What's new

Your best razor is....

Still the "1".
IMG_1967.jpeg

Probably a DE razor made by Gillette between 1930 and 1970, possibly an adjustable razor.

Sorry my answer is so vague, but the question itself was pretty broad. It's like being asked if I had a large harem filled with beautiful intelligent women, who is my favorite?

I am new to DE shaving and so far have tried the Feather Popular, Schick Krona, R89, and R41. I don't have many shaves on these but that Popular was way too mild for a close shave, the R41 was noticeably more aggressive and didn't provide me with a better shave then the R89. The Krona did decent but nowhere near as audible to me as the R89 which just felt smoother.

So for me it is the R89 at the moment. I would love to find a TTO that is identical in performace to the R89 with a decently long handle.

Reactions: Kix
Also forgot to add, the handle on the R89 is just a tad too short for my liking. I may pick up a Merkur 23c since everyone loves those to compare with my R89 and use the handle from it on whichever I prefer. That is assuming it will fit the R89.

Merkur 34C with Rapira Platinum Lux blades

My best shaving and most favored razor is a function of the Merkur 34C and Rapira Platinum Lux blades. I've tried many other blades in the Merkur with acceptable results, but none deliver smoother, closer, or more comfortable shaves than the above. I've used dozens of other blades available from private vendors and Amazon, but the one blade I return to and now use exclusively is Rapira Platinum Lux. With a beard like wire and sensitive skin, a 34C and a Rapira Platinum Lux makes shaving a joy, again. In fact, I've not be able to shave daily in years; but with the above, shaving daily is doable if I choose to do it--I made this discovery this week. Shaved three days in a row and have not had an issue with a daily shave schedule and my skin has yet to rebel against daily (two-pass) shaves.

Merkur 34c HD
I kept returning to it like an open bag of chips. Sold almost all my other DEs. If on an island with one razor only... I only wish Merkur made a better quality 34c HD.

Bali BD 176
(The $11 DE that, for me, rivals those many times its cost.)
I used to like Techs (1960s models), and found a modern Tech in the very inexpensive Bali BD 176; but I replaced the stock handle an Ikon 85mm--it's my second favorite razor along with my 'fleet' of Merkur 34c HDs. Also, the hard case from the Bali 176 fits the 34c as if it were made for it--symbiosis at it's $11 best.
I agree! Wish they would offer a limited edition stainless model.

Previously my favorite was the Lupo .72
Then I got the ATT Windsor .80 and it blew the Lupo away.
Now I got the Karve CB brass with the D plate and I'm stuck
between the two. The Karve is phenomenal!
I guess I'm in denial that it might be better than the Windsor😕

Previously my favorite was the Lupo .72
Then I got the ATT Windsor .80 and it blew the Lupo away.
Now I got the Karve CB brass with the D plate and I'm stuck
between the two. The Karve is phenomenal!
I guess I'm in denial that it might be better than the Windsor😕
What's better about it?

Man I want to say the PAA Ascension Select DOC razor is my best because I really enjoy using it.
But it just can't beat the Rockwell 6C. My Rockwell gives me consistent and phenomenal shaves no matter what blade is in it.
#1 goes to the Rockwell 6C for dependability and consistency.

Top Bottom