What's new

Your Best Local Pizza

My brother was in Cambodia and they went to a Pizza Hut Clone, “Pizza Shack”.
When they placed their order, they were asked if they’d like their Pizza “happy”. Yeah, okay sure.
My brother peeled back the cheese to see a base of green paste. As lunch progressed, they and all the Europeans in the restaurant became very, very happy.

I haven't found really good pizza here in the Phoenix area. It may be hopeless, because I grew up with New York and New Jersey pizza, which is awesome.

Probably have to do it myself. I finally nailed the crust, thanks to that guy who made the huge web page (building the gluten strands with a batter and then adding the rest of the flour is a genius trick). But something about the cheese-sauce-oil synergy eludes me.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
LaManda's in White Plains, NY. Nothing fancy--just a spaghetti-and-meatball joint, really--but the best damn pizza in the universe. God, how I miss that place! (It's still there. I'm the one who's moved.)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I am an east coast urban dweller who currently lives in exile near Dayton, Ohio. Sadly, in my experience the best local pizzas are found about 750 miles east of here.

I live within a 15 minute drive of four of the best pizza places in the country.

Of New Haven’s big 4 my favorite is Modern Apizza because it has the most seating and therefore the shortest wait. And you can actually get sandwiches and salads there if you want them.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Asheville Pizza & Brewing is a solid local Pizza chain with three locations, one right around the corner from my 'hood. They are also very popular as a microbrewery.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Black Bear Pizza is a nice little mom & pop pizza joint, also less than 2 miles away

1633180907353.jpeg

but our current reining favorite is Fresh Pizza - a local wood fired oven pizza restaurant with 2 locations, we typically hit the West location in the River Arts District.

proxy.php

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I live within a 15 minute drive of four of the best pizza places in the country.

Of New Haven’s big 4 my favorite is Modern Apizza because it has the most seating and therefore the shortest wait. And you can actually get sandwiches and salads there if you want them.

When I jokingly posted above that the "best local pizzas" in the Dayton, Ohio area were about 750 miles to the east of Dayton I was thinking specifically of New Haven, Connecticut.

We live in the far south ‘burbs of Chicago.Within 15 minutes of us are two great houses.
Aurelio’s, original, founded in 1959. There are 15 franchises.
Chicago Dough. They were founded in 1970. They have two other locations.
If you’re willing to drive 20 minute we have two Lou Malnottis.

I have a brother who lives in Eatontown and i think there is more great pizza per capita than in any other state in the US.
I grew up in Central Jersey, and it's true: your local pizza place is the best one. To this day, in my estimation, all pizza is compared to Tony's.

Oh man. I grew up in the DC area, and while not known for its pizza, there were a bunch of great options. There was a place in Adams Morgan on 18th street that stayed open past the bars that had slices the size of a large Dominos pizza for 4 bucks. It was not the best pizza, but it was when you needed it to be. Forgotten the name, sadly, and as long as I’ve been away, may not exist. Where I live now in Massachusetts, despite the fact my town is known for its’ restaurant scene, the food is unbelievably mediocre. I order pizza from the place most likely to put the correct toppings on it. But it doesn’t matter. They all use the same dough and sauce and stuff from Sysco, and who’s working that night and how much they care has a way bigger impact than which place. We do have a domino’s, but I’d rather put spaghetti sauce and American cheese on an English muffin than order from there.

Rosedale brick oven in Naples Florida for me. A great little family owned Italian restaurant that’s about a block and a half away from my house

Oh man. I grew up in the DC area, and while not known for its pizza, there were a bunch of great options. There was a place in Adams Morgan on 18th street that stayed open past the bars that had slices the size of a large Dominos pizza for 4 bucks. It was not the best pizza, but it was when you needed it to be. Forgotten the name, sadly, and as long as I’ve been away, may not exist. Where I live now in Massachusetts, despite the fact my town is known for its’ restaurant scene, the food is unbelievably mediocre. I order pizza from the place most likely to put the correct toppings on it. But it doesn’t matter. They all use the same dough and sauce and stuff from Sysco, and who’s working that night and how much they care has a way bigger impact than which place. We do have a domino’s, but I’d rather put spaghetti sauce and American cheese on an English muffin than order from there.
DC area has Ledo's, which seems unusual to me. I remember the original location in College Park being better than the franchised locations, but the latter is better good and seems to be my family's fav. Pizza comes in a rectangle and the crust it like a pie crust. Flakey. Thin. I wonder if they use butter in it.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods be sure to check out Alfredo's Pizza Café. Just be careful you don't accidentally go to Pizza by Alfredo. There is a very big difference between these two pizza places, both in quality of ingredients and in overall taste...

Actually I live in a very small town which only has a couple of pizza places. One is a chain where you get mediocre generally satisfactory pizza and the name of the other is the town's name followed by Pizza. That place serves excellent pizza with generous amounts of quality ingredients and cheese with a thinner crust that doesn't make you feel like you're filling up on bread. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it.

Grotto's in various locations on the Delaware/Maryland shore (and its website says some locations in Pennsylvania). It has been a while, but I think this is my favorite pizza ever and I do not think it is just because I am at the shore and otherwise having a good time. Back in the day, at least, it seemed to me they really used quality ingredients--good olive oil, fresh, well-handled crust dough, good quality cheese--to make a very traditional US-style thin crust pizza. I like gourmet-type pizza, too, this is not an anti-snob posting. For all I know they could have been taken over and cheapened in the meantime!

For the past two years my son has been perfecting the art of the pizza. From the timing of how long to knead the dough, how long to chill, preheating the stones, and seasoning, he has become quite the pizza man. Crispy thin crust, perfectly baked, well seasoned. It doesn't get more local that right in your own kitchen.

IMG_20211015_183846547.jpg

After 15 years of being a parent . Every kids birthday party has had pizza. Usually a low quality pizza at that. When the wife and I do get a craving we like Pizza My Heart. They have great salads as well as some creative toppings.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods be sure to check out Alfredo's Pizza Café. Just be careful you don't accidentally go to Pizza by Alfredo. There is a very big difference between these two pizza places, both in quality of ingredients and in overall taste...

Actually I live in a very small town which only has a couple of pizza places. One is a chain where you get mediocre generally satisfactory pizza and the name of the other is the town's name followed by Pizza. That place serves excellent pizza with generous amounts of quality ingredients and cheese with a thinner crust that doesn't make you feel like you're filling up on bread. It's a bit more expensive but well worth it.
I always mix those two.

Here the best pizza is Pino's. Owner moved here from NJ so yeah. Pretty good.

Here the best pizza is Pino's. Owner moved here from NJ so yeah. Pretty good.

Our family likes NJ pizza. If anyone lives near New Brunswick or Somerset, try Somerset Pizza on Pierce. 15 years ago, a place called Fords Pizza made a great calamari pizza.

Top Bottom