What's new

Your best razor is....

Timeless Slim Open Comb. Must have a scalloped cap, otherwise it's just not the same.

Runners up (a pitiful way to post more than one razor, please indulge me): Wunderbar, Apollo Light, Greencult

Also, let me make some idle threats on this forum: Timeless, I NEED the CROWN handle in stainless steel.
I threaten not to buy it if you do not release it.
I will promise to buy it if you do. :thumbup1:

What about the Blackbird? You have only the open comb version, right?

I have both. The OC is more efficient than the SB, but requires some more riding of the cap to be smooth. I would rather shave with the Game Changer .84 OC and clones than with either.

Does that mean that you also find the Greencult better than the SB Blackbird as well? Isn't the efficiency of both similar?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Does that mean that you also find the Greencult better than the SB Blackbird as well? Isn't the efficiency of both similar?
The Blackbird has a better finish and style, the OC is more efficient but I find it hard to use without getting scared by the blade. The Greencult is an aggressive razor as well, but much easier to handle than the Blackbird OC. Most seem to talk about the SB Blackbird, it's more efficient than the Rocca and also a bit better than the GC .84 SB. It's also smooth and easy to use. You might recall I found the Blackbird the perfect case for a dual head design. The OC side is too much for me and requires a lot of cap riding to work out, which isn't my preferred style. The SB side is more forgiving, but there I have quite some razors that give me a closer shave. The Blackbird has a recess in the baseplate where the handle screws in, making it hard for many other handles to fit. In general it has a bed unique style so they wouldn't fit the style anyways.

The Blackbird is a very good razor, but it definitely isn't in my closer circle of favorites. I would love to give a dual comb version a try though, the extremely close but for me difficult OC plus the smooth and easy but not as efficient SB side would be a good combo.

If you are undecided which razor to buy, give high lumen and candela flashlights a try. Just bought a Fenix LR40R some hours ago to find bottles in my wine cellar.

I think it would take a Wolfman to beat the Timeless Slim OC with its nice scallops for me. This razor scrapes extremely well, it's not smooth as the other timeless heads, but I found it extremely efficient, which the .95 scalloped bar head wasn't for me.

I saw reviews where YouTubers found the .95 and .5 Timeless head similarly efficient and shaving bed much identical, which absolutely didn't compute for me and made me suspicious tbh.

I wish you good luck guessing what might be the perfect razor for you. I believe you should rather try the Blutt / Stando / Yates type route of razors clamping the blade a lot. I hesitate to recommend the Slim for everyone, a well respected shaving buddy can only use it every 3 days as it irritates his skin a lot.

The Blackbird has a better finish and style, the OC is more efficient but I find it hard to use without getting scared by the blade. The Greencult is an aggressive razor as well, but much easier to handle than the Blackbird OC. Most seem to talk about the SB Blackbird, it's more efficient than the Rocca and also a bit better than the GC .84 SB. It's also smooth and easy to use. You might recall I found the Blackbird the perfect case for a dual head design. The OC side is too much for me and requires a lot of cap riding to work out, which isn't my preferred style. The SB side is more forgiving, but there I have quite some razors that give me a closer shave. The Blackbird has a recess in the baseplate where the handle screws in, making it hard for many other handles to fit. In general it has a bed unique style so they wouldn't fit the style anyways.

The Blackbird is a very good razor, but it definitely isn't in my closer circle of favorites. I would love to give a dual comb version a try though, the extremely close but for me difficult OC plus the smooth and easy but not as efficient SB side would be a good combo.

If you are undecided which razor to buy, give high lumen and candela flashlights a try. Just bought a Fenix LR40R some hours ago to find bottles in my wine cellar.

I think it would take a Wolfman to beat the Timeless Slim OC with its nice scallops for me. This razor scrapes extremely well, it's not smooth as the other timeless heads, but I found it extremely efficient, which the .95 scalloped bar head wasn't for me.

I saw reviews where YouTubers found the .95 and .5 Timeless head similarly efficient and shaving bed much identical, which absolutely didn't compute for me and made me suspicious tbh.

I wish you good luck guessing what might be the perfect razor for you. I believe you should rather try the Blutt / Stando / Yates type route of razors clamping the blade a lot. I hesitate to recommend the Slim for everyone, a well respected shaving buddy can only use it every 3 days as it irritates his skin a lot.

I've recently bought the SB version of the Blackbird, but it would take a lot before I it arrives for me to try it. I might try a Wolfman at some point as well, but not in the foreseeable future.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just bought another Fenix PD35. They've upgraded it to 1700 lumens. My old model still works great but the new one is even better. Fenix PD35 V3.0 Everyday Carry Flashlight - 1700 Lumens - https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-pd35-v3-0-everyday-carry-flashlight-1700-lumens/

The only negative? My old style rechargeable 18650 batteries don't work in it. I always order a couple extras anyway so I'm good. I just didn't know they'd changed the design.

My favorite is the Gillette Toggle F4. To me it gives the best shave, looks the most handsome, represents a milestone in shaving history, and is fun to use - it makes me smile to shave with a Toggle. (And I think it is fun to say “Toggle“.)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is as close as I get to answering this question..... ;)

Big Dog Alpha Razors:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC

:) :cool:

I’ve tried atleast 100 modern razors from around the world from cheapos, to the highest end.

For my skin and face the best of the best
De category-
Mild- karve overlander and lambda Athena
Medium-h&s efficient
Aggressive- h&s aggressive.Blackbird ti is great but I couldn’t get a handle that wasn’t wobbly in the stand so had to return it.

Adjustable category-
sailor 2021 and konsul. Sailor 2020 shaves the best but the weight is too much for my preference.

AC style category- general with a pro super. Paradigm se second. Oneblade Genesis and vector distant third.

Merkur 34c HD
I kept returning to it like an open bag of chips. Sold almost all my other DEs. If on an island with one razor only... I only wish Merkur made a better quality 34c HD.

Bali BD 176
(The $11 DE that, for me, rivals those many times its cost.)
I used to like Techs (1960s models), and found a modern Tech in the very inexpensive Bali BD 176; but I replaced the stock handle an Ikon 85mm--it's my second favorite razor along with my 'fleet' of Merkur 34c HDs. Also, the hard case from the Bali 176 fits the 34c as if it were made for it--symbiosis at it's $11 best.

Pearl Flexi adjustable!
I'm amazed every time I use it. Shaves great (smooth and close), works great (adjustable mechanism is tight), looks great and is incredibly well built. I guess the price is what it is because they keep costs down in India. But this thing is easily worth 3 times what it sells for.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
While I don't necessarily share or understand why some people love exactly this or that particular razor so much, I would like to encourage more people to come out of the woods and tell which razor they love and why.

I just had a revelation shave. My favorite razor, a Timeless Slim OC, paired with a blade I usually don't have on my radar, an Astra Superior Stainless, absolutely wow-ed me.

Top Bottom