled with creams I always filled a couple of small sample tubs/pots with Castle Forbes. You don't need much CF, so I could go a very long time with those two.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Second for C.O. Bigelow, and meets your criteria. But I switched from that to a La Toja stick, FWIW. This stuff is actually Proraso, they just put it in that tube for Bigelow.

proxy.php

Reactions: bjm
Any of the Arko creams are good for travel since they are inexpensive and I don't mind losing them. I prefer the 'Cool' scented one. CO Bigelow is also nice depending on the weather where you are headed.

C.O. Bigelow 1.7oz/48g tube would be my first choice.

I've found these work great if you have access to a 3D printer...

5c11e9063dcca1781fde5388fe6bd4cc_preview_featured.jpg

If you have access to a Walgreens (free shipping to a local store)...

dove.jpg
Just transfer the contents of the Dove to another container and fill with your preferred shaving soap or cream.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Samplers Re a great travel option although do not meet the OP’s criterion of a screw cap, They don’t really need it because the amount is small, 2-4 shaves each and if you need to toss one before it’s used up, it isn’t a big deal. And you can have a choice every day. Same for fragrances.

3A2D3357-09CC-400B-8D22-E610CF938E30.jpeg
4B7EAA24-DB08-49F4-AE7A-1019508F0D75.jpeg

Top Bottom