What's new

Your best point shooting handgun

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You know...for point shoulder shooting out to about 10 yards or so. The handgun that you are best with where you can keep them all in the 10 ring on a B-27 target, or if you are getting muscle memory down the one where you can point the muzzle (with an unloaded firearm and no ammo even in the room of course) at a light switch...the switch itself not the plate...or at an electrical outlet, or a drinking glass across two rooms, etc., etc., and when you look down the sights it is dead on.

My best one by far is my S&W 681. Which one is your favorite?

IMG_0005.JPG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mine was a 1911 .45 Ejercito Argentino Modelo 1927 much like the one pictured below.

8d8d71701105493c884b4323df08d3ed.jpg

Well worn in, you could grip the slide and wiggle it lol. It fed, fired and ejected every .45 shell that I put in it and would easily keep the entire mag in the black at 25 if I looked at the target.

I dont know what it was about that particular 1911. I've shot many other 1911's and I shoot them well, but that one was special and I didnt know it until it was to late after I traded it off over 20 years ago.

It still lives, and is shooting IPSC, possibly at this very moment as they shoot Tuesday nights at my club lol.

Edit to add: That gun with a two handed grip and a little concentration, would put the entire mag into one ragged hole at the same range.

E178EC0B-B1AA-4893-A7B9-9E725947C271.jpeg
971D0DCB-DD67-4127-A201-8A2309BA65DA.jpeg
C7B4E02B-F61A-497A-B03F-6C813BF739E9.jpeg
D2665238-A394-44FF-AF18-76C805F78B31.jpeg

Runner up-Glock 30S (top target

Undisputed Top of the Heap-Browning Hi Power. As Merle Haggard said (referring to George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey), “Ain’t nothing finer.” (bottom target)

Last edited:
An older West German Sig Sauer P225. It’s got that “natural extension of the hand” thing going on. Actually shoot it better than the 2 full size 226’s, or just about any handgun I own. Bizarre for a fairly compact pistol. An older Sig Trailside .22 (the one Hammerli made for Sig)is a very close 2nd.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@Esox My 1911 is second to my 681...probably because I've shot the 681 more and for longer.

@Acmemfg I really, really want a Hi-Power. Never even shot one.

To make sure everyone is on the same page...this is for point shooting when not using the sights...not aimed fire using the sights. AKA instinct shooting.

I'm looking at you Acme...those point shooting groups look like aimed fire. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
You aren't going to like it Mike, but it's my tupperware. Some guys I shoot with often were looking at some new sights one of them had installed when we were waiting for a match to start. One looked at me and said "These are sights. You know, those little bumps on the slide that you never look at."

My HK has served me very well in many matches from defensive to steel and around 80K rounds, and it still shoots better than I do. I've owned 1911s, Rugers, EEA, Sigs, Walther, Taurus, Springfield, and a few others. Shot Hi-Powers, Glocks, Berettas, and a slew of others. But if I could only ever have one for the rest of my life, this one is it.

It doesn't just fit me, but when it clears the holster, it is a part of me. You just can't trade that for looks.

DSC_0478.JPG

The one that best makes hits for me while mimicking my pointing finger is this Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel. It's been shot on a regular basis since acquisition in the mid-1970s and is the handgun with which I've spent the most time practicing point shooting.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You aren't going to like it Mike, but it's my tupperware.

You get a pass on that Shawn...but only because it's an HK and my oldest son's name is Sean. :001_smile

Okay Acme...I'll see you on your groups from your High-Power and raise you...

50 rounds from my 681, point shoulder, at 125 yards.

IMG_0006.JPG

I also have some beachfront property in N.E. Oklahoma that I need to sell...I'll make you a great deal on it. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The one that best makes hits for me while mimicking my pointing finger is this Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel. It's been shot on a regular basis since acquisition in the mid-1970s and is the handgun with which I've spent the most time practicing point shooting.

I like that Tyler T on yours...I have one on my Cobra.

I've been considering getting a J frame Smith or an old Model 10...I'm leaning toward the Model 10 pencil barrel, even though it wouldn't point as well as your heavy barrel. I have a BK grip adapter for a K frame, but I'd just HAVE to get a Tyler for a Model 10.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My duty weapon because I practice with it the most and a very very close 2nd is my Ruger LCP .380 because it protects my family and I everywhere we go.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm a bit out of practice in shoulder point shooting. It's not something I did with much regularity. Most of my un-aimed fire practice has been from the hip, retention or contact/guard position where the gun is indexed somewhere against the body. That being said, my best shoulder point shooting pistol would have to be my 4 in. 686 S&W.

Hi Mike;

I've shot the Model 10 Heavy Barrel since the mid-1970s so am accustomed to its handling characteristics. I might go out on a limb though and state that the standard Smith & Wesson Model 4-inch Model 10 points quicker and better than the Heavy Barrel variant. Seems to be better balanced in the hand to me. When brought "into action" the standard tapered barrel may be directed to point without the initial inertia and subsequent extra momentum generated by the additional weight of the Heavy Barrel swung into action. The tapered barrel points like a wand (or one's finger). I think the Heavy Barrel was provided more as an effort to dampen recoil than improve handling. Examples of both styles of 4-inch Model 10s have been kept on hand for years. I cannot tell the difference in recoil between the two with heavy .38 Special loads, nor is any "recovery time" advantage noted.

I had the tapered barrel Model 10 out to the range last week just for fun and it was entertaining to put it through its paces. Liked it so well that I chose it rather than the "old faithful" Heavy Barrel as the side arm choice for an all-night security stint at a gun show over the past weekend.

Here is a photo of the results of a rapid double-action effort with the Model 10 Heavy Barrel on an occasion when I was in a "shooting humor." Realistically, a flash sight picture was used for the 6-round effort. I think it was 10 yards but can't recall. Distance is scribbled on the target but I can't make it out.

Just ran onto this site describing flash sight shooting on an internet search.
How to Flash Sight a Pistol (Handgun)

Can't agree with all the statements contained within the page.

"While point-shooting sounds like a great idea (to be able to naturally point at a target), it is (for 99% of people) a very bad idea at less than touching distances.Past three or four yards, it may be impossible to get reliable hits on center-mass of a target."
Yeah, in my view you can do quite a bit better than three or four yards with a handgun with which you are familiar. 10 yards is reasonable.

Under the "These Are the Basics" section the argument appears to be made in favor flash sighting, however "the Basics" have returned to point shooting by the end of the piece.

AWA.jpg

I have a pair of American Western Arms SAA clones I shoot Cowboy Action with. Generally I shoot revolvers a lot more instinctive than pistols.

proxy.php

Elmer Keith in a publicity shot.

It was common for law enforcement to train in point shooting for close work, much faster than aiming. With today's LE budgets, we were lucky to get one training day a year. Even so we still trained on point shooting back to 7 yds once in a rare while.

Top Bottom