What's new

Your Budget brushes

i have two brushes and can recommend them both... My "better" brush is an Omega 636 silver tip... dense and soft. I love using it.. for travel i use a Yaqi synthetic... i paid mid teens for it as I recall and it also is fantastic... especially at that price. The Omega is avail on amazon too!

I pulled the trigger on their silvertip. It seemed a steal at $46 and I was able to use that amazon gift card so I got it for free. Let’s hope it’s quality .

This is the one I got last year for about $30 on sale. I've been very happy with it, soft and dense, no scritch at all. I haven't tried the 24mm versions but if they're like mine, you should be very happy.

Amazon.com : West Coast Shaving 100% Silvertip Quality Shaving Brush with Dense Knot. (Tortoise-Torch) : Beauty - https://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Shaving-Silvertip-Tortoise-Torch/dp/B06XWVSZMR/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1F1I1WUGX461A&keywords=west%2Bcoast%2Bshaving&qid=1577405276&sprefix=west%2Bcoas%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-11&th=1

I have several "budget" silvertips. Delong, West Coast Shaving, Yaqi, DS Cosmetic. I'm pleased with them all but they pale in comparison to Shavemac.

don't look at cheap. look for quality. even if you buy a $300 brush...averages less than a dollar a day and it will last you years.

i went into this habit looking for "cheaper" brushes and in hindsight understood why they were lower in cost.

i think more budget friendly brushes that are good quality include stirling and razorock. in comparison, i was not impressed with wcs brushes nor their customer service regarding their house brand brushes. i have bought multiple brushes from stirling and razorock for myself and as for gifts. this month i got a white mountain badger from stirling for $50 plus and silvertip badger from razorock for $20 plus. both brands are pretty dense and good quality in my opinion...giving you bang for the buck.

i haven't tried some of those other brands to give my opinion besides wcs.

Determine what your budget is, then look at BST brushes, you can get a high quality brushes for the price of a cheap $40 - $80 silvertip. It will take time, but you will be rewarded.

On second thought, disregard the above advice. Buy a new cheap brush & leave the BST high-end brushes for me! LOL!!!

don't look at cheap. look for quality. even if you buy a $300 brush...averages less than a dollar a day and it will last you years.

i went into this habit looking for "cheaper" brushes and in hindsight understood why they were lower in cost.

i think more budget friendly brushes that are good quality include stirling and razorock. in comparison, i was not impressed with wcs brushes nor their customer service regarding their house brand brushes. i have bought multiple brushes from stirling and razorock for myself and as for gifts. this month i got a white mountain badger from stirling for $50 plus and silvertip badger from razorock for $20 plus. both brands are pretty dense and good quality in my opinion...giving you bang for the buck.

i haven't tried some of those other brands to give my opinion besides wcs.
What’s wrong with WCS brushes ?

What’s wrong with WCS brushes ?
I wasn't trying to say anything is wrong with WCS brushes. Or any other budget-friendly brushes, for that matter. I'm sorry if I came across that way. I have several budget-friendly brushes & they are fine. Compared to higher-end brushes there is a difference. It is a "you get what you pay for" in brushes. That said, there are many brush makers that produce a well made brush with a good amount of density that provides nice results. But if you aren't wanting to spend hundreds of dollars, perusing the BST for a used high-end brush can result in getting a substantial discount on said high-end brush.

You cant beat Omega for a cheap but good brush. If you dont mind a small brush, you can pick up a good Omega for around $10.
Parker has some nice, cheap, small brushes too. You can get those with a stand for less than $20.
You could get the Burma Shave brush too. They make a small boar that I think is around $7. Its not much of a brush but its a brush.
Theres also various options in synthetics that are very affordable, less than $30 usually.

I wasn't trying to say anything is wrong with WCS brushes. Or any other budget-friendly brushes, for that matter. I'm sorry if I came across that way. I have several budget-friendly brushes & they are fine. Compared to higher-end brushes there is a difference. It is a "you get what you pay for" in brushes. That said, there are many brush makers that produce a well made brush with a good amount of density that provides nice results. But if you aren't wanting to spend hundreds of dollars, perusing the BST for a used high-end brush can result in getting a substantial discount on said high-end brush.

He wasn’t talking to you. He was talking to the guy who said he wasn’t impressed with WCS’s house brand brushes. EverythingButt.

He wasn’t talking to you. He was talking to the guy who said he wasn’t impressed with WCS’s house brand brushes. EverythingButt.
Exactly correct. I was curious what they did not like about it. Luckily I am not fussy about brushes. Now, razors on the other hand...

Exactly correct. I was curious what they did not like about it. Luckily I am not fussy about brushes. Now, razors on the other hand...

There is no reason to think the WCS brush you bought will be anything other than a good quality brush that will serve you for years, and you got it for a fair price. Enjoy

The SOC 2-band is great.

with whipped Dog’s silvertips, if you want to face lather with one, talk to Larry about lowering the loft and what he recommends there. I bought a 22mm standard loft that was too floppy for my taste face lathering. My other whipped dogs set lower worked a treat.

To answer Jerseymike:

I bought one when it first came out. It shedded. I contacted wcs and I was basically told that’s what it does. I felt they did not stand up to their in-house products so I don’t buy their branded products anymore. I have no problems buying other things from wcs except their branded products.

In my opinion, their knots also do not have hair density compared to stirling or razorock brushes for basically the same ballpark price.

Happy new year

I pulled the trigger on their silvertip. It seemed a steal at $46 and I was able to use that amazon gift card so I got it for free. Let’s hope it’s quality .
I caught a few of their sales last month when the curiosity about badger brushes hit me. I have to say for my preferences, I really like their super badger 26mm over the Silvertip and the best badger from WCS.

In my opinion, their knots (WCS) also do not have hair density compared to stirling or razorock brushes for basically the same ballpark price.
I agree with your point on knot density. The best/pure badger and Silvertip I have from them do not have much or any backbone. Specifically, the best/pure grade badger brush I find to be disappointing because it is so floppy, practically lays down under the weight of the lather.

Recently bought my first badger, an Omega 626 silvertip, and love it. So soft and holds water like a bucket. No funky smell upon opening, but still cleaned it for break-in with a little Dawn soap & water rinse, then a small load of shave soap and let sit overnight. Handle is on the small side so if you prefer a large one I'd look elsewhere. Paid around $50.
1 5 20 sm.jpg

Top Bottom