What's new

Your Budget brushes

Hi,

I unfortunately dropped my shaving brush into my toilet and for sanitation reasons I can’t bring myself to re-using it. I had a Semogue Owners Club boar brush which is amazing , but I’d like to upgrade to a nice silvertip Badger brush. Do you guys have any budget brushes that you love ? I was looking at whipped dog. I also received an Amazon gift card that I’d like to use if I could , should your suggestion be found on that website.

I like my cheap Semogue boar brush. It's not very dense, but lathers well. I also picked up a Stirling synthetic for my wife and it is a good brush that won't break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a variety of brushes in my collection, but I have two that definitely fit the budget category. One is a 24 mm Boss synthetic from Turn N Shave. With the "chess piece" handle, this one set me back $10. The Boss knot is not my favorite synthetic, but it gets the job done. They are still available on the Turn N Shave Etsy web site.

The second budget brush was about $13. It is the Omega 10098 Pro boar brush. Once broken in this is an amazing lather machine. It is as soft as premium badger brushes costing more than ten times that much.

Hi,

I unfortunately dropped my shaving brush into my toilet and for sanitation reasons I can’t bring myself to re-using it. I had a Semogue Owners Club boar brush which is amazing , but I’d like to upgrade to a nice silvertip Badger brush. Do you guys have any budget brushes that you love ? I was looking at whipped dog. I also received an Amazon gift card that I’d like to use if I could , should your suggestion be found on that website.

Assuming we're looking for a silvertip badger. The bottom line is, a budget brush is just a knot and a handle, and non-name brand knots are supplied by mostly nameless Chinese shops, so whoever will put those two things together for you is making a budget brush. A properly made medium-sized silvertip knot should not be available for less than $25 and a handle can cost whatever it is worth to you. Whipped Dog is a place that can do this for you. I personally use Shave Forge. Maggards can do this too with their build-a-brush workshops and I'm certain there are others.

By the way, unless the toilet wasn't flushed or clean, I wouldn't worry about what might be in the bowl that would prevent you from using your brush after giving it a thorough cleaning. It's the same water that comes out of your taps.

Assuming we're looking for a silvertip badger. The bottom line is, a budget brush is just a knot and a handle, and non-name brand knots are supplied by mostly nameless Chinese shops, so whoever will put those two things together for you is making a budget brush. A properly made medium-sized silvertip knot should not be available for less than $25 and a handle can cost whatever it is worth to you. Whipped Dog is a place that can do this for you. I personally use Shave Forge. Maggards can do this too with their build-a-brush workshops and I'm certain there are others.

By the way, unless the toilet wasn't flushed or clean, I wouldn't worry about what might be in the bowl that would prevent you from using your brush after giving it a thorough cleaning. It's the same water that comes out of your taps.

It’s just the thought of waste going into that bowl and putting it on my face.

I appreciate the synthetic options but I wanted silvertip Badger in an effort to retain heat better than a boar brush.

I think some of the cheap badger brushes are horrible, probably not even badger.
Now if you want a good synthetic....there are tons.... inexpensive and goooood. Italian Barber, Maggards ....

On Amazon. ~$50 includes shipping.

It's a good brush and a very good value.

Yaqi R1818 Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush:

Hope this helps.
If that came in a different handle, that would be just about perfect.

I did see a west coast shaving brush for $45 on Amazon that I quite enjoyed. I just can not tell if it’s silvertip Badger or not.

What do you like about your Semogue brush and why would you want to "upgrade"? I read your comment about heat retention... and yes, if a badger brush is dense it should retain heat better than a boar brush (which would normally be less dense). To me, the characteristics of a brush are far more important that the sticker which mentions a hair grade.

Hi,

If you are looking for budget silvertip options (which is a bit ironic as Silvertips tend to be the highest grade of badger), look towards Yaqi. Yaqi silvertips are one of the softest badgers I tried and they perform well. They cost from 30-40 dollarydoos but you can get one for sale sometimes. They're available from WCS and Aliexpress but be wary of shipping if you buy it from China as it can delay and tracking sucks sometimes.

What do you like about your Semogue brush and why would you want to "upgrade"? I read your comment about heat retention... and yes, if a badger brush is dense it should retain heat better than a boar brush (which would normally be less dense). To me, the characteristics of a brush are far more important that the sticker which mentions a hair grade.
I like the handle and how it makes a lather pretty good no matter if it’s soap or cream. They also seem to lose minimal hairs.

Hi,

Dogs and cats often drink out of the toilet bowl with no ill effects. As long as you thoroughly wash the brush (Dawn dish detergent should work), using it is not going to be an issue. If you are still concerned, you can also soak the brush in vinegar or even isopropyl alcohol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
MS.30mm.Silver.New.Old.3-18.640.JPG

These are my two MS 30 mm silvertips. Very nice huge brushes. Very inexpensive. Here's the link to the eBay vendor. I've heard only good things about the other MS brushes, too.

Other good options in inexpensive brushes I own and thus know about are in the Stirling and Yaqi brands. Both are very good brush lines.

Avoid the very cheap badgers. You'd be better off cutting your money into small pieces and placing it where your SOC brush fell.

You could clean that brush with Barbicide and then with Ship-Shape and it would be fine by any standard. That's what I'd do. I've used these products with boars and with badgers and have a thread about it somewhere I think but I'm too lazy to find it at the moment. The brushes were not damaged in any way by the products or procedures I used.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So far I am happy with a recent silvertip I got from AliExpress. It's a Yaqi and it seems to be doing pretty well , though I've only used it once or twice.

but I really enjoy silvertips from whipped dog as well as the golden nib.

And I can also highly recommend the Meseto silvertip . I got mine in the Memphis handle and really enjoy it. That one I believe can be purchased on eBay.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The last couple of years, WCS has knocked about 50% off the price of their 26mm silvertip. I don't know if they will again this year, but I'd watch their site for the next couple of weeks.

The last couple of years, WCS has knocked about 50% off the price of their 26mm silvertip. I don't know if they will again this year, but I'd watch their site for the next couple of weeks.
I pulled the trigger on their silvertip. It seemed a steal at $46 and I was able to use that amazon gift card so I got it for free. Let’s hope it’s quality .

Top Bottom