What's new

Your choice for a walking/light trail shoe.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What's your recommendation for a walking/light trail shoe? Notice I didn't say "boot". For years I've worn variations of the New Balance 900 series, but the last few pair have suffered premature sole separations and I'm tired of gluing them back on. Not wanting an aggressive lug sole, tracks too much dirt and debris inside. Water resistance is a plus. I thought of posting in the Hab, but didn't want the responses to be too Metro, if you know what I mean. These would be used for all around casual outdoor activities wear, not heavy hiking.

That’s troubling to hear. I switched from the Rockport walking shoe to the New Balance 928 for the same reason. I was tired of gluing the soles back on. I sure hate to hear that my New Balance shoes may have the same issue.

Give Vibram Five Fingers a try? I use these almost exclusively, when I don't need a boot. This is a lighter pair. I have a walking pair which has more warmth and padding via a wool liner-great shoes for building up the strength of your feet/arches, and improving proprioception....and through strengthening arches, these shoes cured my plantar fasciitis.

they’re not much for resisting water, but they make a water sports shoe in the line if that interest you.
0CC37147-D407-488A-B5CF-642504142215.jpeg

Merrell have always been very comfortable for me.

Merrell Maipo are one of my favourites for walking on wet ground. They're designed for watersports ie no socks & tape your feet up if they rub. It's so much easier just to splash straight through puddles and bogs without having to worry about getting your feet wet.

This is the modern version of traditional Scottish highland footwear: cuarans. Cuarans were a simple strip of cow hide wrapped around the foot with holes punched in the skin to let water drain out. If you've got boggy ground & rivers to cross they're perfect.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Funny, I dug out an old pair of Rockports to use until I buy something else. Looking at Merrels on Amazon, the reviews are not to encouraging in regards to current build quality.

Do they have a rigid shank? I have Plantar Fasciitis and a solid shank is a must.
Having the same issue from time to time. I have used several of the meindl walking shoes and meindl and lowa hiking shoes in the mid version.
Note lowa zephyr wonderful shoe but lousy grip on wet stone
Meindl shoes in the light version can pass for a nice brown casual shoe!

More rigidity go for mil spec camp boots jungle boots or desert boots.

Especially when you have pain issues and need relief and be able to walk. give hoka a try those fat soles give a relief. And they have a outdoor line the compound of the soles is grippy and lasts.

There are also insoles from crocs which give much relief in harder soled shoes.

Having the same issue from time to time. I have used several of the meindl walking shoes and meindl and lowa hiking shoes in the mid version.
Note lowa zephyr wonderful shoe but lousy grip on wet stone
Meindl shoes in the light version can pass for a nice brown casual shoe!

More rigidity go for mil spec camp boots jungle boots or desert boots.

Especially when you have pain issues and need relief and be able to walk. give hoka a try those fat soles give a relief. And they have a outdoor line the compound of the soles is grippy and lasts.

There are also insoles from crocs which give much relief in harder soled shoes.
I failed to mention that I wear these to work in an office environment and I use orthotics that the Pediatrist sold me. I also have had plantar fasciitis release surgery on one foot that did not respond to the physical therapy.

I failed to mention that I wear these to work in an office environment and I use orthotics that the Pediatrist sold me. I also have had plantar fasciitis release surgery on one foot that did not respond to the physical therapy.
Makes stuff more complicated orthotics will not fit in every shoe depending the orthotics means lots of fitting and you want longevity
I have a pair of meindl klosters which are roomy enough and they can be resoled if needed but damping is not as much and they are heavy
It is realy something you have to try.

And these are hoka tor (enough predecessors in plain black) I use which is sooooo comfy
But depending dress code (our Dutch ministers walk around in jeans all the time) that works or not and not 100% sure regarding orthotics I think you have 75% chance

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Funny, I dug out an old pair of Rockports to use until I buy something else. Looking at Merrels on Amazon, the reviews are not to encouraging in regards to current build quality.
I am basing my Merrell recommendation on shoes owned over many years. Sadly, when I have replaced much loved products with the same brand, the new items are often far inferior to those they are replacing. My old Dr. Marten boots were fantastic quality, made in England, still going strong after 30 years. Now they are poor quality and made in the far East. I replaced my Barbour jacket, shoes, shirts etc. and was disappointed. The list goes on from foot wear to clothing to food and everything else in between. It is as though companies rely on past reputation to sustain sales while simultaneously cost cutting and hoping nobody will notice while slowly driving away customers and killing the brand in the name of profit. Maybe I am getting to cynical in my old age.

And these are hoka tor (enough predecessors in plain black) I use which is sooooo comfy
But depending dress code (our Dutch ministers walk around in jeans all the time) that works or not and not 100% sure regarding orthotics I think you have 75% chance
I appreciate your recommendations, but I’m looking more for a walking shoe than a boot. It has to be presentable in an office environment and even by today’s relaxed standards, I don’t see the hiking boots fitting that requirement. I read the article you linked and I’m puzzled by the comment, “even without a shank”. Do these not have a ridged shank? I would think that would be a requirement for a hiking boot. At any rate, what I’m looking for is something more like the Rockwell and New Balance walkers.

I appreciate your recommendations, but I’m looking more for a walking shoe than a boot. It has to be presentable in an office environment and even by today’s relaxed standards, I don’t see the hiking boots fitting that requirement. I read the article you linked and I’m puzzled by the comment, “even without a shank”. Do these not have a ridged shank? I would think that would be a requirement for a hiking boot. At any rate, what I’m looking for is something more like the Rockwell and New Balance walkers.
Die to the sole thickness they get more stiff so no shank needed
And they have all black low and mid models.
My black meindl jungles seem to have a shank stiff as a board

I'm gonna go a bit against other suggestions and recommend to you La Sportiva Akyra. I have them myself and I find them superb.
They are quite comfortable, soft, yet supportive and protective and very light. They are trail runners intended for long distances. They also fit well wide feet contrary to other LaSpo shoes. The rubber is super grippy in every condition, great traction, and the lacing is solid.

I have around 300km on mine and they are pretty much still new, except for normal sole wear.

Top Bottom